• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TGE's MSI 890GXM-G65 testing thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheGoat Eater

Registered
Hey everyone, got this board a while ago and have been testing and using the board as a HTPC board in my main rig

I have been using this board for light gaming and watching HD content on my 1080P tv, mainly MKV 1080P files... I was using integrated 4290 graphics first but at my wanting to play games on my monitor and tv with more eye candy I picked up what I think is the best price to performance gpu today (5770) I got two as I couldn't pass up the deal that put two of them at $188 for two new cards so that is why I am using them, and they will output audio which is a plus.

am digging this board as a good base for a htpc setup due to it being rock solid and allowing me to easily unlock extra cores... It has to be said I think I have a quirky main OS as it won't boot with 4 cores enabled into the win 7 Ultimate 64-bit that I use for my main OS, oddly enough it only lets me use 3 cores. I can boot into a standard windows 7 32-bit Premium install from my OCZ Agility with all 4 cores no problem - even at 4.2GHz as you can see ;)

This board supports core unlocking for AMD chips, with the ability to activate the cores you want - though "core 1" is unable to be deselected, which I think is a safety feature to prevent trying to boot without a core selected. The ease of use couldn't be easier, all you need to do is in BIOS select "enable" next to the "Unlock CPU Core" option. Save and exit to unlock the CPU - though I have encountered where I need to press F1 after the reboot and then go into BIOS again and set your custom values or enable OC Genie.
Code:
 *If you encounter problems with your custom OC profile in
 conjunction with unlocking cores*

Do the following:

Change Adjust CPU-NB Ratio setting from  “Auto” to “x8”.
Change HT Link Speed setting from  “Auto” to “x8”.

This is a temporary work around as the BIOS becomes more refined
Overall this board seems to be a very solid HTPC board with its Military Class concept with high quality components. With the inclusion of SATA 6Gb/s and USB 3.0 this will be a board that is equipped for new tech, not to mention being 6 core CPU ready.

I have been having great experience with the on-board audio, as I have it hooked up to my receiver with an optical connection for use when I am using my monitor, the sound is good enough for me. When I output to my TV I have been using the audio through the tv speakers, with the audio output going through the 5770.

A feature I really like is the 4 internal ports for USB, nice for hooking up all the premium HTPC case extras... A CMOS clear button would have been nice but the feature for a HTPC board isn't necessary, just for people like me that love to tweak everything its a bit hectic to clear it with jumper every time.

Code:
HTPC setup:
MSI 890GXM-G65
AMD 555 BE - Stock cooler and Scythe Mugen II
Visiontek 5770 1GB x2 cards in Crossfire
Thermaltake DH202 with VFD display and remote
WD Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB
A-DATA Gaming Series 4GB DDR3 1600 AX3U1600GB2G9-2G and Dom GTs 
LITE-ON 4X BD-ROM Model iHOS104-08
Corsair HX650W Modular PSU 
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Code:
displays:
Viewsonic VA1912wb 
Insignia 1080P 120Hz 32" TV
I will show my results from testing 4 cores at 3.6GHz and 4.2GHz on air - each test super pi 1m and 32m, everest, pifast, and lastly wprime (though I forgot to test at 4.2GHz)

Stock setup with optimized defaults
(click): http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/6876/stock555.jpg

OC Genie and all cores enabled
ocgenie555.jpg

1m w/ 4 cores at 3.6GHz
b551m4core3600.jpg

1m w/ 4 cores at 4.2GHz
b551m4core4200.jpg

32m w/ 4 cores at 3.6GHz
b5532m4core3600.jpg

32m w/ 4 cores at 4.2GHz
b5532m4core4200.jpg

everest w/ 4 cores at 3.6GHz mem @ 1600 7-7-7-20 1N
b55everest4core3600.jpg

pifast w/ 4 cores at 3.6GHz
b55pifast4core3600.jpg

pifast w/ 4 cores at 4.2GHz
b55pifast4core4200.jpg

wprime w/ 4 cores at 3.6GHz
b55wprime4core3600.jpg

New Windows Core Unlocking Application for your MSI 800 series Motherboard

Using standard HTPC/Daily OS (7 64bit Ultimate)

Looking at my info, not too sure what to call the application so until I get the final app name I think I will refer to this app as "MSI Windows Core Unlocking App" for now :p:

= In order to use the new MSI unlock technology you need to download the latest BIOS for your MSI AMD mainboard =
-=- Supported MSI 800 Series AMD boards -=-
890FXA-GD70
890GXM-G65
880GMA-E45
870A-G54

=Optimized Defaults loaded=

opened two instances of CPU-Z and the new "BIOSUnlockCPUCore" app (just copied the name of app- ?may change?) - this is what it looks like at start
windowsunlocking1.jpg

CPU Core Control switched to "manual" now shows both CPU cores enabled
windowsunlocking2.jpg

- Now I forgot to take a Screenie of the app after switching "Unlock CPU Core" option to "Enabled" ... It had shown only three Cores (Core 1,2,and 3) before it prompted to restart. To check what had been changed automatically in BIOS I went in - Before going in during the restart I got the familiar Red text "things have changed" Post screen knowing things had changed by seeing the B55 as CPU and pressed F1 as usual to continue - then it restarted again and posted as a B55 again and went into BIOS with delete during POST.
windowsunlocking3.jpg

This is what it originally looked like - all 4 cores changed over to unlocked
biosshot1.jpg

As you may or may not have know, I have trouble with core #4 of this booting into my regular HTPC/Daily OS so I made the change to disable core #4 only (leaving everything else alone)
biosshot2.jpg

Opened things up again and everything looks good!
windowsunlocking5.jpg

Definitely a good option for those not too familiar with BIOS and core unlocking, making this a useful app for those wanting to unlock without messing in the BIOS - gets a thumbs up from me 🆙 :)

Back