• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC just won't work. Help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That's not the number we are looking for, may need to look elsewhere on the board.
What number are you looking for? Thanks for all the help by the way.
What socket type? (775?)

I'm assuming so but I know NOTHING about this comp. It has an AGP ASUS Nvidia card running a P4. Basically all I know.

Try switching the port the hard drive is plugged into, and if that doesn't work, try following these instructions to reset CMOS. If that fails, the board is busted.

2. Clear RTC RAM (CLRTC)
This jumper allows you to clear the Real Time Clock (RTC) RAM in
CMOS. You can clear the CMOS memory of date, time, and system
setup parameters by erasing the CMOS RTC RAM data. The RAM
data in CMOS, that include system setup information such as system
passwords, is powered by the onboard button cell battery.
To erase the RTC RAM:
1. Turn OFF the computer and unplug the power cord.
2. Move the jumper cap from pins 1-2 (default) to pins 2-3. Keep the
cap on pins 2-3 for about 5~10 seconds, then move the cap back
to pins 1-2.
3. Plug the power cord and turn ON the computer.
4. Hold down the <Del> key during the boot process and enter BIOS
setup to re-enter data.

Attachments

• reset.png
    reset.png
    24.4 KB · Views: 95
Short the pins and that will disable this feature:

7. Chassis intrusion connector (4-1 pin CHASSIS)
This lead is for a chassis designed with intrusion detection feature.
This requires an external detection mechanism such as a chassis
intrusion sensor or microswitch. When you remove any chassis
component, the sensor triggers and sends a high-level signal to this
lead to record a chassis intrusion event.
By default, the pins labeled “Chassis Signal” and “Ground” are shorted
with a jumper cap. If you wish to use the chassis intrusion detection
feature, remove the jumper cap from the pins.

Attachments

• chassis.png
    chassis.png
    22.1 KB · Views: 89
Use the jumper if you have one, if not, use a paperclip to see if that gets you past the intrusion warning. Anything metal will short the jumper and disable the feature if you connect the highlighted pins.

Did you remove that jumper and try and see if it will power up. also do you have a PS/2 keyboard

Did you remove that jumper and try and see if it will power up. also do you have a PS/2 keyboard

You remove the jumper to enable the feature. There was no jumper so I used like 50 different metal things to try and get passed it but it didn't work. I don't need a ps/2 keyboard because my keyboard works. When I press tab it displays everything loading and when I press del it enters the setup. Which is actually just show everything being detected.

Sounds like you have a bad hard drive, can you do a hard drive test from a CD or floppy.

The hard drive is fine it was working before just fine and the computer still sees it and says it's status is okay. The mobo has chassis intrusion error and won't let the comp boot any further.

The hard drive being detected means the controller on the drive is good. It doesn't mean the drive is working - drives are often detected normally when they go bad, mechanical problems mean the drive still is detected fine.

That said, the chassis intrusion problem is the first order of business... The drive probably is fine.

Steal a jumper from another hard drive, another motherboard, or even from the CMOS jumper on this motherboard if you have no other options... and connect it as I pictured above on the chassis intrusion jumper.

If that doesn't do it, when you enter BIOS, there may be an option to clear the intrusion event.

Example of this being fixed on your motherboard:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4867335&postcount=5

By the way, when I said the board was dead earlier, I was reading your post about all the other weirdness you've encountered... I reread the thread and it doesn't sound like there is anything really wrong with your board, other than a missing jumper on the chassis intrusion pins, and an inability to get them shorted properly.

Last edited:
Back