• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crysis 2 DX11 or DX10

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dbrooks08

Does anyone know if Crysis 2 will be DX11 or DX10? If DX11 any graphics features that we should know about?

Also, will a single 470 be able to run Crysis 2 fairly well?

If anyone knows preview videos, tech demos, interview videos about CryEngine3 or Crysis 2 please post a URL here.

DX11, highlights are Tessellation and displacement mapping. There are other features such as dynamic lighting and other nifty tricks, but the main highlight is Tessellation and displacement mapping.

A single GTX470 should do fine at mid-high settings, I would definitely consider an SLI config to push to the highest settings. Is it really worth it? IMO, the graphics are probably going to look wicked at medium settings since the game is designed to look awesome on a VERY crappy video card (PS3/Xbox360).

Its all speculation, but from the vids i've seen up to now, that is what things are looking like.

The main question is: Will the GTX470 provide a satisfactory experience?

My answer is YES. Hands down.

-D

Last I read was that we'll be hearing about DX11 features over the summer. This atleasts confirms DX11 support officially. DX9.0c would be obviously there since thats what the consoles are doing.

The main question is: Will the GTX470 provide a satisfactory experience?
My answer is YES. Hands down.
Maybe so, but at what resolution? We can't say anything yet really. Crytek said the min requirements would be lower but they also said they're still pushing the PC hardware to the limit as it IS still the lead platform.

To the OP: I gathered up all this info while following the updates so can pin point any URL which has all the info in it.

I'm upgrading my computer as soon as Crysis 2 is released (if I have the money :p).
If what they've said is true then I should be able to play it on med-high on my rig at the moment but somehow I'm doubtful.

They've confirmed it will support DX11 and I believe it will be the first true extreme test for it.

Agreeing with Necrokiller. If you want to run a tri-monitor setup with each monitor being 2560x1600 then your 470 will melt and then explode. All depends on the resolution.
Still should be interesting to see if the best hardware will be able to max it out (the hardware that was around when Crysis 1 was released couldn't max it out!).

The GTX470 should run Crysis 2 at decent settings @ 1920x1080, I think the real question is whether it will be able to pull it off with AA + AF turned up.

-D

We shall see...
I classify decent settings as maxed out with no AA or AF and maxed out with full AA and AF.

I really want to see if they've done anything to the physics engine though. Hopefully you won't explode when you go over a tree stump :p

We shall see...
I classify decent settings as maxed out with no AA or AF and maxed out with full AA and AF.

I really want to see if they've done anything to the physics engine though. Hopefully you won't explode when you go over a tree stump :p

It looks to me like Crytek is going for efficiency and proper optimization. I am confident that the visual quality vs performance will be a good improvement over Warhead. This means that settings won't have to be turned as high to get the same visual quality. But obviously this leaves alot of space to build upon and really push DX11 features. I am very interested in the result, I will definitely buy Crysis 2 as soon as its out. I'm sure GTX470 owners won't be disapointed in the experience their GPUs provide. Don't expect to max everything out, but expect it to look very nice.

-D

Well I will actually call or send a letter/e-mail thanking them for making an efficient engine if they pull it off.
So far Valve has been the only company that seems to give a crap about efficiency :p (excluding TF2 obviously, that really sucked).

We shall continue this discussion when Crysis 2 is released! :D

guys honestly, not even an SLI 480 will max that out @ over 40fps

because anything under 40fps will result in bad game feeling, and do not claim that you don't notice a difference between 24 and 40 fps.

Crysis 2 will be a resource ***** face it, that's why i am going for watercooling and overclock my babies as high as i can.

a single gtx470 will be enough for medium settings @ 720p resolution, maybe a little higher, and do not even think about turning on super AA, even today Crysis warhead doesn't run over 60fps with 4x AA 16xAF in extreme conditions and HD monitor,I can literally hear my cards scream during some intensive shaded levels.

I just hope it won't be the game that i have to wait 2 gpu generations for me to play it silk smooth.

guys honestly, not even an SLI 480 will max that out @ over 40fps

because anything under 40fps will result in bad game feeling, and do not claim that you don't notice a difference between 24 and 40 fps.

Crysis 2 will be a resource ***** face it, that's why i am going for watercooling and overclock my babies as high as i can.

a single gtx470 will be enough for medium settings @ 720p resolution, maybe a little higher, and do not even think about turning on super AA, even today Crysis warhead doesn't run over 60fps with 4x AA 16xAF in extreme conditions and HD monitor,I can literally hear my cards scream during some intensive shaded levels.

I just hope it won't be the game that i have to wait 2 gpu generations for me to play it silk smooth.

Well we won't know for a while :thup:

From what we've heard from Crytek Crysis 2 is meant to be super efficient. Wether that just means that it can run on a console or it actually means that they're going to be kind to the PC gamer and actually give us a proper game is still unknown.

I'm upgrading about a week or two after its released so I have time to see the benchmarks.

Unless that is you work at Crytek and you're now spilling everything to us destroying what little trust I have in them :p

Well we won't know for a while :thup:

From what we've heard from Crytek Crysis 2 is meant to be super efficient. Wether that just means that it can run on a console or it actually means that they're going to be kind to the PC gamer and actually give us a proper game is still unknown.

I'm upgrading about a week or two after its released so I have time to see the benchmarks.

Unless that is you work at Crytek and you're now spilling everything to us destroying what little trust I have in them :p

if i was working for Crytek and was saying such things in a forum i think i wouldn't work for Crytek anymore.

Just look at Metro2033, graphics are cool, and maxed out on my pc fps ranges from 20 to 60 fps,
20fps when they use that super cool light effect.
if Crysis2 will be so much better graphics as they say even if it is super good coded it will still run slow or not at what i would consider optimum performance.

Metro2033 has a very bad engine and is pretty inefficient though, kinda hard to compare them when we don't actually know what one is like.

I like to think of things as hardware/graphics (so basically efficiency is the gradient). If Crysis 2 is what it says it will be then it should beat Metro2033 hands down (and most other games for that matter).

It seems to artifact on 3/6 GPUs I've tested with it and all of them have been underclocked as far as they'll go with voltage drops and with the fans turned up to the max.

It's fairly impressive but the fact that I can run it at 26-30fps on the same settings as an i7 with a 295 that gets the same framerate says something about it. Also same frames as a single 285 that was heavily overclocked.

IMO CryEngine3 will be easier to run than 2. They learned alot since 2007; as long as it looks better than whatever the consoles are goin to crap out, ill be happy.

It seems to artifact on 3/6 GPUs I've tested with it and all of them have been underclocked as far as they'll go with voltage drops and with the fans turned up to the max.

It's fairly impressive but the fact that I can run it at 26-30fps on the same settings as an i7 with a 295 that gets the same framerate says something about it. Also same frames as a single 285 that was heavily overclocked.

Comparing results between different setups without even knowing how they benched it

i made some research, and what you call artifacting is some minor coding errors, like shaders applied to things they shouldn't etc etc, oh yeah you can find such errors in nearly every engine, some might have more but in the end they will be there.

I've never had this kinda severity issues though.

GTA IV is up next with the graphical issues like big grey slabs (similar to artifacts but not) appearing all over the place.

All the graphics cards were testing in my friends i7 at 3.6GHz air cooled. Tried my 260, friends 285, other mates 295 and lovely little 9800gt.
My 260 beat both the 285 and the 295 and completely dominated the 9800gt. All settings were the same and the same driver version was used for each of the cards.

Explanation? :p
I have no doubt you know more than me, I'm just talking from experience here.

I've never had this kinda severity issues though.

GTA IV is up next with the graphical issues like big grey slabs (similar to artifacts but not) appearing all over the place.

All the graphics cards were testing in my friends i7 at 3.6GHz air cooled. Tried my 260, friends 285, other mates 295 and lovely little 9800gt.
My 260 beat both the 285 and the 295 and completely dominated the 9800gt. All settings were the same and the same driver version was used for each of the cards.

Explanation? :p
I have no doubt you know more than me, I'm just talking from experience here.

from a logical point of view, no card that is on the same architecture, unless severe driver issues, should perform less than a more powerful card.

This said, the randomness of effects, animations and a lot of more stuff makes these kind of benchmarks highly unreliable. not counting the fact that even some difference like OS type, Antivirus and many many more things can impact the performance in a negative way.

I want to believe what you are saying, my Logic is just yelling at me i can't
basically you are saying that the gtx260 scales 0% in that game

this could be true, it isn't the first time i see bad support with SLI in games, but a gtx285 which is a bigger 260 cannot do worse.

If you really want to make an accurate measurement, the system has to be Identical both in hardware and software.

I'll report back when i have a better idea on what those graphical issues you saw on youtube could be.

oh, And GTA is just a terrible port =)

I don't understand it at all :p

I would love an explanation about what's going on. I've convinced myself that my card isn't dying and I'm pretty sure that the other 2 cards that had the effects weren't dying either.

I haven't found anyone else with the problems on the internet but we tested the cards in 3 different systems. Either all of them had the same flaw or something's very strange here.

Well, I put money on a GTX470 being able to play Crysis 2 @ 1920x1080 @ High settings @ No AA/AF - and hit a 30fps average.

Thats if the settings are:
Low
Medium
High
Ultra

-D

Back