• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI Afterburner voltage adjustment question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mbbray

Registered
I tried to overclock my HIS hd 5850 last night.

I can't increase the voltages in MSI afterburner (I did find the option to unlock core voltage, but after I restarted the program, I still could not change the voltage.

Any ideas?

Poke a mod to delete the other thread :thup:

If you can't increase the voltage then there's 1 of 2 things wrong. Either you're using a bad driver which doesn't allow you to change the voltage or the BIOS on the card is stopping it from working.

If it's the latter then hopefully someone can give you instructions into what to do next :)

Are you sure the HIS can be controlled by voltage?? I recall only Asus or reference cards being able to, but I could just be xrazy.

Do you have version 1.5 Beta 5 or greater?

Try this:
Try going into MSIafterburner.cfg file and change unnofficialoverclocking from 0 to 1. I didnt have to do this with mine but I did have to do this with my 5870 worth a try!

All brand name reference cards work with MSI's afterburner tool, you also need to enable "voltage control" under setting, by default it is disabled.

more than likely the problem is that most of the newer cards arent reference design, and therefore arent seen properly by the software to adjust volts. I purchased a new xfx5870 with the same issue. Luckily the card was advertised as 875/5200 clock settings and was a stock card so I had grounds to return. I ended up buying one from one of our benchteam guru's and it over-volts just fine (thanks Icebob).

Hey thanks for the responses.

I did enable the voltage control under settings, but it was still grayed out (even after I restarted it like it says).

I am having stability issues even at slight overclocks. (CPU core = 750, Memory = 1100). I think it might be related to PCH voltage. Its currenly set at 1.050. The stock voltage on the HD 5850 is 1.088

Should I increase PCH to 1.15 or 1.2?

Earthdog, I'm going to try that when I get home and I just downloaded the latest version of MSI afterburner last night.

I don't think I have a reference design hd 5850 either...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...1330&cm_re=hd_5850_his-_-14-161-330-_-Product

Last edited:
download amd gpu tool, it will give you some rudimentary voltage action. and let you work with clocks and fan also.

I was using AMD GPU tool last night to change the core clock and memory, and was changing the fan speed curves and trying to change the voltage using MSI afterburner.

AMD GPU tool only had 4 voltage selections avaiable, and they were lower than the stock voltage.

Could this be caused by the non-reference GPU issue? Does AMD GPU tool usually allow voltage increaes?

try to speed up the card in ccc some and then see if it gives different voltages in amd gpu tool

I am also having this problem

I have the Gigabyte 6850 1gb

I need to adjust the voltage to get it to go above 875mhz, I know that these cards can go faster then that, have seen people with them running stable at 975/1150 but anything past that causes it to crash so I assume I dont have enough voltage

You should try this one: it worked for me.
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=338906
"We're receiving emails on how to enable additional overclockability for AMD cards (if supported) in MSI afterBurner.

To enable the unofficial overclocking in this version it is necessary to edit the MSIAfterburner.cfg file located in the installation directory of AfterBurner (typically Program Files (x86) MSI Afterburner):

You need to alter the following:

Seek UnofficialOverclockingEULA field and add following text:

I confirm that I am aware of unofficial overclocking limitations and fully understand that MSI will not provide me any support on it
Set UnofficialOverclockingMode to 1 to keep PowerPlay active (may not work on old ASICs), 2 to traditionally disable PowerPlay or to 0 to temporary disable unofficial overclocking path

Using the unofficial overclock method opens up more freedom in terms of voltages and clock ranges, it however also can open a can of worms in terms of stability or weird issues.

Unofficial means unsupported -- we grant some extra tweak options to fool around with, but in no way, manner or fashion is it supported by Guru3D.com or MSI.

So asking questions about it in the forums .. is a no-go. Regardless, have fun with this feature and be careful to not push the card over its limitations."

COURTEOUSLY OF GURU3D!!

nope I cant adjust the voltage using that either

like I said I have the same card as the review so why would this work in the review but not my card, could there have been a ccc update that flashed the bios and blocked this after the review was written?

Back