• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Yay waterchiller!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NoL

Well; who likes water chillers? :eek:
So I was sitting in the workshop, I'm cranking out on ECI 33+ the big 3 stager and decided I might as well work on some other projects too. I mean I've got a 3 stager to work on, and almost done with two single stage units, but who doesn't still have some free time? :kookoo:

I'll simply point out that this has no owner and could be yours ;)

So a liquid unit.

Specifications:

1/5hp high displacement compressor; 4.5cc low temp low back pressure.
CPEV; for adjustability
Cube condenser, with Drewmeister shroud, and 24-48V sunon fan and Meanwell powersupply
Dual H-50 Refrigeration Research Heat exchangers
Filter drier and misc electronics

Parts pictures:

downsized0609002155.jpg

For anyone watching the time; planning out something like this can be complex.
Or it can be drawn on a napkin. And then immediately done.
For everyone that has ever met me at an OC event; they'll know diagramming on napkins is rather the norm at the after party.

Measured out piping and brazed up the heat exchangers.

0609002224.jpg

0609002243.jpg

This is a small chiller, thus the noise level should be relatively very low. Even without a case.
Power should be under 300W as again, small compressor.
Most likely not able to cool that size load, that's huge almost 800W or so. That would require a much larger chilling unit.

Thats too bad, was hoping for a miriacle. Ahh well, looks neat tho.

Don't want to go huge unfortunately. Saw a 1hp aquarium chiller for $1000, and a custom one wouldn't be cheap either. All I want to do is move my heat to somewhere else besides my PC room. Summer in Vegas is hot. I don't overclock, so no need for uber temps. I'm so lame.

Well if you only want 10C to -10C that's not so bad. Don't need anywhere near that big of a compressor and wont' be more then $600-700.

Hmm. So my setup in my sig (83F ambients) on ONE loop, putting TWO DDC3.2 to compensate for a 20-25' total tubing loop. The cooler would be in another room. The wife uses it as a hobby room now and then. Might get a bigger pump, AC kind. Need room for it. What size of compressor we talking about? 1 HP? And watts draw too, volts ain't cheap in Vegas. I can live with the heat if costs get silly.

When the infrequent visitor visits to sleep on the day bed would the noise be obtrusive? I can turn the fans on the rads on then, leaving the rads in the loop I guess still in my PC/man room.

You got my interest. Yea want to stay with water temps close to ambient, so good temp control is important. Low noise in the second room is a bonus.

So I don't need a huge compressor, but might need a bigger exchanger to keep the fan noise down.

Lets keep talking, not worried about the $ right now. Would have to be covered and the extra sound dampening in the MDF wood box etc.

When it's all done or you got a plan we can move to PM or email etc. Don't want to break no rulz.

Back