• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP pro key work with XP home disc?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
LOL should have the day before yesterday (the 2nd) I just sold it on ebay and bought win 7. If it helps it was a orange box and when you opened it had the usual activation code with a sticker above it saying "good for three activations!" or some garbage like that.

LOL should have the day before yesterday (the 2nd) I just sold it on ebay and bought win 7. If it helps it was a orange box and when you opened it had the usual activation code with a sticker above it saying "good for three activations!" or some garbage like that.

So you sold an xp cd/key that doesn't work anymore because it's been over activated?

Younglin was you just did was very bad and tastless, and I might even consider it scamming. It's probably illegal too, since you sold your key, you no longer have the rights to it.

You should be careful the guy probably will do a charge back.

Younglin was you just did was very bad and tastless, and I might even consider it scamming. It's probably illegal too, since you sold your key, you no longer have the rights to it.

You should be careful the guy probably will do a charge back.

I posted on the page that it was already used and the key no longer worked. Guy who bought didn't care. I even emailed him before I shipped it. He still wanted it so I don't see how it was tasteless. If I didn't tell him it was used and sold it I could see how that would be .. well just an a**hole thing to do.

When you sold the disk, and the COA, you transferred those licenses, and forfeited the right to use them. Also, you no longer have the disks if you need to do a reinstall. A Poor choice, and quite likely to result in a chargeback and refund..

When you sold the disk, and the COA, you transferred those licenses, and forfeited the right to use them. Also, you no longer have the disks if you need to do a reinstall. A Poor choice, and quite likely to result in a chargeback and refund..

My comps already have windows on them and I'll probably never do a re-install so it doesn't matter.

What people are trying to get at is since you sold your license key(s) to someone else, it is no longer legal to keep windows installed on any of the computers. Sure, they are all activated correctly at the moment, but it is not legal to keep windows installed.

If you want to try and stay legal, I would get a Windows 7 family pack and reinstall windows on those computers. If not, that's your prerogative.

If a part goes down or you catch a virus on one of those computers and end up having to reformat, it's going to be a huge headache down the road.

Since in your first post you eluded to having an XP pro key, you could reformat and put XP pro on the computer. If you have multiple XP pro keys, you could be set.

Back