• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New rig. AMD or intel?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
+1
I can't really understand how people recommend intel for purely gaming if its to be built on a budget. Sure if your dropping $3000 then its not unreasonable to drop 25-30% of your budget into the CPU+Chipset. But for cheaper rigs, not only will you save $20-40 on an AMD cpu, but you also save anywhere from $50-150 on a comparable motherboard, and another $30-50 for dual instead of triple channel ram (Assuming high end rig is i7)

Depends on how "budget" the budget is. My i5-750 and Biostar motherboard that is 8x/8x CFX and SLI capable together cost $240 brand new as a combo. To me, that was a bargain and priced equally to a Phenom II X4 BE and equivalent motherboard and the i5-750 is a better CPU for pretty much everything and used dual channel ram so no additional costs there. But honestly anything below the i5-750 (760 now) costs, I will go AMD every time.

Now also being said, my Phenom II X2 555 unlocked to essentially a X4 955 is a very solid CPU and is great for gaming. It overclocks pretty easily and is plenty fast for single card gaming with no real noticeable different between it and my i5 at 1920x1200 with eye candy turned up on a 5850. At $85 it has been one of my favorite purchases in a long time.

I agree Gskills is awesome. I have sticks for almost 8 years and never had any problem with them. They oc well too.

I have time behind an SSD and that is what makes a big difference in performance these days. Not CPU. Cut my encoding times literally in half but they are small still and very expensive.

AMD vs. intel. It is a tough decision but honestly I think AMD is by far best bang for buck with its six core and budget boards. AMD right now is in lead until intel drops a mainstream 6 core meaning one that is priced 300$ or lower. Intel is still trying to get rid of its 45nm chips before they move to 32nm next year. So AMD will probably be best bang until then.

If its for gaming you wont notice a difference in games with both CPUs, the newest games (or atleast most of them) don't use the 4 cores of quads, not to talk about 6 cores..
And i'm pretti sure you won't be able to hit 5GHz, you're saying it like its something easy, because someone else who knows when & where to touch overclocked it.
To be able to hit 5ghz you'll need good RAM, PSU, CPU and dice...
Also if you're getting 8GB ram it will be even harder to hit 5ghz..

Amd cpu's do not have a 1600mhz cap. I don't know why that was mentioned, because it's a load of crap. As far speed though, you won't notice anything over tightly timed 1333.

Also, 5ghz is DIce/Ln2 only, but if you can keep your temps low enough with H2O and tweak the hell out of it, you might get close to 4.5ghz. Best of luck as well.

Ok so, I really like the ASUS CHIV Formula board. I absolutely LOVE my 1090T as well, this combo is sick. Add in a good video card or two (5870 x2 or single 5970....) and for under 1k (minus power supply, ram and case) You have a monster. My experience with overclocking my 1090 so far lets me push to about 4.1 with just an eco ALC 120, I'll be upgrading from this horrific trash that is my Apevia case into a HAF 932 (hopefully today!) and I'm hoping to squeeze 4.2 out of it before I move into watercooling.

Last edited:
Ok so, I really like the ASUS CHIV Formula board. I absolutely LOVE my 1090T as well, this combo is sick. Add in a good video card or two (5870 x2 or single 5970....) and for under 1k (minus power supply, ram and case) You have a monster. My experience with overclocking my 1090 so far lets me push to about 4.1 with just an eco ALC 120, I'll be upgrading from this horrific trash that is my Apevia case into a HAF 932 (hopefully today!) and I'm hoping to squeeze 4.2 out of it before I move into watercooling.

Not sure how you E.C.O is mounted, but if you round up some screws and set the fan on it as a push you will drop another 1-3c, or at least that was my experience. For what it's worth I was using internal case air.

I haven't been on the forums much if at all for a few months because of personal issues. Also my build was delayed for the same issues. EVENTUALLY I'll build a new system. And after all the suggestions her I pretty much know what I want.

Back