• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Server 08 R2 & Anti-Virus Software

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Anubis_386

I moved my "Home Server" OS over to Windows Server 08 R2 and so far I'm really happy with it, however when I came to install Kaspersky Internet Security an error message popped up saying it wasn't compatible. I tried running it various compatibility modes but still couldn't get it to install.

So I was wondering if anyone knew of a sneaky work around? I was thinking along the lines of running a VM of Win7 or XP and running it from there .. Or if anyone can suggest a (preferably) free AV & firewall suite that isn't excessive for a home server then that'd be great. Although I would prefer to use the AV software I've paid for ..

Any input appreciated, Cheeers guys! :beer:

you'd need the enterprise versions of KIS/KAV to install it on server 2003/2003R2/2008/2008R2.

the only one i've found for servers is clamwin however it's only an on demand scanner meaning that it will only scan files when you tell it to. as for firewalls, the windows inbuilt one should do the job.

So why would you go to 2008 for home use? Makes no sense.

+1 for ClamWin. I'll never pay for antivirus software ever again.

did you get the full license for server 2008 r2 or via technet/ msdn, etc?

not a permanent solution but forefront usually has 180 day trails goin

I've had no luck finding a freeware AV for server 2008r2 (my fileserver) I just run it without one as clamwin seemed pretty useless. Since I don't download any files directly to the server (only through client workstations) that save to the servers mapped drive, the AV on the workstation would pick up any viruses on my mapped server drive. Wouldn't it?

Since I don't download any files directly to the server (only through client workstations) that save to the servers mapped drive, the AV on the workstation would pick up any viruses on my mapped server drive. Wouldn't it?

Yes, providing that you download the file to the client then transfer it to the server after scanning it.

Most free a/v solutions don't like network drives (avira springs to mind) so you'd have to scan the file (on the workstation) before copying it to a share to reduce the risk of spreading viruses/malware etc.

have you checked to see if any enterprise anti-virus solutions are available through your university? i know not all schools will offer free anti-virus, especially when it comes to enterprise software, but it was a requirement that we install av software on every PC so they basically had to offer free av software.

the sticky doesn't really mention much when it comes to server 2008 and av software, but have to checked to see if Microsoft Security Essentials runs on server 2008? i don't think it will, but i figure it might be worth a shot. i personally don't run anti-virus on my servers because i don't ever do anything on them in terms of web browsing or downloading files from unknown sources.

Back