• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question regarding HDMI and audio.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brutal-Force

I will probably be considered a newb, but since I hooked up my computer to my TV in the living room, sound has daunted me.

Since the only hookup for sound input I could see was a 3.5mm Jack, I have my sound card going into my TV through a 3.5mm Jack. I also have optical out (its the Xi Fi from my Asus Maximus), but I have the optical out from my TV to my Stereo.

I do not hook up to my TV through HDMI, although I could, I am still using a VGA cable. I have not bought a HDMI cable until I get some answers cleared. Does sound go through the HDMI cable? If so, is this a better option than through the 3.5mm Jack? I can't go optical in to my TV, so should I go optical out from PC --> Stereo and HDMI PC--TV. Will this cause problems playing both at once, i.e. Blue-ray movies from PC to TV and Stereo?

Answers appreciated. I know very little about HDMI.

To my understanding, HDMI can carry both High def video and audio, up to and including 7.1 surround sound.

But if you're using a video card, you need to connect a crossover cable in order to transmit sound through the HDMI cable.

Some cards can transmit audio across HDMI without anything extra. I have the MSI GT240 1GB/DDR5 and it supplies both audio and video to my TV. I just put it in the PCIe slot, loaded drivers and off it went.

Some cards require a connection from the mobo to the top of the card. This connector is usually near the top left of the card if looking from the bottom of the case. I am not sure about the 260, but you might find some info on the thread I had a few weeks ago. ---> Here

you have to have a video card that will support the transmission of digital audio over HDMI... BUT that being said, any gfx card with HDMI can be hooked to a tv.. and IMO its better to go from your sound card to your audio receiver and gfx card to your tv.

You could easily get a dvi to hdmi cable and and go to your tv, then go from the digital out on your xfi to the receiver.

I don't think my card is actually HDMI, I think its DVI, My TV is HDMI.

504-07_lg.jpg

my video card is the one on the left, my tv is the one on the right.

I suspect that you will need to connect a 2-wire S/PDIF cable from the mobo to the gfx card if you are talking about the components listed in your sig. In fact, the Maximus doesn't have S/PDIF pins. You'll use the S/PDIF pins on the add-in audio card to go to the gfx card's pins. Then the adapater willl allow you to connect a DVI port on the card to either your TV or receiver with an HDMI cable.

Since the GX260's only do S/PDIF pass-thru you'll be limited to audio formats S/PDIF bandwidth can handle even though you have an HDMI connection. That's limited to 2-channel uncomressed PCM and 5.1 compressed DTS/AC3. No HD Audio formats (like those found on blu-ray). No 5.1/7.1 uncompressed PCM.

I run Optical from my PC to the receiver and HDMI as well. I only use 5.1 so I am not losing anything by doing this but if I was going to go up to 7.1 I would need HDMI only.

You can get a connection cable to go from your audio to pass through with the HDMI signal but I have little use and no need for this as my receiver only does pass through and does not accept HDMI audio.

I run Optical from my PC to the receiver and HDMI as well. I only use 5.1 so I am not losing anything by doing this but if I was going to go up to 7.1 I would need HDMI only.

You can get a connection cable to go from your audio to pass through with the HDMI signal but I have little use and no need for this as my receiver only does pass through and does not accept HDMI audio.

not true.... my downstairs htpc is hooked to a yamaha htr-5890 receiver w/ a 7.1setup via an optical cable from the sound card that just does spdif passthrough. i can do 7.1 Dts neo 6 + ES without a problem.

as far as the op

just grab one of these
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10231&cs_id=1023104&p_id=2404&seq=1&format=2

the hdmi and dvi video signal are exactly the same... its just hdmi has an extra wire or two to carry the digital audio.

Back