• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Favorite Addons for Linux

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It has been a while since I have posted anything here. The semester is finally over and I am feeling a little spunky. I know that there was a new release of Ubuntu a few months back. Wondering if there have been any new "must have" addons that you guys/gals have bumped into. :thup:

Two more for try out:

1) Apt-fast and Axel script

"The apt-fast script I have created is a little shellscript that increases the speed of apt-get by many times. You need to have the axel download accelerator installed, which is a simple, short process, but everything else is extremely straight forward. I started out downloading the upgrades for Kubuntu, at 32kb/s. Not terrible, but not that great. When I was done with the script here, I was getting up to ~850kb/s. That is great, huh?"

http://www.mattparnell.com/projects...aster-apt-get-installations-and-upgrades.html

2) Burg-Manager (Don't think it gets along with Wubi)

"Burg-manager is an intuitive interface that simplify installation and configuration of the BURG bootloader. Burg-manager allows to install many beautiful themes from a big gallery."

http://ubuntuguide.net/decorate-grub-2-boot-loader-with-burg-manager-gui-for-burg

:santa2:

Long time, no update.

Sorry for not updating this post in a while. I got busy with other things and such. I just added Aledine's suggestions to the list. Check out the reason for editing and you will see the changes.

I have returned to this thread to get some more ideas for things that I should add to my Linux install. not to long ago there was a discussion about why I chose the term addon. At this point the thread has changed direction a little and I have decided to include anything that you find useful in your Linux install. If you have a script feel free to share it. Just be sure to describe what it does. Of course if you got it from somewhere else please add a URL or some form of credit so that it goes to the correct person.

Besides all of that I have started looking at trying to get a home network (hard wired) up and running. I am looking at trying to put together a NAS. In a thread that I had started FreeNAS was suggested. Is there anything that I should look at running/intalling when I get this up and running?

I've actually grown to like Nvidia's Vdpau repository. You get a whole new version of VLC in your repo that's accelerated graphics compatible.

actually, now that I think about it, PenguSpy has a lot of commercial and open source games for linux.

Last edited by a moderator:
Themes

Just wanted to give this thread a little love.

I recently ran across a Win7/Vista theme for Linux. I know that this seems contrary to what you would want but the fact is that for someone that has never used a Linux distro this theme could be very useful as it is almost an exact copy of windows. They even changed the FF icon to an IE icon.

I don't have the link for it near me right now. I am pretty sure that you could Google for it. :burn:/google Yeap, you can and there a lot more than the one that I have now.

Anyone else got any themes that they are just in love with or desktop add ins that you cant live without?

I think this thread may evolve a lot in the coming months with Unity and Gnome 3 duking it out... could even say "favourite tweaks"

Its way too soon to tell... A lot of hate out there for unity from my reading but Gnome 3 has some downsides as well. We will just have to wait and see

BUMP for update and content.

:bump:

Just wanted to swing by this thread since I haven't been by in a while and see what was happening. As I thought it was stagnant. I added the last suggestion to the list under Productivity.

Any suggestions are welcome as always and I will get them added to the list. :thup:

Just have to say nice thread, I've been a linux dabbler for years, never can fully commit though as sadly I need DX in my life for games :chair: If it weren't for gaming I could easily use linux 24/7 and be quite happy :D

Very useful info in this thread though! definitely going in the bookmarks!

Back