• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC just won't work. Help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What does your BIOS tell you? Check to see if it's detected in BIOS or whether the sata port it's plugged into is enabled. Also try toggling the SATA operation mode.

The other possibilities is that your SATA cable is broken, or your hard drive is bad.

Now it says "fatal error chassis intrude". I have never seen that before. I can't get into the bios. It says del to run setup and tab to display something but neither opens the bios. I tried pressing ever f button and nothing. I don't think it's the drive because when it's running the setup it lists the drive and says it's status is ok.

Reset bios. What did you do previously to the problem occurring? Update bios maybe?
I didn't do anything. I bought this rig off a friend of a friend just for casual use. It worked perfectly fine. I switched cases and it still worked fine. Then for awhile I couldn't get the graphics card to turn on. then that magically fixed itself and I got the "no hard drive detcted" or whatever message. Now it says "chassis intruded". I don't know what mobo this is, but its a asus board. I have no idea how to reset the bios.

Run the CPUZ to see all those detail and post again. I mean if you have a spare HDD just plug in and fresh install Windows see is it work?

The drive is fine. During start up it detects the drive and says it's status is ok.

Only a Drive Self Test (DST) from a hard drive diagnostic utility can tell you whether your drive is fine or not.

If your BIOS "sees" the drive, then the other likely reason why it's not booting is because the hard drive installed is not present in the boot order. You are going to have to figure out how to get into your BIOS in order to solve your problem. We may better be able to help you if you post the model motherboard you have and/or the BIOS manufacturer.

The chassis intrusion simply means that you've opened the case and tripped a sensor designed to detect that. By any chance, is this machine a Dell?

Sometimes the bios does not recognize a USB keyboard and you need to use a PS/2 keyboard to get into bios.

What ASUS board do you have.

What ASUS board do you have.

As I said above, I bought it off a friend of a friend, I have no idea what board it is.

Sometimes the bios does not recognize a USB keyboard and you need to use a PS/2 keyboard to get into bios.

But it has a "press tab to show setup" option and when I press tab it shows the setup. ( just shows everything loading.)

There is screen printing on the board itself, if you look at it you can decipher what board it is via the model numbers printed on the PCB itself.

From what you have reported so far, it sounds like the board is failing. You need to reset BIOS to know for sure.

Seeing as you don't know how, the easiest way is locating the CMOS battery and removing it for several minutes to ensure things reset, then replacing it and seeing how things boot up.

If you can provide the model number, we can give you specific instructions. If you can't give us any info, its impossible to help much and you end up with 20 posts in a thread and not getting anywhere.

I googled the number (next to the dimm slots) and got nothing. Tried searching it on asus' sit and got nothing. It's an older board running a pentium4, and it has agp not pci, if that helps. The number is msa63c1119-66269-mblb85-e61.

Back