• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Here it is the fastest PWM Fan in the world....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sounds like a good idea. But it is still a W.I.P. I am trying to take good pictures for documentation. But yes, sounds like a plan.

As far as squirrel cage goes, I had thought of the idea, but there are a few snags.

a) its a much more expensive fan.
b) its size makes it difficult to fit in almost any configuration.
c) I think at a point, the Venomous X will cease to benefit from anything over 260 CFM.

Once I am done, I will take temperatures at 100 RPM Increments to get an idea of where the Venomous X's Speed:performance Ratio is.

Just call me the Spin Fan-atic.

I think those are valid concerns. I have a blower collecting dust which I tried to give away by getting people to build a bong cooler - no one ever followed through on that one. If you put this on the frontpage with pictures and some descriptions, maybe we could look forward to some real world comparisons between 2 very extreme fans. :)

I think the biggest concern with a squirrel cage would be a) its not PWM and b) hanging from a Heatsink would weigh about 10lbs. So it would probably only be a viable solution on a Benching station. Once I get an idea of how well my heatsink scales with this San Ace, then I will decide whether a Squirrel cage would be viable.

In which case I would have to build a two wire PWM setup. Also there is no RPM wire, which kind of sucks for testing purposes. I could use a optical RPM Tach, but those are never very accurate.

I ran the hoot-chute blower on a regular case for several months. It has a control Hoot built to turn it up or down - it was mounted to my actual case panel (steel case at the time), and on the inside it had a chute which channeled the air directly onto the heatsink.

It was big and hung off the side of my case - not pretty, but kinda cool looking in a serious/overkill sort of way. So ya, I agree it wouldn't work in normal configurations, it certainly couldn't be mounted to the heatsink or board - in a benching setup or other custom mod it can work well though.

If you can use it, you'll be getting a piece of cooling equipment as well as overclockers nostalgia... This blower dates all the way back to 2001:
http://www.overclockers.com/good-air-bad-air-good-fans-bad-fans-good-grief/

There's also details about how to build your own regulator there for it, including the electrical schematic.

Holy cow is that loud!

From the look of your current 4 machines, your running an E6600, E7200, E3300 and a Atom 1.6.

You have not yet felt the heat of an i7. Thermally, they are so much warmer than Dual Cores. Using a Venomous X, with Push/Pull Panaflos at 2500 RPMs and the i7 at 4.0 and 1.4V with HT enabled, the CPU hits 81 Degrees, anything less than that and your pushing high 90s with Thermal Throttle occurring at 99 degrees.

You can't really compare your 4 machines in your sig with an i7, sorry. ;)
Nor does he bench it seems so he doesnt know. :comp:

When your Benching or playing games on the highest settings, Fan noise is the least of your concerns. Ask anyone with a SLI or X-fire system.

You don't run it on full blast all of the time, as a matter of fact, its maybe on high less than 10% of the week. But it is power when you need it.

Noise concerns are for people with neighbors or weak sound systems. :p My vid fans crank when I'm gaming, and I've not noticed yet. That is the whole idea behind PWM fans.

Actually there are other 12cm fans that are stronger than this one, but most of them are made to run at 24 and 48 volts. Like the Delta FFB1224XHE, 265 cfm at 6300 rpm, but only available for 24 and 48 volt. This is norm, since at 12 volt the current will be so high that the effiency will be really bad..

That video by Joe is not very clear whether its a 38mm thickness fan or which volt rating. While other 120mm 12 volt fan that is so monstrous & scary is the one Mud has, but that is different class of fan. :p

Noise concerns are for people with neighbors or weak sound systems. :p My vid fans crank when I'm gaming, and I've not noticed yet. That is the whole idea behind PWM fans.

The whole idea behind PWM fans is another way to control them. Nothing more. More modern but not like it makes a difference.

Don't get it. GPU fans, have you modded the circuit? Is it 3 wire to the fan? Then it's not PWM. So dunno......... what you know or don't know or think PWM means a noisy fan, which it doesn't.

Back