• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking Crashes my File system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overshot

Registered
Hello dear Overclockers !
I am new here :D You've got such beautifull guides and stuff ! :D

Sorry guys i didnt found anything in the Search tool.

Motherboard : P4M800Pro-m 2.0
CPU : Intel Celeron D 325 3.2
GPU : nVidia Geforce 6600 GT.
RAM : 2 GB of DDR 400.
HDD : Western Digital SATA 2 160 GB.
PSU : 500 Watts.

Now, When i overclock, I got a range from 133 MHz to 300 MHz Min/Max Settings.

133 is my stock speed, 3.2 for the CPU.

So when i increase this value to like 140, Everything works nice and Stable, But for some reason my RAM clock being increased too, Since i have an AGP Video card it doesnt OC's the GPU.

Why it OC's my ram with it? :eek:

So when i overclock to 150 wich is 3.6 for the CPU, My hard drive fails and it looses all it's data, And sometimes even the Motherboard gives me some Really wierd name of my HDD, And it wont load.

The maximum value i can set is 148 wich is 3.56 And everything works fine, I've made Stress testings using Prime95, The temperatures for the CPU is between 34-60 Min-Max, Idle-Full press.

So why does my system keeps crashing my HDD when i overclock? I can push it way more, And it will work nice but without the HDD >.<

What is the problem with that HDD thingy? X_X

Edward Stark

there should be somewhere that you can work with the memory speed. if you oc the mem too much it will scatter the info on the drive. get the memory speed within reason and you should be fine with a better oc.

Thank you for the fast Reply !

So that is the problem, My RAM Screws up my HDD with faster clocks speeds?

What if i upgrade my RAM to DDR2 800?
I mean, My Motherboard supports only 667, But i think i can use 800 at the speed of 667 and OC it.

Will i get rid of my Hard disk ownage problem?

I'm concerned that your motherboard may not lock the PCI speed to 33mhz.
Is there a section that mentions PCI speed, or PCI lock, or something like that?
The hard drive controller is connected via PCI, and if raising the FSB raises the PCI speed the controller will eventually start getting errors, which it then writes to the drive. That trashes the file system.

Try to find the ram speed too, set it to 533 instead of 667, that will keep it happy till 266fsb.

No i dont have Sata or PCI locking options, But my HDD is SATA, I dont even know how to check it's Clock, So i could tell you if it's locked or not.

I have DDR 400 atm, I will upgrade it to DDR 800 soon.

I set my DDR Frequency to Manual : 400 mhz, Means i can decrease it and OC freely without having my file system crashing?

Ok i looked up your mobo, i think your largest problem is the VIA chipset, they generally don't overclock for beans.

Set the ram speed to 266 if you can, that'll take it out of the equation.
Now do the FSB up to 150 again and see if it works.

Back up anything important first, of course!

If it still doesn't fly, give it a little bit more vcore and try again.
If it still doesn't work, i think you probably need a new mobo to get any further.

That motherboard most definitely does not have any sort of bus lock. None of the Via 800 boards do.

Basically, if your hard drive doesn't like the faster SATA speeds, you're outta luck. Since it works at 148FSB, the only solution is not to go above that.

That's unfortunate, i'd stick to 140-145 then, just to give a bit of extra room.

It looks like it has a better chance of having a PCIe/PCI speed lock, but it's still a via chipset.

IMO what you should do right now is save up till you can buy a decent P35 or P45 mobo and the DDR2 ram to go with it.
Even an el-cheapo like the ECS G31T-M (G31M-T? I can never remember) or Gigabyte's G31 board will beat pretty much anything VIA in overclocking, as they have frequency locks.

How about this mobo:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128357

And this ram:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211066

With shipping (free!) and california tax (9%) it comes to $110.
It shouldn't have a problem accepting your current CPU and hard drives and such, has built in graphics (not great, if you want to play games made in the last five years you'll need better), and has decent overclocking options.
It does not have an AGP slot, so if your current video card is AGP you won't be able to use it.

Of course, while you're upgrading you can always do the cpu too:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116264
$50 gets you about four times the speed of your current CPU.

WRT that Asrock board you linked, there is apparently some sort of modified BIOS floating around that enables a PCI/AGP lock, but good luck finding a copy, and the board doesn't have the capability out of the box. So basically, you wouldn't gain anything by buying that board.

If you're absolutely intent on spending money on that system (which I don't think anybody would recommend doing), then at least look for one of the 865-based 775 boards, like the Asrock 775i65G or Gigabyte 8I865GME... That way you could keep your AGP card and DDR1, but you could avoid the crappiness of the Via chipsets.

Really, though, you should probably at least consider a full system upgrade... a cheap 785G motherboard, Sempron 140 and some DDR3 value RAM would cover all your bases for ~$150, and would offer much better CPU performance than you'd ever get out of that Celeron, plus the IGP would perform fairly comparable to your 6600, so no need for a new video card.

Thank you guys So much for helping me.

I love you people :D

Great forum <3

Okay so i decided to buy this :

CPU : Core 2 duo E6750 ==-4 MB L2 Cache- -2.66 GHz- -1333 FSB-== ---OR--- Core 2 quad Q9400 ==-6 MB L2 Cache- -2.66 GHz- -1333 FSB-==
Motherboard : ASUS P5k.
Ram : DDR2 800
CPU Cooler : Zalman CNS9700.

1. What do you think about this combo?
2. What processor will you reccomend to use? Because i heard sometimes that Dual outpreforms Quads....and Quad is not really needed.

So what do you think guys?

Regards,
Edward Stark.

Last edited:
Where on earth did you find a P5K and E6750? They're not bad, by any means, but unless you found a really good deal on 'em, you might wanna consider getting something a bit newer.

As far as dual vs. quad, well, it really depends what you do with the system.

Where on earth did you find a P5K and E6750? They're not bad, by any means, but unless you found a really good deal on 'em, you might wanna consider getting something a bit newer.

As far as dual vs. quad, well, it really depends what you do with the system.

Found it on Ebay, Around 110 bucks both, As far as i know this board owns in Overclocking, And it has very advanced settings in bios.

And...I want a CPU for Gaming[Aion, Ragnarok Online 2], Preformance is more important to me, Wich one will do the work? :)

What Mboard you offer to buy? Guys up there sended some links but if i upgrade, I would like to upgrade to something Avarage and not that cheaps :D

Edward Stark

Overclock your cpu and your memory individually and test for stability before you combine both into one final overclock.

Most motherboards have memory dividers somewhere in the bios. This means that your actual memory speed will be a fraction of what you have it set to in the bios. using some simple numbers for the sake of explaining, if your system goes off of a 200mhz default, then you could crank up your memory to 300mhz and use a 2/3 divider. Your memory would still be running at its normal stock speed of 200 mhz, but your cpu speed would be calculated off of a memory speed of 300mhz.

CPU the final cpu speed is usually calcuated off of the RAM speed times a mulitplier. A long time ago you could change that multiplier, but not in any system that has been released for a number of years.

Actually i've found the problem man, I dont have PCI - IDE lock.

Once i set the FSB it Overclocks EVERYTHING except my AGP. So it overclocks my HDD so hard that it screws up and i need another PC to recover the broken file system.

I am now running on 148*24, 3552 GHz of CPU wich is only 11% Overclock of my Stock 3200 GHz.

So i am very limited with OC because my CPU can go higher and higher, Couse it's 21c' Idle and 31 Loaded. But once i set the FSB - It just overclocks everything because the setting is very global.

Do you know how to enable PCI & IDE frequency lock?

Edward Stark

As far as i know this board owns in Overclocking, And it has very advanced settings in bios.

The same can be said of most upper-end boards, and even many lower end ones now too. I'm also not seeing 'em on eBay for that cheap, only the gimped P5K-SE model... be sure of what you're getting.

Just a thought: on the dual vs. quad debate, what about splitting the difference, getting a tri-core? An Athlon X3 425 is only $70 on Newegg, brand new, with heatsink, and there's a pretty wide choice of inexpensive boards for that platform, including a couple $60 Biostars (which are apparently quite good overclockers), or a $75 Gigabyte 770 board (which is supposed to be an awesome overclocker). Those Athlons can also sometimes be unlocked into full quad cores, and even if not, the X3 would still pretty handily stomp the E6750 in many tasks.

Back