• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSP has turned into paper weight. HELP!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Younglin

The volume down button is stuck down which makes this psp useless to me. I got it from a friend to watch movies and listen to music so if the volume doesn't work it's nothing more than a paper weight to me. Help?

Pictures? I could probably help you more via IM or Pm. I have a silver 2000 that is haxed with 5.50 Gen D3 (not selling), but I am pretty handy with them.

Pictures? I could probably help you more via IM or Pm. I have a silver 2000 that is haxed with 5.50 Gen D3 (not selling), but I am pretty handy with them.

It's just that the volume down button is stuck. Pictures won't help because it looks fine.

Wrong forum (Belongs in console gaming.)

And it's also a bit of an exaggeration.

Your PSP is FAR from a paperweight if the only problem you have is a little button is stuck.

Like twig said... all you have to do is take it apart and put it together again.

And all that requires is.... a screwdriver.

There are much, much, much MUCH worse things that can happen to your PSP.

Wrong forum (Belongs in console gaming.)

And it's also a bit of an exaggeration.

Your PSP is FAR from a paperweight if the only problem you have is a little button is stuck.

Like twig said... all you have to do is take it apart and put it together again.

And all that requires is.... a screwdriver.

There are much, much, much MUCH worse things that can happen to your PSP.

Lol, like being bricked for months. XD

But to the OP, has this been worked out?

Take it apart and put it back together. Something inside is just stuck.

Tried but it didn't help.

Well it is for me. I can't use it for browsing because when I try to open any text ( like for connecting to my network) it gets an error because the volume button is stuck. So I can't watch movies, listen to music or browse. And I hate playing games with no sound.

And no the issue hasn't been resolved. =[

Exactly what did you do when you took it apart? Was the entire faceplate off? Because once you get down to the button, make sure it still "cycles" and works before putting the faceplate back on. Another thing, the faceplate button may be stuck down also.

Did you happen to turn it on while it was apart to check if you fixed anything? Like I mentioned above, it could be the plastic cover/case is stuck.

I took it completely apart and pressed both volume buttons to try and loosen it but it didn't help.

Wuh... You pressed... Bo...

How is pressing the buttons supposed to "loosen it"?

Here's what you do: You take it apart, you turn it on... and if the button is JAMMED... you unjam it.

You don't PRESS it... because that's not going to do anything.

If something spilled in there you'll have to clean it.

If it happened to be an oil... you'll have to clean under the pad with an alcohol cotton swab.

When I say your PSP isn't "a paperweight" I only mean that you're exagerating.

A psp that won't even power on is a paperweight. Or a PSP where the screen, memory stick reader, and battery compartment are dead is a paper weight.

But a PSP with a button stuck?

Not a paper weight.

Take it apart again and this time don't put it back together until you fix it.

Yes.

I took the whole button strip out of the psp and tried everything to loosen it. There is nothing in the psp, it's just stuck.

This is not enough information.

What is stuck? This the rubber strip under the button stuck? Is the plastic button itself stuck?

What's stuck?

And why weren't you able to unstick it?

I took it apart and tried to press the button itself. It didn't help. No rubber or plastic in the way. Completely apart. Turned it on and tried to turn up the volume and it didn't work. Tried pushing the volume down button from the top and bottom and it didn't help.

I took it apart and tried to press the button itself. It didn't help. No rubber or plastic in the way. Completely apart. Turned it on and tried to turn up the volume and it didn't work. Tried pushing the volume down button from the top and bottom and it didn't help.

Okay. So the button itself isn't stuck. Just the function is stuck?

So if the button isn't stuck then it sounds like something got on the board.

Try removing the rubber strip and then running over it a few times with a cotton swab with a little alcohol on it.

I had to do this once when my uncle got oil all over his PS2 motherboard and it wouldn't turn on.

A little alcohol... worked like a charm. (Now your PSP has to be off and battery removed.)

Back