• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to prevent users from installing removable device storage ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

manishrathi

Registered
How to prevent installation of removable storage device on home computer ?
Can I do it on windows 7 ? Or do I need to have windows server 2003 or windows server 2008 to setup the group policy ?

I was reading an article and it says

Administrators who want to block automatic installation of USB storage devices on computers can do so by enabling the Prevent Installation of Removable Devices policy that is found at: Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\System\Devices Installation\Device Installation Restrictions.

I could not find Computer Configuration neither on my hhome computer nor on windows server 2008. Please guide me about how to disable installation of removable device storage on windows vista, windows 7 and windows server 2008.

Thanks

The " Prevent installation of removable devices" policy setting is located under...

Local Computer Policy | Computer Configuration | Administrative Templates | System | Device Installation | Device Installation Restrictions

Attachments

• GPE.jpg
    GPE.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 1,117
How can I open this "Local Computer Policy" interface in windows 7 HomePremium?
When I type "Local Colputer Policy" in search box, I dont get this interface. I get something else, which I dont understand.
When I type "gpedit" in run command, I get error message "computert can not find gpedit"
If Home Premium does not come with gpedit, how can I disable removable storage devices ?
Do I have to modify registry manually ? I dont prefer to modify registry manually. Is there any other way ?
I also used secpol.msc, but same result.

Thanks

You'll need to get a different version of Win 7. Secpol is not included in the Home edition.

However, I have an idea that might let you prevent users from installing usb storage devices. Basically, you're going to change the permissions for the USB Mass storage device driver. Here are the steps for the solution.

Prior to modifying the permissions of usbstor.inf, I highly suggest that you copy that file someplace so you have a back up in case you need to restore it. You may also move the usbstor.inf out side of the inf folder.

Back