• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help with water cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

arcanise

hey guys, just joined and i was hoping you all could help me out.

ive been building computers for years now, and im a computer tech in the marine corp, but ive never even looked too heavily on water cooling. heres my current build and its all fans, and well lets face it fans get loud and dusty, so lets see what you guys can do for me, budget ~$500

cooler master sniper case
intel core i7 960
ASUS P6X58D Premium
nvidia gtx 260 (upgrading to the 470 soon)
1 64 GB kingston SSD
1 500 GB HDD
1 1 TB HDD
XFX Black Edition P1-750B-CAG9 750W power supply

that should be all you guys need to know.

:welcome: to the Forums.

we can cure your noise but theres still fans in the equation and the joy of dust "cakes" blocking your radiators from time to time :)

certain others will chime in... im taking my brain off-line its seven in the morning here and "I is V tired"

i`ll chime in a little later :thup:

lol yeah im stationed in iwakuni japan right now, 1510 right now.

Semper Fi Arcanise. $500 you should be able to WC your CPU and VGA. I hear the 470 is a noisy space heater so make sure you have enough rad for that monster. I'm not familiar with that case so I don't know what rads will fit in it or what mods may need to be done. Here's a link for some testing and reviews on WC components.

http://www.skinneelabs.com/

anyhow looks like options are 2x120 "wrestled" into the top & maybe a 3x120 off the back.

not sure just yet (not been looking) on what a Nv470 wants minimum to tame it :shrug:
and as for a WB well we need to know the exact card where dealing with at the time.

if you want quiet then we need to look at the lower FPI rads so we can steer clear of the "jet turbines" required to drive them #Laughs#

heres a link to a hole bunch of rads, info & links

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=626885

i also did wc for silence. you can reduce a lot of the dust with filters. the prefilters for most hepa filtratiosn systems work and don;t reduce airflow a ton. shake out the carbon though. also some places sell fan covers with built in filters. they are more expensive but do the same thing and look a little prettier.

hrmm i was hoping there would be a kit i could just pick up that would fit what i need with minimal modification or none at all, and im not too worried about noise, im just worried about heat more than anything, i plan on OC and not just typical OC either im very determined to get my new i7 to 4.3GHz

to be honest i dont even know where to begin with water cooling, from what i can tell this is what ill need

cpu block
gpu block
liquid tank
tubing
pump
radiator?
i do see two holes in the back of my desktop that are advertised for water cooling, why would the water tubing ever need to exit the case? im pretty sure i can mount one of these radiators on the top of my case and have it blow the air up and out.

=[ i live in a military barracks so im trying to condense all of this inside the case. i was thinking i could mount one at the bottom and one on top for 2 rads?

look at the link in my sig and you can see what went into the build including how it fits. you can start with a kit but get a nice one or you will end up replacing all the parts as you get the bug to wc:)

for 500 you can get a nice setup. the only difference between a kit and building your own is the planning part. cause really, you still have to install the parts whether from a kit or parts purchase. but i understand the desire:)

mounting rads and fans is no problem, i just dont have the tools/time to mod the case all too much so i need stuff that fits the preset holes

true but you most parts are the same tools you'd need to put on any parts. as for teh radiator, my original build had it velcro mounted to the top:)

see i can figure out how to put it all together, i just need links for equipment because i have no idea how much room i have vs. how big the parts are, i dont want to end up with a radiator twice the size of my case

take look at the rad info I posted here, gives all the dimensions even diagrams of the designs with some.

something like the swiftech rads have a low FPI and you can asess if the case will handle a 2x120 up top.

then hang a 3x120 off the back, best I can suggest to attatch them and keep it all together :)

Q. WC`ers could someone give us some shopping links?.... dont think my UK lists gonna help here :)

yes links would be awesome im trying to figure out if buying separate parts or a kit would be the best

Back