• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[O/C] To ES or not to ES? That is the HWBOT question...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you can shoot over some contact info for the guys at hwbot (via PM or email), we'd be glad to check it out. Our report was certainly not inaccurate, but of course there are angles we did not cover. One of my goals as editor is to not leave any stone unturned. So if you have contact info for those guys, we can have somebody write a follow-up article. It's a good suggestion, I was just put off by your initial methods of presenting it.

Thanks!
:)

Matt

Actually, contacting massman or rb is just like contacting a user here....

Attachments

• hwbot crew.jpg
    hwbot crew.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 178
See above rdrash, talking to them before publishing this article would have been poisoning the well in my opinion... It's best to start from an impartial point presenting the issue. :rolleyes:

What more would I have gotten from them considering this post from 2 days ago from Massman? I will admit I was waffling about getting some info from them, however seeing this post below and knowing how busy admins are, as well as the high level approach taken for the article, I didnt deem it quite as necessary as you rdrash....

massman said:
I think this step is inevitable and much needed. First design plans have been made already (oldest document on hwbot is from Jan '10), but it has proven to be a gigantic problem as many people have to agree

- the pros
- the non-pros
- the manufacturers
- the hwbot coder

Just to give you an example: it's a common wish to not have the sponsored guys affect the normal guys in the rankings. Now, if the pros are moved to a seperate category, the HWBOINTS algorithm is no longer applicable in the PRO league (as it's design for 1000+ submissions). In addition, moving to the pro category will also mean that you lose all the points you have in the normal category, which will heavily affect your team's total.

Another grave problem is how to define pro (is getting one free motherboard equal to being pro?) and how to enforce this (how can we know you have a free board?).
Source - http://hwbot.org/forum/showpost.php?p=59205&postcount=2

That post is 2 days old, FYI.

Yeah, this has been going on for along time.

The last really big blow up was in May last year, when there were article's and forum threads about how Intel was binning 1000 i975's super cherry chips.
Some of these threads were taken down if I re-call as they got out of hand, but most will still be up and wouldn't be hard to find.

Think it was back in August that a well known overclocker did an interview on Bright Side Of News (should be easy to find) most of it was about his new team, but in it he talks about es vs retail, and even about a professional competition.

And the thread we are talking about on hwbot, first post is from back in February.

But it goes back before all of that.

It's just not as easy as some make out, as they say "the devil is in the details"

Back