• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best software for remote access. SageTV? Remote Potato?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tryptych

I just set up my first HTPC yesterday and I'm very happy with Windows Media Center (on Win7)... except for one thing... one really big thing... I want to be able to access to my media remotely via the net when I'm traveling or at the office etc. This has lead me to hours of googling.

It seems my options are really limited. I just finished demoing SageTV's software and I instantly hated it - after WMC's nice sleek interface SageTV was painful. It seems this just leaves me with Remote Potato, but it's very limited (doesn't let me watch live tv from my tv tuner).

Are there any other options?

how would you like to access your media from the net? like on a phone laptop pc etc? Just trying to understand what your trying to do?

For example would you like to be elsewhere with your laptop and use WMC on the laptop as a front end to your streaming media? If you dont necessarily need a front end on the remote pc you can accomplish this fairly easily and have all sorts of options! Also are you wanting to access all your media like you want to stream your movies over the net? if so that may be a bit slugish to begin with.

I think TeamViewer fits the bill quite nicely, and is very simple to set up. Also (and this is pretty big), it's free. I'm not sure exactly what it is you're hoping to be able to do, but you should definitely check TeamViewer out, as it has quite a few features.

Run mythbuntu.

SSH.

profit.

/As a less snarky answer, the nixes mastered the art of remote access a long long time ago; as such I'm a little bit partial to them then some proprietary sharing format.

In my opinion, best software for remote access is RHUB. Its remote support servers can be deployed in our own networks, thus enabling greater security as compared to hosted services.

Late reply, but Plex is absolutely the best option in my opinion.

So plex would let me access the tuners on my home network to allow streaming of live tv? Thought it was great for existing media (like movies) but wasn't aware of tv streaming with it.

I used to use Orb to stream live tv from my home to any connected device (laptops, pc's, phone).

Ahh, I forgot that you wanted to stream your existing cable.

Hrm. One of my old coworkers used [I believe] a SimpleTV to do that in combination with an HDHomeRun

I use this for remote access... lol, don't hate, it works. I've even played WoW using it.

Sounds like you are looking for more of a backend server from your HTPC though...

Back