laptop heat problem

i have an acer aspire 5735z laptop running linux (ubuntu 10.1). when it had vista (i hate windows other that XP) and was only a few months old, it would get hot as hell. even if it was upside down, in a windowsill, and just turned on, it would get very hot (almost burning to the touch) in about 5 mins. what the hell is wrong.
    RIG-oldhorse--case-IDK--mobo-ga-7vrx--cpu-amd xp1800+--PSU-unknown brand 420W--ram-1.5gig--CNPS7000AlCu--HDD-1x20gb (xp pro sp3), 1x33gb (pics), 1x300gb (movies), 1x60gb (music), 1x30gb (external).

RIG-idk yet--case-IDK--mobo-Gigabyte P965-DS3--cpu-?--PSU-Ultra 500--ram-?--CNPS9700 LED--HDD-????

Gibz Heatware

Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile
    Have you tried checking the TaskMan?
    People that buy OEM systems think Linux was a Charlie Brown character, a registry is something you see at target to buy shower gifts, RAM is a Dodge truck and a hard drive is DC at rush hour.
    Current Active Fleet:
    Daily Driver i7 3740QM T530
    Work Rig/networked backup - i7 4770K@4.4, 24GB Ram, 7850 GFX Bedroom PC - i7 870 @ 3.4, 16GB Ram, 6670 GFX
    Home School PC (daughter) SB Celery @1.6, 4GB Ram, On Chip GFX Living Room HTPC - E-450@1.9 GHz, 4GB Ram
    Game Rig's (kids)- 3570K@4.7, 12GB Ram, 465GTX + 9800GT (PhysX) using intel SRT|2X A8 5500 boys toys
    Test Bed - In flux

Quote Originally Posted by Archer0915 View Post
    Have you tried checking the TaskMan?
    for....?
    http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=59551
    STEELERS BABY
    IX
    X
    GOT 6? XIII
    XIV
    WE DO XL
    XLIII
    I.M.O.G.: I'm sorry to inform you that your sig violates forum rules. Due to obscene, and frankly ugly, choices of colors you must change this. I suggest brown and orange perhaps.
    lol JK... Congratulations on your season. Greetings from Cleveland, the home of "There's always next year".
    cw823: I think you need to edit your sig, this could finally be a year for a Cleveland team. Go Cavs!

Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by Twigglish View Post
    for....?
    To check CPU usage! There could be some problem with software not allowing the CPU to go to low power mode.
    People that buy OEM systems think Linux was a Charlie Brown character, a registry is something you see at target to buy shower gifts, RAM is a Dodge truck and a hard drive is DC at rush hour.
    Current Active Fleet:
    Daily Driver i7 3740QM T530
    Work Rig/networked backup - i7 4770K@4.4, 24GB Ram, 7850 GFX Bedroom PC - i7 870 @ 3.4, 16GB Ram, 6670 GFX
    Home School PC (daughter) SB Celery @1.6, 4GB Ram, On Chip GFX Living Room HTPC - E-450@1.9 GHz, 4GB Ram
    Game Rig's (kids)- 3570K@4.7, 12GB Ram, 465GTX + 9800GT (PhysX) using intel SRT|2X A8 5500 boys toys
    Test Bed - In flux

Quote Originally Posted by Archer0915 View Post
    To check CPU usage! There could be some problem with software not allowing the CPU to go to low power mode.
    Some people need that info. Coulda meant check it for extra processes, unknown processes, etc.
    http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=59551
    STEELERS BABY
    IX
    X
    GOT 6? XIII
    XIV
    WE DO XL
    XLIII
    I.M.O.G.: I'm sorry to inform you that your sig violates forum rules. Due to obscene, and frankly ugly, choices of colors you must change this. I suggest brown and orange perhaps.
    lol JK... Congratulations on your season. Greetings from Cleveland, the home of "There's always next year".
    cw823: I think you need to edit your sig, this could finally be a year for a Cleveland team. Go Cavs!

Sounds like the Hindenbook has a challenger!

I got a laptop from a femate that was reaching 70 degrees idle. I managed to break it when trying to re-solder the power connections back on (solder went everywhere ) but I replaced the TIM on the CPU. Got the temps down to 60-63 idle. I dared not prime it.

So yeh, you could replace the TIM. It's the same as replacing it with a desktop computer (unless I've been doing it wrong all these years or unless there's some kinda exception).
    Sound setup:
    Amp: Cambridge Audio Azur 340A SE
    Speakers: Wharfedale 10.2's
    Sound Card: Asus D2X

Computer:
    q9550 @ 3.8GHz
    GTX460 @ stock