• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to Become a Benching Team Member

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Cleaned up the train wreck :argue:

See the OP for Benching Team Membership requirements update. Once finished send a PM to BOTH Brolloks and myself.

Quick update to the requirements:

HWTPP and GTPP points now count towards your entry requirements as well. As of right now they are all added together, so in theory you could fulfill the entire point requirement fairly easily with a single run on good hardware.
You still need to run and submit ten different benches and have 100 quality posts as well of course.

Send that PM to Brolloks, nzaneb, and Bobnova.
All the team leaders. There're three of us so that at least one of us is almost always nearby :rock:

Bonus double post, I want to drag a result out into the limelight and possibly embarrass someone, because it is an excellent example of a cheap and (fairly) easy way to help the team out (and, of course, get Lounge access!).

This is the score: http://hwbot.org/submission/2232234_
Note the following:

It's on air cooling.
It doesn't involve any expensive parts.
It doesn't involve special secret sauce covered hard to find ram.
It gives more points to the team than a top 40 result in a popular category that isn't the best result with that piece of hardware for the team.
I don't know for sure, but I bet it was fun to get :D

So, let this be an inspiring lesson for you all!
It doesn't take high dollar parts to get on the team, to have fun, help the team, or to score meaningful points.

Lastly thanks to jiggamanjb for inspiring this rant.
And, of course, for throwing down some points :rock:

Carry on! :salute:

I have also discovered a super easy way for someone to gather some point, its in the x3 category,there is not so many big hitters in this area and i have managed to get a shed load of points on AIR, so with the new rules this one submission will get you on the team,so if you have a x3 and are looking for cheap points this is the easiest way i have found

I have also discovered a super easy way for someone to gather some point, its in the x3 category,there is not so many big hitters in this area and i have managed to get a shed load of points on AIR, so with the new rules this one submission will get you on the team,so if you have a x3 and are looking for cheap points this is the easiest way i have found

WOW, nice! :drool:

My friend has one...i'll have to tell him about the benching team :D

EDIT: Maybe i'll pick one up real cheap for myself too :D

WOW, nice! :drool:

My friend has one...i'll have to tell him about the benching team :D

EDIT: Maybe i'll pick one up real cheap for myself too :D
Yeah , the phenom x3 is you're best bet unless you can get a cheap Athlon x3 that will unlock the L3 as i found most have the L3 unlocked and p*ss all over mine that won't unlock :( but definately get one and get on the team, plus if you have a half decent gpu you will destroy my score. :)

Last edited:
Nice post Keny, thats good insight - I didn't realize how many points there are to be had on the X3's.

To explain further how hwboints work for anyone else new to hwbot but looking at that submission... A submission like that on an x3 720 would "almost" get someone on the team, unless they were able to actually beat your score. If they don't beat your score, it wouldn't gain GTPP or HTPP. Since Keny has the team best 3 core pcmark submission, as well as the team best x3 720 submission, he got those points. If someone scores well, but not quite as good as him, they would only receive UGP and UHP - so they'd get 17.8 points or less for a submission like that. Unless they beat kenny, then they'd got more points than that. :)

To get GTPP for x3 in pcmark05, someone would need to beat keny's score with 3 cores.

To get HTPP for x3 in pcmark05, someone would need to beat keny's score with 3 cores, or they would need to beat the team's best score on a different 3 core CPU.

I could not believe how many points I gained at first , I thought it was a typo so I refreshed lol. Just a quick one guys ? If someone beats my score, be it team member or not, will my score depreciate to compensate for there gains ?

Yup, thats a good deal of points for just starting out. :thup:

Yes, if someone on our team or another beats your score, with 3 cores (UGP) or the same model chip (UHP), your score will go down sligthly. If there are more submissions however that don't beat you, it could also increase - since your score is "high", it is more likely to go down than it is to go up, but that all depends on how strong your score is compared to others. :)

If someone on our team beats your score, with 3 cores (GTPP) or the same model chip (HTPP), you will lose all GTPP or HTPP for the submission, and all of it will be counted for the team under their account. There can only be 1 person on the entire team getting HTPP for a specific piece of hardware, and there can only be 1 person on the entire team getting GTPP in a certain class for a specific bench (3 core pcmark).

So GTPP and HTPP are the biggest ways to improve the team score. In addition however, your total user points divided by 10 is also added to the team points.

Last edited:
Yup, thats a good deal of points for just starting out. :thup:

Yes, if someone on our team or another beats your score, with 3 cores (UGP) or the same model chip (UHP), your score will go down sligthly. If there are more submissions however that don't beat you, it could also increase - since your score is "high", it is more likely to go down than it is to go up, but that all depends on how strong your score is compared to others. :)

If someone on our team beats your score, with 3 cores (GTPP) or the same model chip (HTPP), you will lose all GTPP or HTPP for the submission, and all of it will be counted for the team under their account. There can only be 1 person on the entire team getting HTPP for a specific piece of hardware, and there can only be 1 person on the entire team getting GTPP in a certain class for a specific bench (3 core pcmark).

So GTPP and the biggest ways to improve the team score. In addition however, your total hardware points divided by 10 is also added to the team points.
Thanks for clearing that up, as long as the team points don't go to a different team if they beat my score that's fine by me, damn this benching is addictive!!!

Thanks for clearing that up, as long as the team points don't go to a different team if they beat my score that's fine by me, damn this benching is addictive!!!

And our work here is done with this one! :thup: You have been assimilated!

ResistanceIsFutile8-10-2010-3.jpg

Oh... And just wait until you find the world of "sub-zero" benching... :D

I wonder if there is a special score for the best performance to cm3 ratio, which i would/could win. On 3Dmark11 bench, i did beat majority of big towers with equal CPU/GPU, at the time of benching. But now im back to stock clock, i only OC for benching and to see check out how much quality the parts got. I surely was impressed what its able to handle with 12 GB RAM (most PCs can barely handle that, to much stress). I do my bench on the most up to date bench programs (Unigine, 3D11) and after i did suceed serious stability tests.

Aswell, a system stable for usual bench is not stable for IntelBurn test. Bench isnt the ultimate stability tester, its a way to show a edge performance at the point when a system can run unstable any given moment. But max stability means for me, it does pass 5 runs (1 hour it takes) on Intel Burn at 10 GB RAM usage, thats hardcore (most other stuff is junk compared to it). Its usualy easy to pass a short bench, even if its running pretty unstable already (and in many terms lot of luck). Most of those systems wont pass it because theyr memory controller will be busted. It does completly stomp down that controller, but its a real extreme situation when high memory system is at max load, and no less. But in order to have a fully stable system for any use, even hours of encoding, 100% stable with max RAM is ok, below isnt. Aswell its easyer to run the PC stable at almost any bench other than Unigine, because Unigine is abusing the architecture harder than most other benches. Such stuff is a serious matter because processors who are 50% unused is not truly reality and nobody is running 3D01 (comparable engines) anymore or equal stuff, what does it say? Pretty few... Some stuff, and OC methods, is simply not practical... but i guess men simply do need to flex theyr muscles. ;)

Last edited:
I wonder if there is a special score for the best performance to cm3 ratio, which i would/could win. On 3Dmark11 bench, i did beat majority of big towers with equal CPU/GPU, at the time of benching. But now im back to stock clock, i only OC for benching and to see check out how much quality the parts got. I surely was impressed what its able to handle with 12 GB RAM (most PCs can barely handle that, to much stress). I do my bench on the most up to date bench programs (Unigine, 3D11) and after i did suceed serious stability tests.

Aswell, a system stable for usual bench is not stable for IntelBurn test. Bench isnt the ultimate stability tester, its a way to show a edge performance at the point when a system can run unstable any given moment. But max stability means for me, it does pass 5 runs (1 hour it takes) on Intel Burn at 10 GB RAM usage, thats hardcore (most other stuff is junk compared to it). Its usualy easy to pass a short bench, even if its running pretty unstable already (and in many terms lot of luck). Most of those systems wont pass it because theyr memory controller will be busted. It does completly stomp down that controller, but its a real extreme situation when high memory system is at max load, and no less. But in order to have a fully stable system for any use, even hours of encoding, 100% stable with max RAM is ok, below isnt. Aswell its easyer to run the PC stable at almost any bench other than Unigine, because Unigine is abusing the architecture harder than most other benches. Such stuff is a serious matter because processors who are 50% unused is not truly reality and nobody is running 3D01 (comparable engines) anymore or equal stuff, what does it say? Pretty few... Some stuff, and OC methods, is simply not practical... but i guess men simply do need to flex theyr muscles. ;)

We are not playing with stability in here... we could care less. Extreme benching is to see how far a piece of hardware can be pushed, it only has to be stable enough for a screenshot. Very similar to drag racing. If it breaks at the end of the run...so be it... as long as it finishes.

Unigine is almost completely GPU bound, CPU clocks make VERY little difference. There are thousands of people that still run 3DMark 01, primarily benchers. 3D01 actually loads the CPU more than Unigine Heaven does.

It's actually quite intriguing to see the actual architecture improvements as opposed to the coding improvements. Newer benchmarks are coded with newer instruction sets in mind. Can they improve performance without utilizing new instruction sets? Intel Nehalem architecture actually failed to best prior gen C2D scores in 3D01, it just couldn't compete... even at high frequencies. SB and SB-E are merely on par (maybe slightly better at high enough frequencies). All I'm saying is older benchmarks are still very relevant, even if they're graphically outdated. No one wants to see them because they look archaic, that doesn't mean they're completely useless. Soon Uniqine and 3D11 will be dated as well... that's just how it goes with 3D benchmarks, but they will always be useful for comparison data.

Alright, thanks for that statement, always good to know how the stuff is intended and theyr background.

I still wonder why CPUs nowadays simply doesnt push games (in any serious manner) anymore and whats the true issue behind. Still not sure, but CPUs surely arnt fully utilized, else i would see another kind of load. They did affect the games much harder up to the C2D architecture but since Nehalem and SB are out, its over... Now, does a Nehalem and SB only truly beat at implementing new instruction sets but otherwhise barely more powerful than its forerunners? Good question. Im soon truly finish getting powerful CPUs because it just doesnt benefit gamers anymore. And GPU, well, thats usualy wholely based on details, so there is no general answer to this. At 720P with lowest settings almost any GPU can hit like a truck (thats why consoles can run games at all, theyr GPUs are a joke).

But the biggest joke is, and i had that in some games, that either the CPU nor the GPU is fully utilized, like 40% load, both of them... and bad FPS still, so what to say? Where is the issue?

Last edited:
The CPU is utilized more at lower resolutions where the GPU is more stressed at higher resolutions.

Actually even if the CPU is utilized more at lower resolution, the testers nowadays have a very hard time to even "push" the CPU toward its limits. And in many cases it makes close to no difference such as you can see here: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Core-i7-3960X-Extreme-Edition-CPU-Review/1429/16
ah here it is, its 1080P, but, ANY detail is fully disabled, no AA no AF. Even the FX 8150 which is considered "bad" will almost keep track with the 1k $ SB-E. We play it on zero detail, so if we turn it up the CPU impact goes down to zero, from close to zero to true zero. ;)

You would have to use SD resolution which is absolutly not real, no one using it, it just makes no sense.

So either, whats Intel doing, and what are the devs doing, where is the issue?!

The only reason for me to get a power CPU is to lower the TDP. Because lets say a SB-E runs a game with 30% load, while a weaker CPU need 60% load, even if the weaker CPU is same, or lower TDP, its not necessarely lesser heat. In many terms the power CPU which got close to no load, will run colder than a weaker one which is at high load. Heat is heavely dependable on load, no exclusion. Aswell a big CPU got more die to dissipate heat to the sink, i had my results and other testers with the same system had temps much worse than mine. Difference between full idle and full load is up to 40° (on rather weak coolers).

Last edited:
True that any decent CPU will do fine at a higher resolution, although now this discussion is getting outside of the reason for this thread.

At 1080p a good videocard will under most circumstances be the primary driver of the graphics at that resolution. If you dropped down to 1280x1024 or even smaller the task is handed off to the CPU far more, thus making it at much more cpu-dependent resolution compared to that of a higher one (1080p or larger). Which is evident in how CPU-dependent a benchmark like 3dMark01 and Aquamark are as they are older (although 3dM03 is actually pretty GPU based, where 05 goes back to heavy CPU).

720P without details, i can aswell just go play on a console at that point, it even got more details than "lowest". ;) Ah yeah, i can play any classic games at 100 FPS (Crysis is still not Classic yet) without CPU being overutilized. I usualy cap at 60 FPS because above makes no sense, what you do is to run games at a unrealistic FPS amount, thats why CPU utilized so high.

Sorry yeah, maybe i open another topic for, but im not sure i find people who actually can provide the useful infos. I continued on: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7056694#post7056694

Last edited:
Back