• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New rig. AMD or intel?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well at low level gfx cards, yes. But 2x5970 or 68**? This is a bit of a sticking block for me at the moment. Id really like to find out some real info.

Every benchmark I have seen has shown little to no performance difference between 8X and 16X. Anyone have a benchmark that proves otherwise? ( that seemed a bit obnoxious but I am just genuinely curious)

Me either. But even at 8X a 68** would destroy most current games and most future games as well. ( near future at least)

well, no I disagree.
On 1 monitor, sure, but have you seen the eyefinity setups on you tube? 5700 resolution or so. You can see your peripheral vision. Its so much its like hax. You be crazy NOT to use eyefinity if you play FPS and that's where the more power is needed and why I follow this up.

On 1 monitor, sure

Two 5970's can handle 3x 1920 x 1080 (which is what I run and will run on my next rig) and 2 x 6970's will run it no problem. GPU's approximately double in power every gen so If a 5970 can do it a 6970 can tear it apart.

he mentions 2 6870's.

Does the AMD boards give 2x 16 slots for graphics cards, or only split the 1x 16 into 2x 8's?

AMD boards do have 2 x16 slots but usually the higher end boards. Another option people can go with is 3 pci-e slot boards that run x16/x16/x0 or x16/x8/x8 like I did, granted I went nvidia for the SLI scaling, drivers and CUDA for my multimedia stuff. Most of them are $150~ and the really good ones around 200.

You prolly bought already... however for 1090T+ crosshair formula IV best ram option would be "ocz for amd black edition 1600mhz cl7" IMHO. And yep, asus crosshair burns asses to ashes. up to 4 8x GPU/2 16x, and all this OC stuff.. =3

If you are for Gaming,Go AMD Black Edition;the money you saved from mobo and cpu can all be directed at a killer GPU like ATI HD5870 2GB or Nvidia GTX480,and you are all set to frag:rock:

I haven't decided on much but I have decided I'm going 1090t. I've used tons of intel processors from the pentium II to the i7's so I want to jump ship and see what the other deck is like so to speak. I want 12 GB of ram but haven't decided which kind, 1 5870 ( upgrade to two 6870's when the 6 series comes out) and no idea about a mobo yet. Basically I have got nothing decided except I want to go AMD/ATI on this one.

I feel the same way, I've used Intel my entire life but I've flopped back and forth from Nvidia to ATI. I want to see whats on the other side. I think I'm opting for a 1055 though.

I've been very pleased with my AMD build after running years of Intel...though, honestly, there isn't that much of a difference as far as seat of the pants feeling. Benchmarking will probably result in the Intel system being faster.

For me it's all about money saving, the top of the line mobos are way cheaper for AMD, the top of the line AMD CPU is only $300 (unlocked and 6 cores, wow), the RAM seems a bit cheaper because of the 4 or 8gb options verses 6 or 12gb.

Leaves more money for SSds, video cards, etc. My 2 cents. :chair:

Yeah with an SSD or a better VGA.. it certainly makes AMD look a bit more attractive considering their solutions.

Their motherboards are a lot cheaper, their as much as the 1156 are and thats just a mid-range 1156 =( 1336 are insane!

honestly, there isn't that much of a difference as far as seat of the pants feeling. Benchmarking will probably result in the Intel system being faster.

Leaves more money for SSds, video cards, etc. My 2 cents. :chair:

+1 That's how I feel to, it leaves more room for the purchase of other components.:)

+1 That's how I feel to, it leaves more room for the purchase of other components.:)

+1

I can't really understand how people recommend intel for purely gaming if its to be built on a budget. Sure if your dropping $3000 then its not unreasonable to drop 25-30% of your budget into the CPU+Chipset. But for cheaper rigs, not only will you save $20-40 on an AMD cpu, but you also save anywhere from $50-150 on a comparable motherboard, and another $30-50 for dual instead of triple channel ram (Assuming high end rig is i7)

And lets face it, in games the CPU more often than not just needs to be "good enough" I used to be overclocked to 3.8Ghz, and I can't tell a difference between that and the 3.2 I'm at now. Games are gpu dependent, and if they're cpu dependent then usually your already getting such high framerates that even a substantial difference has negligable returns.

If going for GAMING the i7 quad core is much better than AMD's 6 cores of almost equivalent cost. The i7 is also said to have much more potential as far as overclocking, and I like the intel compatible MOBO's a lot more than the AMD compatible MOBO's.

I'm no expert, I'm coming on my 2nd build now and have never overclocked. I've researched the same topic on other forums, and supposedly benchmarks found the i7 much better than the AMD hexa for gaming and overclocking.

Hope I could be of any assistance :)

If going for GAMING the i7 quad core is much better than AMD's 6 cores of almost equivalent cost. The i7 is also said to have much more potential as far as overclocking, and I like the intel compatible MOBO's a lot more than the AMD compatible MOBO's.

I'm no expert, I'm coming on my 2nd build now and have never overclocked. I've researched the same topic on other forums, and supposedly benchmarks found the i7 much better than the AMD hexa for gaming and overclocking.

Hope I could be of any assistance :)

If using a mid level video card then the i7 is the better choice but if using a high end card the CPU becomes less important than the MB design. An Intel build does allow more choice when it comes to a dual card solution.

Back