[O/C]Cooler Master Vortex Plus Heatsink

Cooler Master Vortex Plus Heatsink
    by splat

Cooler Master sent over a new heatsink which is aimed at the Home Theater PC (HTPC) market, the Vortex Plus. I've been a fan of Cooler Master products for years so I was excited for the chance to see how this heatsink performed. Since most HTPC users are mostly concerned with silence, I wasn't expecting the Vortex Plus to break any overclocking records. However, I was expecting it to outperform any stock heatsink in both efficiency and noise level. Therefore, I will be using the stock Intel heatsink supplied with my Xeon 3050 processor for comparison.

Click here to continue reading.

Discuss this article below. If you are interested in contributing to the front page (www.overclockers.com), please feel free to contact splat, mdcomp, or hokiealumnus. For the latest updates, follow Overclockers.com on Twitter (@Overclockerscom).
    Last edited by mdcomp; 05-14-10 at 01:28 PM.

Reminds me of the Thermalright XP-90/120.
    Great review none the less.
    Main- 2500k@4988MHz (50x99.7MHz), 2x4GB Gskill RipJaws, Asus GTX 680
    MPGS-Q6600@3GHz, 4x2GB Crucial, GTX 260
    Steam ID- jacknsally
    Heatware

Helpful Member
    the heatpipes would have better contact on an AMD processor.
    Great Review BTW
    AMD Phenom II 920 2.8GhZ
    Gigabyte MA 790FX-UD5P
    4GB Corsair XMS2 800mhz
    WD 350GB
    PC Power and Cooling 750
    LanCool PC-K58 DragonLord
    Sythe Mugen 2Rev B

God willing we will prevail in peace and freedom of fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. General Ripper (Dr. Strangelove)
    My HEAT: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=70830

5up3r m0d3r4t0r
    Overclockers.com Editor

Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile
    Good job!

The wide spaces between heatpipes is very odd, especially widest gap in the center of the base where the CPU die is located (the source of the heat).
    i7 4770K | ASRock Z87M OC Formula | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600 8-8-8-24 1.35v | EVGA GTX780 SC ACX | ASUS Xonar Essence STX | 256GB OCZ Vertex 4 | SeaSonic X750
    Pentium G3258 | ASUS Z87I-Deluxe | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600 8-8-8-24 1.35v | 5x2TB RAIDZ | Corsair CX430

My Overclockers.com Articles | HWBot Profile | Heatware (101-0-0)

Projects: Copper-Framed, MDF Station | PVC-Framed, MDF Station | Custom Cascade Cart/Case | Untitled TJ07 Build

Benching Profile SETI Profile Heatware Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNSally View Post
    Reminds me of the Thermalright XP-90/120.
    Great review none the less.
    That's the first thing I thought when I saw this review. I saw the pic and thought "why are they re-releasing the xp-90?" I still have the copper version of that thing on a e6600.

This is a good writeup, and looks like a quality product for those people who can't cram a tower heat sink in their case.
    The OCF SETI team, because I can.
    Memeber of the OCF chemistry club.

Heat
    "Well, I sort of don't trust anybody who doesn't like Led Zeppelin."
    --Jack White
    "I like the pink..." -- xXSebaSXx

Helpful Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MattNo5ss View Post
    Good job!

The wide spaces between heatpipes is very odd, especially widest gap in the center of the base where the CPU die is located (the source of the heat).
    I think they are targeting the i3 and i5 processors that have a gpu and a cpu on the chip. Because the heat sources would be further out.
    AMD Phenom II 920 2.8GhZ
    Gigabyte MA 790FX-UD5P
    4GB Corsair XMS2 800mhz
    WD 350GB
    PC Power and Cooling 750
    LanCool PC-K58 DragonLord
    Sythe Mugen 2Rev B

God willing we will prevail in peace and freedom of fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. General Ripper (Dr. Strangelove)
    My HEAT: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=70830