• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC BIOS options

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Coreyoliseffect

I was wanting to see what others had chosen in their BIOS for a Q9400 and P5Q-E mobo if possible. I have gotten my OC to 3.34GHz decently stable but it still BSODs at times. There are days when the comp will run all day, usually on WoW, and never BSOD and others where it will BSOD every couple of hours. I have made it to the point where I have been messing with the ref voltages and they seem to make the biggest difference. I am still pushing for 4.0GHz using the hardware listed in my comment. I have some old threads that have pics and such posted. I just wanted to get this thread going to see if I could catch a better idea or if I might have a light bulb moment before I get back into messing with my OCing again this weekend. As always thanks for any suggestions/help! :comp:

Something that I did want to throw out there is if the RAM could be a limiting factor. When I ordered the RAM it was really cheap on newegg. I like it but from what I read the 1066MHz that it says it is is really because it is OCed. It is actually 800MHz. I have tried running it at 1066 while OCed and it is completely unstable. I have it running at 8xxMHz right now. Of course the lower setting has helped a lot. Just to throw that out there. :p Thanks again!

Give these settings a try for 3.6GHz...
Code:
ASUS P5Q-E Template :

JumperFree Configuration Settings
AI Overclock tuner: MANUAL
CPU Ratio Setting: 8.0
FSB Frequency: 450
PCI-E Frequency: 101
FSB Strap to North Bridge: AUTO
DRAM Frequency: DDR2-900Mhz
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel A1: AUTO
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel A2: AUTO
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel B1: AUTO
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel B2: AUTO
DRAM Timing Control: MANUAL

1st Information : 

CAS# Latency: 5
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay: 5
DRAM RAS# Precharge: 5
DRAM RAS# Activate to Precharge: 15
RAS# to RAS# Delay : AUTO
Row Refresh Cycle Time: AUTO
Write Recovery Time: AUTO
Read to Precharge Time: AUTO

2nd Information :

READ to WRITE Delay (S/D): AUTO
Write to Read Delay (S): AUTO
WRITE to READ Delay (D): AUTO
READ to READ Delay (S): AUTO
READ to READ Delay (D): AUTO
WRITE to WRITE Delay (S): AUTO
WRITE to WRITE Delay (D): AUTO

3rd Information :

WRITE to PRE Delay: AUTO
READ to PRE Delay: AUTO
PRE to PRE Delay: AUTO
ALL PRE to ACT Delay: AUTO
ALL PRE to REF Delay: AUTO
DRAM Static Read Control: AUTO
DRAM Read Training: AUTO
MEM. OC Charger: AUTO
AI Clock Twister: AUTO
AI Transaction Booster: Manual
Common Performance Level: 8

CPU Voltage: 1.35
CPU GTL Voltage Reference (0/2): 0.67
CPU GTL Voltage Reference (1/3): 0.675
CPU PLL Voltage: 1.56
FSB Termination Voltage: 1.28
DRAM Voltage: 2.10
NB Voltage: 1.34
NB GTL Reference: 0.640
SBridge Voltage: 1.20
PCIE SATA Voltage: 1.60

Load Line Calibration: Enabled
CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled
CPU Clock Skew : Auto
NB Clock Skew : Auto
CPU Margin Enhancement: Optimized

Advance CPU Settings
C1E Suppport: Disabled
Max CPUID Value Limit: Disabled
Intel® Virtualization Tech: Enabled
CPU TM Function: Enabled
Execute Disable Bit: Disabled

I found the REF voltages are key.

I agree. After a certain point I noticed that that was the only thing that made a difference. At one point I had tried changing the timings on theRAM and that didn't really help any. The first time that someone mentioned ref voltage I was a bit lost. I read up on it and understand it somewhat but I don't feel that I have the entire picture. I have played with them both up and down. Seems to be that a little up from default is the best direction. Thanks for the help again Red. I remember your name from some earlier posts. I will give those a try this weekend and see how things go. Can i bother to ask you where you found that template?

If I am not mistaken the Clock Twister also made a big difference. I have it set to moderate now I think it is after having it set on strong and seeming to get more frequent BSODs. :comp:

It worked!

Awesome! Thanks for the help red. Here is a pic that shows 10 passes on LinX and then I played CoD4 for about a hour.

I am a little confused however. My FSB was much higher than what you had said to put it at for 3.6 GHz. I have always had the multiplier at 8. Why would it be that I am now at 3.6 instead of 3.34? Same temps and everything.
36linx5.png

I just went back and double checked. All of my settings were the same. The only thing that I changed was the FSB, and I turned that down... I am running Prime now. Gonna see how it does overnight. I would think though that after 10 passes on LinX and some CoD4 action the system should be pretty stable. Thanks for the help again Red. You helped me without helping me. lol I am sure that I will need that info later. :comp:

Last edited:
So I am at it again and am happy to report that I have gotten much farther than my last post. I have gotten my system up to 3.90GHz and stable. The only issue that I encountered was recently after playing Bioshock for ~3 hours. This same OC had been tested in P95 for >6 hours prior. Yes I spend a lot of time on games. I am a former WoW player after all so >=3 hours is no biggie. Anyway, this got me working on my system again.
As you can see I have started a HMbot profile and am seriously thinking of trying to get into the benching team. Before I do this however I would like to max out my OC. I am shooting for temps at or under 60C. I had read at somewhere :rolleyes:that the temps would be safe up to 70C but I want my chip to last a decent while and not be black when I pull it out of my mobo.
I use LinX for a quick check before I start in on P95. I will attach two screens of the LinX tests. I run 5 passes and if it survives I run 10. One right after the other. Along the way I had been having some issues with LinX failing on 5 or 10 passes the first time and then passing the second time. I ran these tests back to back as well.

Here are my settings: Please disregard the blue text.
Code:
ASUS P5Q-E Template :

FSB Frequency: 495
PCI-E Frequency: 100
FSB Strap to North Bridge: 400 MHz
DRAM Frequency: Auto
DRAM Timing Control: Auto

1st Information : 5-5-5-15-3-54-6-3

[COLOR="Blue"]CAS# Latency: 5
Read to Precharge Time: AUTO[/COLOR]

2nd Information : 8-3-5-4-6-4-7

[COLOR="Blue"]READ to WRITE Delay (S/D): AUTO
WRITE to WRITE Delay (D): AUTO[/COLOR]

3rd Information : 14-5-1-6-6

[COLOR="Blue"]WRITE to PRE Delay: AUTO
ALL PRE to REF Delay: AUTO[/COLOR]
DRAM Static Read Control: Disabled
DRAM Read Training: Disabled
MEM. OC Charger: Enabled
AI Transaction Booster: Auto

CPU Voltage: 1.53750
CPU GTL Voltage Reference (0/2): 0.625
CPU GTL Voltage Reference (1/3): 0.665
CPU PLL Voltage: 1.80
FSB Termination Voltage: Auto
DRAM Voltage: 2.20
NB Voltage: 1.40
NB GTL Reference: 0.670
SBridge Voltage: Auto
PCIE SATA Voltage: Auto

CPU Margin Enhancement: Compatible

Advance CPU Settings
Intel® Virtualization Tech: Disabled
Execute Disable Bit: Enabled

I had tried the settings that red suggested some time ago and it didn't help. I ended up turning the FSB down and that raised my OC. I was a bit confused by this. Any and all suggestions on the above settings are appreciated!
p953880overnight.png

This is a test overnight on P95.
395910p.png

LinX 5 passes. Test pass.
395910f.png

LinX 10 failed.
39595p.png

LinX 10 pass.

As I said I run all the LinX tests back to back. Hope the pics and info helps you help me. Thanks again!

So you couldn't get your ram to run at 1066? I guess you're pretty close.

I had a set of OCZ reaper HPC 1066 on a P5Q-E, they did 1066 just fine but couldn't go past 1100mhz.

When you say you turn down your FSB, you turned it down to 485? It shows you were at 450 in the first screenshot you showed, then 485, then 495. Each time your processor speed went up. Just make sure you got yourself straight between the FSB, strap, and ram frequency, you probably should set your ram speed instead of leaving it at auto so you can choose the memory divider.

When I had first posted this message my FSB was at 485. Once Red commented I turned it down to 450 and did not change any other settings. For some odd reason this increased my CPU speed. I have then moved from there to where I am stuck now at 495 FSB.

I have not been able to replicate the results at 495 FSB. I did go ahead and manually set the RAM timings. In my pic it shows that my max voltage was 1.50. I now have it set to 1.55 and I am still having issues with freezing during the LinX tests. I was wondering waht the max voltage that I can apply is. I am trying to make it to 4.0GHz without breaking the 60C mark. I am going to go look up the Intel specs now but if anyone has any info on the voltages that they have had to use on this chip please let me know.
Thanks,
Corey

I finally got it to do 10 passes on LinX the temp is above what I had hoped though. I decided to test it out while playing some CoD4 single player and it was working great until it has to load the next map or save the game. At which point it usually freezes and the sounds stutters. Any thoughts on the diagnosis? This is the part of OCing that I hate, as I do not know how to figure out what to change.

Give these adjustments a try w/ possibly <1.5 Vcore (~1.45V)...
Code:
AI Clock Twister: Light
AI Transaction Booster: Manual 
Common Performance Level: 8 (all pull-ins enabled for all 5 phases of both RAM channels A&B)

CPU GTL Voltage Reference (0/2): Auto
CPU GTL Voltage Reference (1/3): Auto
CPU PLL Voltage: 1.58 (your current 1.80V is way too high)
FSB Termination Voltage: 1.28-1.34
NB Voltage: 1.36

CPU Clock Skew: Delay 100ps
NB Clock Skew: Delay 200-250ps

Last edited:
You are pushing that Q9400 pretty hard with those voltages...nice to know it can take it for my personal reference!

Are you running your memory in spec? http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr2_pc2_8500_reaper_hpc_4gb_edition

Sounds like you were confusing FSB with your memory speed at some point. It doesn't appear you turned your FSB down just played with the memory divider/strap.

I have the DRAM voltage at 2.2. I spoke with a OCZ rep directly and he said to set it at that. I have 2 kits installed, I wager that is what is giving me some difficulty. I am not to worried about the voltage as my temps are still under 70C. I ran LinX last night and it made it to 65C so I want to cut back on the voltage a bit but I have to know that it is not one of the other options causing issues first.

I have decided to go back to what Red suggested at 3.6GHz mark. I am not able to narrow down the different settings to know which one(s) are causing the issue. I have put the settings that I did have into a notepad on my Unbuntu install on my laptop. That is my new little toy. That is a whole different story though.

Red, just to let you know, I did give the settings that you suggested on 05-21-10 11:49 AM a try. It seems that everything is fine until I change the Common Performance Level. For some reason it won't even load into Win at that point.

As I said I am going to go back and try changing one thing at a time so taht I can provide some better feedback. Thanks again for all of the help!

So my task of trying to get rid of as many variables as possible has helped me a little bit I would think.

Code:
ASUS P5Q-E Template :

FSB Frequency: 485
DRAM Frequency: 970MHz
DRAM Timing Control: Manual

CPU Voltage: 1.50
CPU GTL Voltage Reference (0/2): AUTO
CPU GTL Voltage Reference (1/3): AUTO
CPU PLL Voltage: AUTO
NB Voltage: AUTO
NB GTL Reference: 0.680

CPU Margin Enhancement: Compatible

Advance CPU Settings

I hope that getting rid of some of the extra settings will help. One thing that I have noticed. Everytime hat I set the NB GTL RefV to AUTO I have to re-flash my BIOS. As you can imagine this has become very annoying so I have decided to leave it as is.

As I was posting this I was also letting the comp run LinX on 5 and 10 passes. It has passed both of those beautifully. I will let P95 run overnight just to make sure.

Red, :rock:. That is all.

So P95 didn't manage to make it overnight. It had an error on the first two workers after about 15 mins. I decided to go ahead and see if I could push past it. I have turned the FSB to 490 and am having issues with LinX making it past the first pass. I have also pushed the CPU Voltage up two notches and still the same problem. I have noticed that the NB GTL Reference Voltage is a big player. I turned it up to .700 and I can no longer POST or if I turn it down the BIOS, well doesn't let me in. NB GTL RefV seems to be the best set around .670-.680. Any thoughts?

The End... for now.

So I think that I am going to close this thread. Looks like 3.94GHz is going to end up being my top since I can't seem to get it stable after that. i might tweak it a little bit in the future but for now I am happy again.

I just got done running it through my version of a stress test. I usually run a game and listen to music as this has always caused the system to crash in the past. I was playing a little Crysis until I realized that the AI is just stupid and I had to quit before I caught a case of it. I just got the game two days ago as a side note. Yes, I am a cheap ***. Hints the processor and OC. :p

Anyway, here are my final BIOS settings:
Code:
ASUS P5Q-E Template :

FSB Frequency: 490
DRAM Frequency: DDR2-980MHz
DRAM Timing Control: Manual

CPU Voltage: 1.53750
CPU GTL Voltage Reference (0/2): AUTO
CPU GTL Voltage Reference (1/3): AUTO
CPU PLL Voltage: AUTO
NB Voltage: AUTO
NB GTL Reference: 0.680

Load Line Calibration: Auto

Advance CPU Settings

Hope that this helps someone in the future. Just in case I am still around here is my setup that I used just for good measure.

Q9400 (2.66)@3.94GHz
ASUS P5Q-E BIOS Rev 2101
OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 4X2GB
Segate Barracuda 1TB X2 RAID
NVidia GeForce 9800 GTX+
Cooler Master UPC 700W
6 120mm Case Fans
Swiftech 3X120 Rad with 3 UHS Panaflos

Well I am back again. The reason that I am back is not particularity a jolly one. As I stated in my last post I was happy with the stability of my system for now. Well for now is over. I was watching a movie the other day and my system froze. Then a little later on it did the same thing again. To the best of my knowledge this would mean that I need to raise the VCore but if I remember correctly I had done that at one point in time and the stability did not get any better. The last post contains my settings that I am currently running. Any thoughts on where I should start?

Back