• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rumor: Valve MIGHT be finishing Duke Nukem Forever

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The slight difference here is that it is Valve that has created the rumour rather than 3D Realms.

Valve hasn't created this rumor. Some guy did, and it's very questionable if this is legit or not. So far, a lot of conclusions have been made that the picture has been photoshopped.

Somehow I dont see Valve touching DNF with a ten foot pole. It's been the laughing stock of the gaming industry for years and is the definition of vaporware. They would be taking quite a risk trying to churn a decent game out of the years of horrible press around the "game".

That having been said, I'd love to see what Valve could do with the Duke franchise, I'm sure they could find the gem buried in that pile of crap that was DNF.

Somehow I dont see Valve touching DNF with a ten foot pole. It's been the laughing stock of the gaming industry for years and is the definition of vaporware. They would be taking quite a risk trying to churn a decent game out of the years of horrible press around the "game".

That having been said, I'd love to see what Valve could do with the Duke franchise, I'm sure they could find the gem buried in that pile of crap that was DNF.

Your post made me think for a moment. While it's true that DNF has become such a long running joke in the industry, it has also become a well-known joke for gamers everywhere. Development originally began in 1997. Gamers who played the previous incarnations of Duke Nukem continue to have fond memories of the franchise. To this day, there are gamers that state with no uncertain terms that they would purchase DNF if it would ever come to reality--and their desire to purchase DNF increases with the amount of time that has gone by. The lure of purchasing a game "15 years in the making" would prove to be a powerful motivation even if the game ends up sucking just so players could claim the 'honor' of having DNF in their possession.

I believe that if a good development house could secure the rights to Duke and would take the time (the longer, the better?) to do a reasonable job with the title, I think they would have a winner on its hands.

When I first saw the one pic, I immediately thought of Freeman, not Duke Nukem..

zss3g4.png

But it could be that I wasn't a huge Nukem Fan, even though I loved the N64 version :p

Umm do you see the shades with the Military cut?

Thats the duke!

On the one hand, its the Duke, and who wouldnt rush out to buy that game. On the other hand, if it did come out, the thing it would remind me of most is Gun's n Rose's Chinese Democracy, and that just scares me, and makes me a little sad.

Well, it is Duke for sure. See the old teaser trailer from 2007 and you can tell it's one of the frames towards the end. Made an approximate screenshot (probably not this exact frame but close):

http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/9839/dnfteaser.jpg

Some more info about this on another site:

http://www.steamfriends.com/news/5015/valve-release-duke-nukem-forever

Valve is supposedly planning something with Duke Nukem, maybe not exactly finishing DNF, but something. Considering much of DNF was finished, it would be a complete waste to do nothing at all with the content.

Information from sources within the company hint at some of those plans. "I know there's a plan to create a crossover game with our main franchises. AVP was a big hit for Sierra, and I'm sure people would love to see Duke Nukem joining forces with Gordon Freeman," said a Valve employee, who did not wish to be named.

I don't put any faith in anonymous sources, but I would be totally UNinterested in the above. I want a stand-alone Duke game--not a 'crossover.' I can't think of a lamer idea.

I don't put any faith in anonymous sources, but I would be totally UNinterested in the above. I want a stand-alone Duke game--not a 'crossover.' I can't think of a lamer idea.

I can see a little amusement in it. The silent, serious MIT graduate meets the loud mouth wise *** generic action hero. If they do a small spinoff game or maybe an expantion to a game already out and sell it in the $20 or under range, I'd get it simply for the LOL value.

(Don't know how I think the Freeman can be both silent and serious at the same time)

Back