• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I know for sure or when my SSD is "TRIM"ming?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hydrata

Ok, so this is probably a silly question, but I just installed an Intel X-25M G2 80g hard drive. I updated to the latest firmware, followed a lot of the tweaks listed here, set the computer to never sleep, and used the command prompt to confirm that, Yes, TRIM is enabled.
But when exactly does my drive TRIMs? Or how do I know when it is or has TRIMmed? All of the different sleep and hibernation settings have me a bit confused as to which ones can be enabled or disabled so that windows will start TRIM.
Thanks!

If you know that TRIM is enabled, then it is working. When a file is deleted, the TRIM command is given. It does not run at a specified time, only when a file is deleted.

Thanks, thid. I wasn't sure how it worked. I think I got TRIM mixed up with GC on the OCZ drives, as that runs when the computer isn't being used, right?

And btw, that case you modded for me still looks great. Your sleeving work was great and I almost wish I could fly you down to tidy up the mess I've made. /end plug for thideras modded cases:thup:

Thanks, thid. I wasn't sure how it worked. I think I got TRIM mixed up with GC on the OCZ drives, as that runs when the computer isn't being used, right?
I believe the GC either runs when the system is not in use or at a specified time. I have no experience with it though, my SSD uses TRIM (Kingston V+).

And btw, that case you modded for me still looks great. Your sleeving work was great and I almost wish I could fly you down to tidy up the mess I've made. /end plug for thideras modded cases:thup:
Glad you like that 300, it is one heck of a slick case. ;)

Back