• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help Planning First WC Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

campbelldeluxe

Hello Everyone!
I am new to this forum and I am planning to do my first WC build. I have all of the computer components in my cart and ready to order but I haven't decided on any WC parts yet. The components are as follows:

CORSAIR 800D CASE
ASUS P6X58D Premium MOBO
Intel Core i7-930 PROC
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 @ 8-8-8-24 @1.65V RAM
CORSAIR CMPSU-1000HX 1000W PSU
2X WD Raptor 150GB Hard Drives RAID 0
WD CAVIAR Blue 500GB Hard Drive
GTX 480 or Radeon 5970 (Haven't Decided)

I am having a hard time deciding on WC components and what I actually need for this rig. I am planning on overclocking both the cpu and gpus (I will adding another gpu in a few months) and I am not sure the best way to go about cooling it. Here are my main questions:

Should i worry about cooling the north bridge/southbridge/voltage regulator? If so should I include those in my cpu loop?

What size RADs should I need for a two loop system? One rad cooling CPU/Chipset and the other RAD cooling either 2 GTX 480s or 2 5970s.

I am thinking of 2 5.25" bay reservoirs. Is that enough?

How many/what kind of fittings should I expect to get?

I am new to water cooling and I haven't been into overclocking really since P4 days. I have been reading forums and researching this for awhile and I wanted to get some opinions before I made the plunge. I can afford to spend about $500 on the WC components. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

:welcome: to the Forums

res wise any size to none is good. they serve to make it easy to fill and collect any gas in the loop (im doing easy first. drunked, feel like ive been hit with a shovel and had my legs stolen :-/)

G1/4 3/8 fittings will do nice, can go half inch but its more cosmetic than benefit.

north bridge can be an ok idea to cool, as its not the cooler running amd stuff.

the new GPU`s hmmm I need to study up and get the opinion of how they go... like a barbecue I think #Laughs# you may need a couple of triple rads at least to tame that lot :)

If you haven't already got the Raptors consider a pair of Samsung F3s instead, they're faster.

are you concerned about noise?
aesthetically there are some hella pretty res's out there.

I use primarily danger den stuff and love it. a lot of people like swiftech. get a solid pump. the swiftech mc655 is nice. they have some interesting pump/res combos out there now.

do you have a price limit? how important is the money aspect of it?
for rads I use feser triples with the noctua low speed fans.

you can look in my sig to see the machine specs but the machine runs an SMP FaH client and a gpu FaH client all the time. the cores average 58C. the gpu 42c. the hd hits 48 and I am in the process of adding a second pump and hd cooling and another rad. however....I am doing that for redundancy sake for the pumps and I had spare parts:)

I also vent through the case. I will probably change that a bit. the set up as it is gets rid of enough heat to literally heat the room.

Back