• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New rig. AMD or intel?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Younglin

I have been having trouble deciding between a new i7 rig or a new Thuban rig. No way I am buying the i7 980x that thing is way overpriced. What do you guys think? 6 cores of AMD or 4 cores of Intel?

Depends on what you are doing.
They are some review i7 920 vs 1055t/1090t u should have fun reading time.
From what i have seen sometime the 1090T beat i7 and i7 beat 1090t at some thing.
i7 920 @ 4ghz = burn't pancake 290$ 8 *virtual* core ddr3/2000mhz +
1090T @ 4ghz = warm pancake 310$ 6 *real* core ddr2/ddr3 1600mhz only-

Last edited:
4.5ghz + will require dry ice/ln2 cooling. But nore 100% sure.
4.5ghz = imposible with air
4.5ghz = might be possible under water (with a really nice one)

I'm going water on this one. 3x120 quad rads. >= D

And I have seen 4.2Ghz on air with good temps. Just need a good cooler and good fans.

Far as gaming performance, from the reviews I have read, the i7 and 1090 are about equal in multi-threaded games such as BFBC2 with differences being less than 2 FPS between them. Far as the intel vs. AMD, generally AMD will make it easier for you to upgrade later on vs. intel. The biggest advantage with intel is the 8 virtual cores will help with certain multi-threaded multimedia apps and number crunching. Also, if you were planning on SLI or XFire, it limits your mobo choices depending on whether you go intel or amd. With my rig, i had a little more limited selection of boards to do nvidia sli with AMD. Just something to keep in mind when choosing a processor, look at cost of boards and compatibility.

Personally I say go with AMD, but after viewing all the fanboyism that is soon to come, the choice is yours.

PS
Just from personal experiences, I have found it easier to OC AMD chips vs Intel.

I think I'm going with the thuban. I saw a vid on youtube of a Mobo with 4 X16 slots. I would only use 2 but it looks like a good OC board. It was an ASUS I think. Their new AMD boards look great. I figure I am an ATI fan boy so I might as well go AMD.

Far as gaming performance, from the reviews I have read, the i7 and 1090 are about equal in multi-threaded games such as BFBC2 with differences being less than 2 FPS between them. Far as the intel vs. AMD, generally AMD will make it easier for you to upgrade later on vs. intel. The biggest advantage with intel is the 8 virtual cores will help with certain multi-threaded multimedia apps and number crunching. Also, if you were planning on SLI or XFire, it limits your mobo choices depending on whether you go intel or amd. With my rig, i had a little more limited selection of boards to do nvidia sli with AMD. Just something to keep in mind when choosing a processor, look at cost of boards and compatibility.

Personally I say go with AMD, but after viewing all the fanboyism that is soon to come, the choice is yours.

PS
Just from personal experiences, I have found it easier to OC AMD chips vs Intel.
Could you link to the bench scores betewen the i7 and 1090t?

Most games don't even use all 4 cores, so I don't see how six will help.

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/amd_phenom2_x6_1090t/9.htm
http://www.guru3d.com/article/phenom-ii-x6-1055t-1090t-review/1
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.p...sk=view&id=508&Itemid=63&limit=1&limitstart=6

I didn't say it did. Basically all the reviews show that yes Intel is faster in a lot of areas, but AMD shows better bang for the buck. Gaming performance is rather close with the i7s since game performance is more linked to GPUs. What the review have shown is that the 6 core AMD processors compete very well with intel around the 300 USD price point. Add OC'in to the mix, makes it a sweeter deal.

I've owned quad core amd and intel chips and I have to say I much prefer amd when im gaming. If im doing folding at home stuff or seti stuff I'd pick an intel chip.

I've owed both myself. I had an AMD 955 BE. Didn't care for it so I sold it and got the i5 750. Not one regret either. The i5 750 is a great CPU hands down and it's affordable.

I can tell you this much my current rig and CPU destroyed my old AMD rig. If I were you I'd take look at the i7 930 or the i7-875K. If you want AMD, then go for the 1055t! Six cores for $200 isn't a bad deal. It's totally up to you though.

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/amd_phenom2_x6_1090t/9.htm
http://www.guru3d.com/article/phenom-ii-x6-1055t-1090t-review/1
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.p...sk=view&id=508&Itemid=63&limit=1&limitstart=6

I didn't say it did. Basically all the reviews show that yes Intel is faster in a lot of areas, but AMD shows better bang for the buck. Gaming performance is rather close with the i7s since game performance is more linked to GPUs. What the review have shown is that the 6 core AMD processors compete very well with intel around the 300 USD price point. Add OC'in to the mix, makes it a sweeter deal.
Thanks for posting the reviews, I agree with what your saying the AMD is a better value, more bang for the buck.:)

For gaming he could save money and get a new Intel series duo core. I'm not a big fan about the integrated graphics though.

The i5 750 can game just as good as any AMD CPU! Just read the reviews. That's no secret.

For gaming he could save money and get a new Intel series duo core. I'm not a big fan about the integrated graphics though.

The i5 750 can game just as good as any AMD CPU! Just read the reviews. That's no secret.[/QUOTE/]

If he is looking down at the i5s, the 965 is a great deal at $180ish. When it comes down to it, a good high clocked dual core, or quads with prices dropping thanks to the hexas, is all you need for gaming. Save some money and put the rest into a good graphics card like a 5770, 5870 or 470, 275 or 260.

The i5 750 can game just as good as any AMD CPU! Just read the reviews. That's no secret.[/QUOTE/]

If he is looking down at the i5s, the 965 is a great deal at $180ish. When it comes down to it, a good high clocked dual core, or quads with prices dropping thanks to the hexas, is all you need for gaming. Save some money and put the rest into a good graphics card like a 5770, 5870 or 470, 275 or 260.

For $199 or even $180 he'd be getting a great CPU either way. It's up to him now. I'm just here to give him my feedback on a pretty good CPU in the i5 750. Nothing more then that.

I haven't decided on much but I have decided I'm going 1090t. I've used tons of intel processors from the pentium II to the i7's so I want to jump ship and see what the other deck is like so to speak. I want 12 GB of ram but haven't decided which kind, 1 5870 ( upgrade to two 6870's when the 6 series comes out) and no idea about a mobo yet. Basically I have got nothing decided except I want to go AMD/ATI on this one.

Back