• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to Become a Benching Team Member

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That article is a good indicator of possible gains for tweaking OS... Keep in mind the graphs aren't zeroed, so the differences look bigger at a glance than they really are. They are done like that to emphasize that there is a difference, so if thats worth it to your benchmark runs is the question you need to look at when you submit your scores... If you are really close to beating the guy above you, tweaks can get you the extra boost you are looking for. That article also isn't an absolute rule - your system may react differently than his, and it depends on your drivers and specific hardware config. :thup:

So that can be a guide, but he did the testing on his system to figure out which was best... You may need to do a little testing still to see which is best on your setup. :salute:

You may also want to create an image of your drive, so if the OS gets corrupted its quicker to get back up and running without having to do the whole reinstall windows.

My daily driver is Windows 7 64. For benching, you can get away with Xp 32 and Vista 32 for about everything. :thup:

the only bench that an ssd will get any extra from is the pcmark05,

While this is absolutely true, I have to say that benching with an SSD is amazing. With the endless crash-reboot cycle at the bleeding edge of stability, it helps to be back in the OS in less than 30 seconds rather than a couple minutes; especially with DICE or LN2 sublimating/evaporating away. :)

While this is absolutely true, I have to say that benching with an SSD is amazing. With the endless crash-reboot cycle at the bleeding edge of stability, it helps to be back in the OS in less than 30 seconds rather than a couple minutes; especially with DICE or LN2 sublimating/evaporating away. :)
+1.

Im about to sacrifice my OCZ Summit as my benching drive. Partially b/c I cant seem to install a darn thing on my other drive, but.....maybe I'll get another Vertex 2... 30GB or so...

Heh, since I don't go cold often, I re-allocate my SSD to 24/7 use when not benching.

Step 1: Install OS on SSD for 24/7 rig.
Step 2: Clone install to HDD.
Step 3: Install OS on SSD for extreme rig.
Step 4: Clone install to 2nd HDD.
Step 5: Clone 24/7 back to SSD.
Enjoy for a while.
Time to go cold?
Step 6: Clone changed 24/7 back to HDD.
Step 7: Clone extreme back to SSD.
Step 8: Rinse & repeat as necessary.
Step 9: ...
Step 10: Profit

:p

Cloning takes an hour or so for both drives. It's worth it to keep the speed for 24/7 use. As long as you don't change anything big on the extreme OS, just pull your screenshots before putting the 24/7 OS back on the SSD. No need to re-clone the extreme back to the HDD every time. :thup:

that would be her Kona. I would start worrying of your ranking within the team

Well since she actually has a rig to bench on, probably.

Start her off on a cedar mill. Everyone needs a cedar mill. :)

OK, I have registered. I have a couple of HDD heading this way and will start my runs then. System isn't anything fancy but I will run it for what I can get out of it.

I got the 10 benches done, sent a pm (27/11) but no reply :(

Make sure you pm'd brolloks, or resend it to him in case he missed it. Usually he approves new team members and notifies me, then I mash the appropriate buttons. :fight:

If you messaged sno.lcn, he's been pretty busy elsewhere with real life.

OK, I have registered. I have a couple of HDD heading this way and will start my runs then. System isn't anything fancy but I will run it for what I can get out of it.

Your system is very similar to mine. Except I will have another card coming on wednesday to do some crossfire! Mwuahaha

I would like to see him get his 955 to 4.56Ghz for SuperPi runs on air ;) His 4850 will best my 4830 though :(

speed isn't everything, it's all about efficiency/clock as you get up towards the top...you guys needa dig up the octagon thread in the lounge and throw down.

Back