• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dell 5 Pin Fan connector

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RIPSTER

Got a couple of 92mm fans from a Dell XPS, Nidec Beta V TA350DC. I want to hook them up to standard 3 pin connectors or molex.

Pinout here and another thread I found discussing a similar problem here.

Theres 4 wires Blue, Black, Red and White. The fan will run if red and black are connected to 12v and Ground respectively, but very loud. It wont run on at all on 5v, is there some way to make it run but at a reasonable RPM.

The fan is rated at 12v 2.3A, does this mean it wont run on anything lower than 12v? the other thread mentions 1.5a being high and using resistors to lower the power or grounding to 5v, never heard of doing that, it sounds unconventional.

any advice welcome

1) Yellow - Seems to be the RPM sensor
2) Red - 12v
3) Black - Ground
4) Blue - "Speed"

It seems that, from the sheet, the blue wire is for the PWM controller on the fan. Assuming it is a standard fan (Delta, Panaflo, etc), you should be able to plug it into any 4 pin fan header, assuming you get the pinout right. That would allow you to slow the fan down.

Are you trying to put this into a normal case or just trying to figure the pinout for the system? You could run it between the 5v and 12v to make 7v, but some power supplies really do not like the 5v going "backwards".

Hello again Thideras

I want to hook them up as standard case fans, I'll try this tomorrow and report back.

If I can get them hooked up to the mobo successfully, is there software I can use to adjust the fans manually, speedfan maybe?

At what level would the mobo run the fans at as standard? would it be based on the temperature probe associated with that area of the motherboard where the fan header is located?

Otherwise I'll be buying a fan controller.

thanks

2.3 Amps, you'll have to use the 12vdc power from a PSU molex and then PWM the speed off a controller or mobo. 2.3 amps is a lot of power for a mobo or fan controller to handle.

Is there a PWM fan controller that can handle 2.3 amps per channel? 30 watts would be enough just barely right? Don't know of any PWM controllers that have 30 watts per channel though.

Hello again Thideras
*waves*

I want to hook them up as standard case fans, I'll try this tomorrow and report back.

If I can get them hooked up to the mobo successfully, is there software I can use to adjust the fans manually, speedfan maybe?

At what level would the mobo run the fans at as standard? would it be based on the temperature probe associated with that area of the motherboard where the fan header is located?
This would depend entirely on the motherboard itself. Most allow you to control a fan based off of "some temperature" (which changes from board to board). As Conumdrum said above, 2.3A is too much power to pull through a motherboard safely. So, that leaves you with two options.

Split the destination/source of the wires. What I mean by this is run the 12v/ground to a normal molex connector on the power supply and run the RPM/PWM pins to a header on the motherboard. This allows you to keep RPM sensing and PWM control of the fan with absolutely no ill effects to the motherboard. You can't overdraw the header if you don't have it plugged in. This is the cheapest option if you have the tools/pins/wires to make the cable yourself.

Otherwise I'll be buying a fan controller.

thanks
The other option is to clip the PWM wire and just get a fan contoller. This is the "easiest" option and has the least number of cables.

Back