• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to Become a Benching Team Member

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Then how did DJ Spiel manage to use his run for points? Almost 60K cpu score...

well they don't check every submission on the bot...so it was probably just an error on his part. We've all done it at least once lol :D

well they don't check every submission on the bot...so it was probably just an error on his part. We've all done it at least once lol :D

Yea, he needs to pull that down. I missed that he had physics on.
On HWbot they don't look at every submission unless it's near WR status. Most of the average ones like that are filtered out by other members.

Yea, he needs to pull that down. I missed that he had physics on.
On HWbot they don't look at every submission unless it's near WR status. Most of the average ones like that are filtered out by other members.

its ok, i pm'd him already, he's gonna rerun it.

Oh ok. I knew they didn't used to allow it... Thought they had changed their mind or something!

I am running benchmarks on the laptop atm so I can get 10 submissions :)

EDIT:

I have finished! Even earned a few points from my laptop haha...
Sent a PM to Brollocks also.

Last edited:
I've joined HWBot and affiliated to OC Forums... Just gotta get the ten benchies done on my lowly 555BE... Some time early next year (March) I will be getting some new gear to bench with. The budget will be about $2.5K so I'm thinking a $1.5K for the gaming rig and $1K for benching HW... But for now my 555BE will have to do.

I've joined HWBot and affiliated to OC Forums... Just gotta get the ten benchies done on my lowly 555BE... Some time early next year (March) I will be getting some new gear to bench with. The budget will be about $2.5K so I'm thinking a $1.5K for the gaming rig and $1K for benching HW... But for now my 555BE will have to do.

Lots of work can be done with a 555. I love mine. Welcome to the madness!

Lots of work can be done with a 555. I love mine. Welcome to the madness!

True that...

I've been able to push this baby up to 4025 MHz... Did not run stress testing for stability, but it was able to run WPrime 32MB.
4025MHz -- 230 FSB x 17.5 multi -- 2 Cores --- Voltages in Auto on the MoBo --- Stock HSF
wlavrc.jpg

And now that I got my HSF (thanks to Miahallen)... I'm sure I can push it a bit more before core temps get to be an issue.

attachment.php

This PIC doesn't show it, but I got a XFX HD 5670 1GB installed on my Baby Rig now.

I think my limiting factor right now is the MoBo, but I'll be getting the TA890FX by Biostar to replace the GA 880GM UD2H that I have now.

PS: Now that I'm going to get into this "Sport"... I've got one question to start with:
- What OS should I use for benching? I have Win7 64Bit ultimate installed right now, but have a spare HDD that I'm not using. Should I put XP on that one for benching?

Until then!!!
Sebastian

Last edited:
If your mobo supports unlocking, then you can unlock it and run it as a x3 and x4 on many benches.

my 12 year old is talking like she actually wants to join the team and start benching. hehe. may have to bring her some hardware to spank.

If your mobo supports unlocking, then you can unlock it and run it as a x3 and x4 on many benches.

It does support unlocking... In fact... I did unlock the 2 extra cores and was able to get them to 3599 MHz at one point, but took it back to two at the time because I only had the stock HSF back then and did not want to kill the chip after only a week of having bought it.

2a0gorl.jpg

I've been meaning to unlock them again now that I have a decent HSF to go with my mini-Delta (80x80x38, but still moves air like a Dyson vacuum cleaner... And sounds like it too), but every night when I get home from work; I turn the PC on and forget to go into the BIOS... Oh well; two cores do me just fine for daily use anyway.

OS choice isn't that simple if you don't want to leave any points on the table... Its a small difference mostly, but if you should switch OSs for specific benches depends on if a bit higher score makes a big difference for your ranking/boints:
http://www.overclockers.com/windows-showdown-8-operating-systems-6-benchmarks/

Hey thanks I.M.O.G
I skimmed through that article (just looked at the graphs for now, but will read it thoroughly later on)... I have licenses of W7, XP and Vista so I guess I could just partition a 160GB HDD into three sections and install all three OSs on there so I can use whichever one will yield best results for a given benchmark. Would that be a good way to go? Or would it be better to have separate drives for each OS? Faster HDDs make any difference? SSD maybe?

I'm 100% new at this so there is lots I need to learn... I guess I better get my 10 submissions done so I can get into the lounge and start getting educated on the subject huh?

Hey thanks I.M.O.G
I skimmed through that article (just looked at the graphs for now, but will read it thoroughly later on)... I have licenses of W7, XP and Vista so I guess I could just partition a 160GB HDD into three sections and install all three OSs on there so I can use whichever one will yield best results for a given benchmark. Would that be a good way to go? Or would it be better to have separate drives for each OS? Faster HDDs make any difference? SSD maybe?

I'm 100% new at this so there is lots I need to learn... I guess I better get my 10 submissions done so I can get into the lounge and start getting educated on the subject huh?

the only bench that an ssd will get any extra from is the pcmark05, and you will want to make sure that you have enough room on each partition for the benches and room to do a 2-5gig wazza for your supi 32m run, and for that run you will most certainly want to use xp. and also xp for 3d01. the rest of the 3d tests can work out to being better on any of the os's. but i have best result for 3d03 on win7.

Ok.. so SSD is not 100% necessary to get started.

I'll set up my spare 160GB HDD as my benching drive this coming weekend and will have a go at the ten bench requirements to get into the "Club"...

Back