• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel X25-V 40GB benches

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Psykoikonov

Just picked up this from our forum member chawks2 and thought I would post some benches. This is a single Intel X25-V 40GB with basically nothing on it (one installed game, nothing else) running the latest firmware (v1.5) and using an AMD SB750 controller. My first Intel product ever so go easy :chair:.

Last edited:
Tell me, is there a big difference between your old drive (I'm assuming you had a normal HDD) and this X25-V? eg. boot up times, loading times, overall "snappiness" of your system.

Tell me, is there a big difference between your old drive (I'm assuming you had a normal HDD) and this X25-V? eg. boot up times, loading times, overall "snappiness" of your system.

This is a single Intel X25-V 40GB with basically nothing on it (one installed game, nothing else)

It's not for OS. You can also tell in his screenshots because it's drive D and C is always the installation partition.

There was a big difference for me when I replaced my laptop drive with one. It's a pretty worthwhile upgrade. These days, though, I would go for a 60GB Vertex or Agility when they go on sale - at $120, you get more capacity and better write speeds for not much more.

There was a big difference for me when I replaced my laptop drive with one. It's a pretty worthwhile upgrade. These days, though, I would go for a 60GB Vertex or Agility when they go on sale - at $120, you get more capacity and better write speeds for not much more.

+1. I got mine on ebay brand new for $150 shipped. Really noticeable upgrade.

I've used many hard drives from laptops to older ATA drives to Western Digitals 640GB and Velociraptors and pretty well everything in between. Compared to the laptops I've used and the older ATA drives the SSD's (I've used Vertexes both single and in Raid, and now the Intel X25-V) and speed is very noticeable. Compared to a WD6400AALS I would still say the difference in still fairly noticeable. Compared to a Velociraptor not so much. The SSD is a bit snappier but certain things appear to be the same speed. iTunes is a great example, so are most games, there is no noticeable difference in load times. Windows does load slightly faster on an SSD than a VRaptor but it's nothing to right home about.

My netbook's sata1 interface chokes my X-25m a bit, but it was a HUGE speed increase over the brick it came with. The thing now has no moving parts or noise either.

Best part of these drives is you can buy 4 from new egg for $14 more than what one 160GB drive costs you. Same storage, drastically better performance with 4 -Vs than 1 160.

To contribute something, I threw a -v in my work laptop. The Encryption on the drive slows it down, but its night and day faster than the 4500 RPM POS seagate that was in there. I didn't even realize anyone made 4500rpm drives 3 years ago when I got the laptop.

Back