• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

720 BE on new board OC Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ekoh

Well, to make it short i just got a new board 890GX nb and 850SB, ive successfully unlocked my 4th core and is stable up to 3.4 possibly higher with some fine tuning. My question is , previously my cpu hit a 3.4 wall on 3 cores with my old 770/700sb board. Im able to get it to around 3.7 with this board paired with my DDR3 1600.

Performance wise for gaming, which is a better OC 3 cores @ 3.7 or 4 cores @ 3.4-3.5?

Thanks!

Depends, are you running high end games that use DX11 and 10.1 to the max or you playing games like WoW, that use DX9 / 10

Depends, are you running high end games that use DX11 and 10.1 to the max or you playing games like WoW, that use DX9 / 10

Higher end, DX11. No Wow here except some private server action on my little laptop/seti machine.

So yes sir, DX11 and 10.1 games to the max mostly.

I Will say unlocking my 4th core made my mark06 score jump by nearly 3.5k from stock clock.

Well, here is the million dollar question. What held you back with your 770/Sb700 board? If it was the board, then without a doubt you will get to 3.7, but if it was a cooling situation or ram then unless those have changed, you won't see a difference.

In my opinion, it couldn't have been the board previously. I used to run my 720 in an nvidia board and that could even hit 3.7ghz and still boot to x64 Vista.

Attachments

• 3710mhz.jpg
    3710mhz.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 185
Actually the board can play a big part in an OC, espcially if there they are two completly different Chipsets. Hes got a more advanced system now, that works far better with the AM3.

I suggest doing a test. Run the unlocked at highest OC, and see what you get with the Crysis benchmark. Than do the same thing with the X3.

My previous board was glitchy as Eveer. So I upgraded as sig shows. Any recommendations on what I could do to keep a high oc stable with this new board n memory. I'm watercooled and idle at 30 with 3.4 oc unlocked. Previous board would not break 3.5 x3 Sorry for grammar on android phone.

Also, might i ask, is it normal that when i unlock the 4th core, it reads it as a Phenom II x4 20 and core temp stops picking up the temps, only HWMonitor will pick the temps up when 4th core is enabled.

Also, might i ask, is it normal that when i unlock the 4th core, it reads it as a Phenom II x4 20 and core temp stops picking up the temps, only HWMonitor will pick the temps up when 4th core is enabled.
It's normal and, actually, HWMonitor isn't picking up the core temp - it's showing the motherboard's CPU temp from the sensor under the socket ...

well, so far im @ 3.5(ish) with the 4th core unlocked. CPU VID @ 1.41 NB VID @ stock. Think i could get higher? Anything i should try to get higher? Since core temp is down HWMon is showing 32* idle, core temp would roll around 17-20 when it was working on 3 cores. Am I in the safe zone temp wise?

With an H50 in push/pull you probably have quite a bit of overhead left to use up. I've seen X4's running 1.50 vCore getting into the lower-50's on temps, which is still acceptable. I'd keep pushing it ... :)

Your IMC will be the interesting factor in this OC. Since you have unlocked a broken core, it may create instability there.

I'd suggest running normal Timings with high RAM speeds, keep the CPU-NB around 2.6-2.8 and HTT around 2.0. With voltages you have freedom, so don't worry about going above 1.55 cpuv and 1.35 on CPU-NBv.

Thanks for the info QuiteIce and Dolk, i forgot to mention i am currently @ 14.5 X 243 and default ram timings 9 - 9 - 9 - 24. CPU NB @ 2400(ish i think) and ht @ 2000. So I think im on the right track. I just need to up my muliplier a few and throw some more V's @ it since i should be safe going above 1.5 (i've always been afraid to do so). So after work I will give it a shot and see how that goes, I would LOVE to get 3.7 on these 4 cores, think its possible?

I will say i get no boot past 2400 on the NB, any reason why that may be that I can correct?

It depends on how good the "bad" core is.

My suggestion, set thing to stock (manualy) load up AOD, and OC individual cores. Go one by one, and see how high you can push them with up to 1.45v.

IMC, and HTT shouldn't be a factor, but it wouldnt hurt to put the CPU-NB at 2.4-2.6ghz with 1.22v as the highest voltage.

It depends on how good the "bad" core is.

My suggestion, set thing to stock (manualy) load up AOD, and OC individual cores. Go one by one, and see how high you can push them with up to 1.45v.

IMC, and HTT shouldn't be a factor, but it wouldnt hurt to put the CPU-NB at 2.4-2.6ghz with 1.22v as the highest voltage.

Make the CPU stock, but shall i leave the fsb @ 243 and just up the multiplier and voltage in AOD?

no bring the FSB back down to 200. You will be able to adjust Voltages in AOD, but you should set the CPU-NB and CPU-NBv in the BIOS, along with the RAM.

yeah you can try that out, if it works it works.

You will have to tinker with some of the settings so that it works for your hardware.

Well to conclude (for now) I think i will stay where I am at. I have found that the unlocked 4th core disabled the diode for temps on the cores, so I am gonna hang ten on this moderate OC of 3.5ghz with 4th core unlocked. I think I made a decent jump, from an x3 @ 2.8 to a x4 3.5ghz. I've seen a 3k(ish) jump in 3dmark06(which is very cpu biased) and my everyday games seem to run a lot smoother as my previous board threw a bottleneck in my system obviously.

Anything above 3.5 I can't seem to get stable and i'm kind of worried about not being able to watch my temps if I have to throw some higher V's at it to get it stable. My core temps on the x3 were around 16*C. I have no idea what they are now with x4 Oc'd, my CPU temp reads 32*C in HWMonitor,so i'm somewhat confused.

If anyone objects and thinks i have the headroom / safe-zone to go higher, please feel free to give me recommendations, if not im happy.....for now.

Back