• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZ Technology Introduces 400GB and 480GB Capacities for Vertex 2 and Agility 2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
now thats what im talking about! tobad their probably going to be like 1000 bucks lol...

any idea on the form factor? if thats on a 2.5" drive that is really impressive

well they have 512gig drives in 2.5in so i would think 2.5in still. only time i have seen 3.5in or heard about them is in the 1TB+ size.

i dont know why they just dont make them 3.5 form factor like come on why try to make everything fit into a 2.5" one when u can make bit bigger and add way more space....

All of the OCZ Colossus drives are 3.5". OCZ makes 3.5" drives starting at 120GB all the way up too 1TB. Not cheap though.

I would love to have a 500GB 2.5" SSD for my notebook.

the only colossus i remember hearing about was the 1tb in 3.5in FF. interesting to see smaller ones now, though with a single SLC up to 4gb. in a 3.5in FF that is going to be one huge drive.

2.5in FF makes more sense in a way, why take up more space for a hd when you can make it smaller. you use less material and you can ship more to etailer/retailer, its better all around. plus ocz makes more money per drive that way too.

the only colossus i remember hearing about was the 1tb in 3.5in FF. interesting to see smaller ones now, though with a single SLC up to 4gb. in a 3.5in FF that is going to be one huge drive.

2.5in FF makes more sense in a way, why take up more space for a hd when you can make it smaller. you use less material and you can ship more to etailer/retailer, its better all around. plus ocz makes more money per drive that way too.

i understand but the tech is taking to long to get to the point of 500/1000gb ssd drives that we need now u know.... they should release them in a large form factor then later on when the tech is there then down size them

i understand but the tech is taking to long to get to the point of 500/1000gb ssd drives that we need now u know....
the tech isnt taking to long, the problem is the price. have you seen the price for a 1tb ssd? no one i can think of would drop that kind of money on a 1tb ssd. If OCZ or someone else thought people would drop 1.5k+ for a 1gb TB drive, it would have been out sooner. about the only people that would buy something like that. is website hosters or database hosters, where they need the high IOPs.

*you sentence left me a bit confused so i hope i understood it right*

they should release them in a large form factor then later on when the tech is there then down size them
so then you would rather have a 3.5in SSD drive over a 2.5in is what your saying? i mean 120gb is still 120gb no matter how you slice it. It will still take the same number of nand chips regardless of FF of the drive.

Hot damn. No need for a spinning storage drive at that point. I NEED that 480gb one.

the tech isnt taking to long, the problem is the price. have you seen the price for a 1tb ssd? no one i can think of would drop that kind of money on a 1tb ssd. If OCZ or someone else thought people would drop 1.5k+ for a 1gb TB drive, it would have been out sooner. about the only people that would buy something like that. is website hosters or database hosters, where they need the high IOPs.

*you sentence left me a bit confused so i hope i understood it right*

so then you would rather have a 3.5in SSD drive over a 2.5in is what your saying? i mean 120gb is still 120gb no matter how you slice it. It will still take the same number of nand chips regardless of FF of the drive.

well the way i see it it would be cheaper to make a 500 gb 3.5" drive with older memory chips than a 500gb 2.5" drive that has new chips that can hold more memory u get me?

well the way i see it it would be cheaper to make a 500 gb 3.5" drive with older memory chips than a 500gb 2.5" drive that has new chips that can hold more memory u get me?

i don't know what size chips they use, i was just pointing out there are 4gb chips now. only noticed then when reading the new seagate hybrid review, using a single micron 4gb SLC nand. they could still be using the same MLC ic's used in older drives like say from OCZ solid line, i dunno. benchmark reviews has a lot of pic's, maybe its time to compare. see if we can even make out the PN's on the different drives to see what nand flash is being used.

For a company it isnt cost effective to be making older ic's. when for the same cost they can manufacture smaller and/or denser ic's. It really doesnt matter the FF cause in the case here. Regardless of the nand density the 500gb can fit into a 2.5in as well as a 3.5in. why they market/manufactures went with 2.5in vs 3.5in, who knows, i can only guess. all i can think, is they thought mobile users would jump at the chance. to make one of the biggest boosts to performance by going to a SSD from a MDD.

Last edited:
As Evilsizer said it's usually cheaper to produce chip wafers with smaller dies, you receive more dies per production of wafers. However you do have a point why don't the just load a 3.5 with more of the flash memory. I think it's because the note book market is a grater demand and the cost of allot more chips would be astronomical anyway and it would be a small market for 3.5 when 2.5 will work with all markets.

16 chips each has (8GB)

Vertex 2 Pro 16 chips both back and front, look below they probably could fit a allot more chips on a 3.5 you could even layer them, that would be vary expensive. Just looking at this, I cant believe it cost $384.

Attachments

• vertex 2 pro_03S.jpg
    vertex 2 pro_03S.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
not only that hyper but alot of SAS drives i have seen used, when i was working. were 2.5in drives in sleds so they have a wide market range with ssd's. getting them sold to help drive price down is the way i see it with going with 2.5in out the door with them.

Back