• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP pro key work with XP home disc?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
wont work... xp keys have to be used 1. on their intended distro (home, media center, pro, 64bit) and on their original type... ie Retail or OEM.

ie... a retail xp pro key wont work on xp pro oem disk. and a xp pro key will def not work on a any home install, oem or retail.

Why can't you call MS and reactive it?

It's already been used three times. You buy the disc and the code can be used three times. That's just how it works. I would call and they would say " you have to buy a new code". I've tried. Just another way for Microsoft to "stop pirating", (make more money)

Younglin, you're mistaken, unless you're using it on multiple pcs.

I've installed, repair installed, upgraded hardware and did a fresh install. Repeatedly.. I'm still on my same key.. 11 or 12 activations so far.

Sometimes it won't do it over the internet connection, and I have to do a phone activation. You may get an automated line, or you might talk to a person.. be honest, tell them your installation was corrupted, or you had to reformat, or you replaced the hard drive, whatever is the truth. They'll ask how many computers it's installed on, tell them the truth. Unless you're doing something wrong (IE Using the same key on multiple pc, without a site license) they'll activate it quickly.

if you get someone who wants to sell you a new key, say no thanks, hang up, can call again until you get someone who's not trying to screw you.

You're Currently using it on 3 pcs? Then you're 2 over the limit for most licenses.

Nah its good for three PC's, that's why I bought it. Maybe I'll call MS and see if they'll reactivate. Not in rush so it doesn't matter much. Thanks for the help guys.

Nah its good for three PC's, that's why I bought it. Maybe I'll call MS and see if they'll reactivate. Not in rush so it doesn't matter much. Thanks for the help guys.

There is no copy of XP Home that is licensed for three computers, I'm thinking you miss understood what you bought

(VLK's were only for XP Pro)

Last edited:
Yes, as said, there was no version of XP that sold a license for multiple computers

your license is only good for 1 computer at a time, that is it.

Many stores sell three-packs (like this) of Windows. If that's what you bought, there should've been three keys in the box. If there were not, you need to get a 67% refund from the company that sold you one key for the price of three.

It's just one key but says on the box it's good for three computers. Bought it a few years ago and have probably used it like 10 times. I can reuse it over and over but only on those three comps. I called MS and they said I have to buy a new key, this one has been used to much. Maybe because I'm in Canada its a different policy? I don't know, but it doesn't matter, I'm just going to get windows 7 on here.

It's just one key but says on the box it's good for three computers

Not to doubt you, but i do, any chance of taking a picture of that?

Sure it did not read you could install it on "upto 3 computers" before asking for activation ?

Win 7 is the way to go!

Doesnt win 7 have some family pack out ?

Back