• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mineral Oil Filled Case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark McCrea

I have read of people filling the bottom portion of a case with mineral oil, and submerging their motherboard in the mineral oil. This allowed them to lower the temperature of their system by the mineral oil conducting better than air. The mineral oil did not cover any fans or other moving parts.
I would like to know if it is possible to fill the case entirely with the mineral oil. The oil does not conduct electricity. I was planning on using pumps to circulate the oil to prevent any one area from over heating. The outside of the case will be heat sink and fans to remove heat there.
Does anyone know of any reason a water tight case could not be filled with mineral oil?

Possible??? I believe... yes!

But you probably already know that bu now,m considering when you posted your question.

link removed
-mbentley

Also a few pics in my profile.

Last edited by a moderator:
from what ive read, those machines do not last very long, they are usually taken apart after a little while to avoid damaging components, they are mostly for show.

It has been done numerous times (Google it ;)) but I have yet to see one that was worthwhile in terms of performance gains of any kind.

Hardcore Computer builds submerged systems with lots of heat output and they seem to work pretty well, though I haven't seen any recent reviews. Obviously it is more of a gimmick than anything, with the more centralized heat output of current computers it doesn't make much sense over just normal water cooling IMO.

i am pretty sure the OP isn't coming back 9 years later to check on his thread

*click*

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back