• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how much arctic silver 5 on my phenom ii?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

treepop

I have some arctic silver 5 from like 3 yrs ago and am about to put like 3 dots of it on there....will this work fine?

I think the 1 blob method would work best with the PII. Even so it should be fine. It'll keep the PII alive at idle temps anyway. If the temps sky rocket when you start to put some stress on it then you'll know that it's gone bad.

I think it should last in excess of 5 years if it's still in the tube though. If it was applied it'll last about 3-4 years.

thanks guys that is what I did :)...I ended putting it on an i5, but I did the same none the less :)

I had to remove that gunk they put on the cooler....it was like sticky tack heh

I always use a single drop about the size of two large grain rice grains.

Well, more like 1 rice grain (after going to kitchen and seeing rice)

thanks TinyMouse for making me double check :)

I've been painting an X on my chips once they started using the IHS from corner to corner and it has always done better than the small drop/rice application *for me*

I did the line like the website suggested....just a thin line mind you...I wonder if my acrtic silver 5 is still okay.....it has been a couple years...MAN these temps seem high...I am running prime95 and am hitting 70c!

that being said....I was running a bit overclocked when I was running prime before and it shot to 99c in like a matter of seconds....I have a feeling the dot was not enough Artic silver 5 heh

I have not yet had any seep over the edges of the chip, it makes it just about to the boarder of the ihs sometimes a millimeter or 2 shy of the edge

70c ! 99c !! on a Phenom 2 ?!

I have not yet had any seep over the edges of the chip, it makes it just about to the boarder of the ihs sometimes a millimeter or 2 shy of the edge

70c ! 99c !! on a Phenom 2 ?!

i5....is this bad...I need to move this thread...but crap is that bad?

Should be alright but do you ever have an issue with the TIM seeping out over the sides?

If it's small amount and it's not runny, you can ignore it. If it's very runny or if you put way too much, clean it, keep an eye on it and clean it again if more oozes. If it still oozes, take heat sink off, clean it completely, and try smaller amount of TIM.

well CRAP!:bang head I now have to reapply it :rolleyes:

If it works dont bother. I read and tried hte "approved installation methods." IMHO it does not have any improvement at all.

Best bet is a small dollop or a few VERY small drops and smoosh hte ehatinsk on and twist it around ..... heat the CPU up smoosh it around some more. And call it a day.

Nothing worse than pulling off a heatsink and seeing that cake of paste in the center of the IHS IMHO.

the lines WOULD work good if the syringe had a smaller opening and the paste was a little tackier.

EDIT 70C? Over clocked on the stock cooler? More likely that is your issue than the TIM application.... not sure which PHii you have though

Back