• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[O/C]Reinventing The ATI 5870

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

Reinventing The ATI 5870
by Jeremy Vaughan (hokiealumnus)

The 5800 series GPUs have been out for a while. Manufacturers are now coming out with variations on the originals, but I thought it might be fun to take a step back and do a quick run-through of this generation of AMD/ATI's top graphics cards.

... Return to the article to continue reading.

Discuss this article below. If you are interested in contributing to the front page (www.overclockers.com), please feel free to contact splat, mdcomp, or hokiealumnus. For the latest updates, follow Overclockers.com on Twitter (@Overclockerscom).

The biggest thing I notice about the 3 cards listed at the bottom, MSI Lightning, ASUS ROG Matrix, and the Gigabyte SOC.. the ASUS ROG is 2GB not 1GB!! For only $20 more than either of the other 2, I would pick the ASUS for it's extra power support, extra RAM, and voltage tweaked options. :D Wish I could afford it or I'd buy it right now, knowing that it's available.

Another thing, I have two of the Asus RoG Matrix 5870s and the Memory isn't actually at 4900 (1225), but rather at the stock 1200.

I think that these cards are binned higher than most 5870s because I have yet to see a review of one of these RoG cards that has a GPU core that can't reach 1030+ Mhz. Both of mine reach 1080 @ 1.3v, and 5250 @ 1.675v.

They've also started to include their own special software and features, too. iTracker2, ProbeIt volt-meter voltage monitoring, and the ability to tweak the GDDR5 memory timings for example! That's only with the amazing RoG 5870, though :p

FYI, this article referenced the review coming two Monday's from its publish date, which is this coming Monday. Unfortunately there are some issues that are causing a delay (inability to adjust GPU voltage). I'm working with ATI / Gigabyte, but it won't make next Monday.

Thanks much!

On-topic, still haven't gotten anything on my voltage problem. Will update as I know more.

The Matrix is definitely high dollar in this range. The ROG series as a whole seems to be though. Hopefully they'll drop it to be in line with the rest at some point. :)

Back