• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hosting a forum on GNU/Linux/BSD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JaY_III

Senior of BX
Was wondering if anyone had any experience running a Linux/BSD distro that's main purpose was forum hosting?

What I would ideal like is a small specialized distro that is mostly set up out of the box for forum hosting. Much like what we have with firewalls.
I use http://www.pfsense.com at home and love it.

Anything similar for web forums?

If not can anyone recommend any software i can run?
If i cant find an all in one solution I think i would like to run it on top of FreeBSD or CentOS but that is not set in stone.

FYi this is set to be a small scale forum with few users.

Any advice?

Don't know much about this, never hosted my own.

Here's a guide I found (dated 2004), but gives some basic instructions for Linux or Windows.

http://www.softcoded.com/pdfs/phpbb.pdf (PDF LINK)

Seems like you just need Apache installed. Not sure about any distro specifically designed for forum or web hosting in mind, not that I could fine anyways.

Most people I'm seeing who host websites/forums/games/etc., almost all use Debian or CentOS.

Pick a distro, install LAMP (apache, mysql, php), pick your forum software, install it and bam!

Pick a distro, install LAMP (apache, mysql, php), pick your forum software, install it and bam!

It's as simple as that. Once you have Apache, MySQL, and PHP installed and running on your box you'll be able to run basically every popular forum software out there. Those packages are available natively in every distro I can think of, too, so no source compiling if you're not comfortable with it.

Thanks guys got the exact answers i was looking for.....

Now just need to compare
http://www.simplemachines.org vs http://www.phpbb.com
and should be ready to start tinkering when i finally get home in the next few days.

edit
Distrowatch doesn't mention turnkey at all.
Any idea why?

Last edited:
I highly recommend taking a look at: http://www.turnkeylinux.org/phpbb

They take Ubuntu 8.04 LTS server, strip it down, add and configure certain packages, and what you end up with is a ready to use, secure distro. The phpbb appliance would be perfect for you I think.

i would suggest CentOS and just install LAMPP

also phpbb has been the buggiest, least secure forum software for years now, not sure if they have changed..

As my research goes on, the bad press phpbb has gotten was from back in 2004 and 2008 from a worm that attacked out of date versions. As such the rep has been damaged...
Also the reminder to keep your software upto date.

But it does seem to be the simplest to set up.
SMF is still in consideration for me.

CentOS with LAMPP now called XAMP if my research is correct seem like a very easy option to set up.

The turnkey solution in all honesty doesnt seem to be worth the trouble as i need to install linux anyhow. If i wanted to run it just as a VM on a windows box sure. I just dont see, or i missing it, how to install it without the VM. I do think thats an interesting project and will probably play with if for fun another time.

Monday i should hopefully finally get home and be able to test this out and see if it works for the guys and they want to use this. Just hope the wifes OLD PC still works when i blow the dust off. I think its a P3 celeron. If not going to have to find an old HDD and toss it in my rig.

The turnkey solution in all honesty doesnt seem to be worth the trouble as i need to install linux anyhow. If i wanted to run it just as a VM on a windows box sure. I just dont see, or i missing it, how to install it without the VM. I do think thats an interesting project and will probably play with if for fun another time.

Using a VM is only one way to install it. If you download the .iso version (the one just to the right of the VM version), you can burn it to a cd or copy it to a flash drive just like you would any linux distro.

Since it's based on Ubuntu Server 8.04 LTS, it has no GUI, has no live-cd option, and has older (but time-tested to be stable and secure (think: two years worth of bug-fixes and security updates)) packages.

basically almost anything you can do on a virtual machine you can do on a physical box. are you wanting to install it on a physical machine and not a VM? i guess i am just not sure how you are wanting to go about the install.

Don't need to run it on a VM, as it makes things slightly more complicated.
I will eventually have to show some other people how to admin this box when i am away.
Thats why as many pre-built packages i think makes things simpler.

Must have missed the turnkey ISO on my laptop.....
Reading in the hotel on my bed isnt the best for reading i guess.
No issues what so ever to install like a normal linux distro.
As long as its not on the dozens of floppies i used the 1st time i tried debian back in the 90's.

I am more than happy with a stand alone.
However the VM would be better if net access/office ends up being a requirement on the box.
Having actual users physically on the box is not something I like.

But at this point i am not fully sure what they want.
Today i just found this out as well , depending on how/who is buying the box will also determine if users need access locally.
Plus it also looks like I am putting in a mail server.
At that point i think a VM will be better.
Right now its kind of a less is more situation.

I am just at the build a proof of concept stage right now and if it works we may move forward on this.

I hate being so vague with some details, but its not fully approved from the bosses. Who know who reads this. Don't want to get shut down from the outside before i start. Nothing illegal is going on, but politics can kill a project before it starts.

virtual machine vs physical box isn't really a limiting factor. it is just what you want to go with. if your company has a large VM infrastructure, then VM would be smart. if not, physical box may be the way to go. either way, you can accomplish exactly what you are trying to do.

also with installing debian, you can download a business cd iso image which is like 50 mb and install from that. it all does it by downloading packages as necessary.

Was wondering if anyone had any experience running a Linux/BSD distro that's main purpose was forum hosting?

What I would ideal like is a small specialized distro that is mostly set up out of the box for forum hosting. Much like what we have with firewalls.
I use http://www.pfsense.com at home and love it.

Anything similar for web forums?

If not can anyone recommend any software i can run?
If i cant find an all in one solution I think i would like to run it on top of FreeBSD or CentOS but that is not set in stone.

FYi this is set to be a small scale forum with few users.

Any advice?

My experience is that small distro's are more likely to lose support or die completely. Not very nice to notice one year down the road that the person maintaining it dropped the ball.

It's not exactly rocket science. Just take a good distro (CentOS / Debian), make a minimal install, add apache, php and mysql and you are rocking.

Make sure it's really minimal, for example CentOS server version tries to install so many servers that you will end up with a very insecure version. When you manually remove all the packages you end up with a pretty slim os.

Then make sure you have the databases set up correctly (especially regarding permissions) so that there is a separate user for the forum with no unneeded permissions. SELinux can be a good idea too, though a bit tough to understand.

before you do host a forum... make sure of one very ever so slightly uber important item - that it isn't breaking your ISP's EULA to host a server on your connection.

Yea, Verizon's that way, what a pain. In my area I could switch to dslextreme, still be using Verizon's equipment, but be able to run a server because dslextreme's TOS allow's it.

If a small forum is all you want to run, investing in a $10/month VPS wouldn't be a bad idea. That way, local power outages won't take it down, and you don't have to deal with any hardware failures.

i would suggest CentOS and just install LAMPP

also phpbb has been the buggiest, least secure forum software for years now, not sure if they have changed..

Do it the FUN way, yum install apache php mysql bind

:D

Here's a nice one for Debian:
http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/yes-you-can-run-18-static-sites-on-a-64mb-link-1-vps/

You could just use Kloxo's Host In a Box and get the spiffy interface (not sure on security wise but people are happy) and then install APF firewall http://www.mysql-apache-php.com/apf-firewall.htm

Also helps to ensure you can do it (ask your ISP and also ask for static IPs if they allow for hosting on their line they probably won't care but some are picky lol).

All in all it's cheaper to just buy hosting somewhere and much easier to deal with.

If you get frustrated just ask for a VPS. I think I have like 4 or so IPs laying around lol much easier to do it on a VPS where things are "instantly wiped" (well i give it a couple of mins to be sure lol).

^^ yup, did that at work not too long ago to see how easy it would be vs IIS 7 with php and mysql, i loved it!

As others said, get hosting for it, so many less headaches.

Back