• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI 870A-G54

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Most people would think 1.35v is too high. I like to stick to the stock 1.175-1.25v range but many people have pumped it up to 1.30v.

See, that's what's got me about that board - the stock range starts at 1.175v so how can that be red??? Worse yet, the default it's using is waaaay under-volted ... :screwy: LOL!

exactly what i was thinking, which is why i thought the ht voltage because it's the voltage thats closest @ default to the default cpu/nb voltage

the other thing i was thinking was about the bios, you know how if you highlight a setting in the bios and it gives you a little info about the setting? well on the voltages, 1 or 2 voltages say something about GREY is default, YELLOW is high performance, and RED is not recommended- well the two voltages that have a yellow setting say nothing about YELLOW=high performance, and the the one/s that say something about a high performance setting have no yellow voltage. that just makes it even more confusing to me

but let's just say that it's labeled wrong, and cpunb voltage is actually the voltage labeled ht voltage. if thats the case, then there is no other voltage that defaults close enough to the default ht voltage. so something clearly isn't right. what do you think? i was really hoping for a website to review this board, that way they could say what is right if it is labeled wrong, or maybe they just set the wrong voltage range for safe and unsafe voltages. Until then, i think i'm gonna just load optimal defaults, unless i figure this thing out beforehand!

Most people would think 1.35v is too high. I like to stick to the stock 1.175-1.25v range but many people have pumped it up to 1.30v.

See, that's what's got me about that board - the stock range starts at 1.175v so how can that be red??? Worse yet, the default it's using is waaaay under-volted ... :screwy: LOL!

the only reason i set it that high was because this board increases the amount each "step" up in voltage is. all the voltages are that way, cpu voltage starts at 1.403v and goes up .001v each step until 1.425v then it goes to 1.435 then 1.445 then it jumps higher fast. i read that some people need 1.35v for 2800mhz nb stable, so i quickly tested it for 5 loops of intel burn test and it failed right away. I also read somewhere that some boards can do 2600nb on auto, which started me thinking maybe i could be adjusting the wrong voltage, and since the default cpunb voltage if set manually is RED and considered unsafe, and that just enforced my feeling.

any idea why realtek audio will error saying i just unplugged a cable when overclocking even a little bit? motherboards default AUTO SB Voltage=1.095 max=1.425v turnd [email protected]
what is default? i read 1.26v but that doesn't help. and tried from 1.095v - just before 1.293v and it still does it, sometimes when @ idle and I loaded optimized defaults in the bios before doing anything, but also tried failsafe deaults just for the heck of it but the problem remains.

was thinking about my antec 902s front panel audio connector is a 2-in-1 with ac'97 + hd audio connectors. Do you think if i used the wrong connector on the cable that it could cause it to do that? I have it connected to the correct audio port on the mobo but with the HD connector, should i try swapping connectors, or would that fry the board?

I think for now I'd disconnect all that until I got more information. I don't know much at all about audio connectors - I've always used the speaker jacks (or pre-amp out when computers had those) and for the last four years I've been using an X-Fi (and will probably be running it for another four years) ... ;)

well, after a little googling, i found out that its more likely a case problem than a motherboard problem. it boils down to the front audio connectors wires on the ANTEC 902 not being magnetically shielded and EMI was causing the problem, so I did as you said and unplugged it and all is good now! Thanks again for what is always good advice!

MSI 870A-G54 board over clocks well! I am using it with a Phenom II x6 1055 and have experienced no problem taking it to 3.6 ghz. I will try higher when a bios is released to turn off turbocore.

thanks guys. alairellis23, how are the voltages setup on the board, are they labeled right? meaning is cpu-nb the actual cpu-nb voltage, nb voltage=nb chipset voltage, ht link voltage=ht voltage. also, have you figured out why ht link + nb chipset voltages are linked? if the voltages aren't labeled right, what voltage is for what? my cpu-nb voltage defaults/auto @ 1.112v and goes red@ 1.14v, why red so low if that is actually the cpu/nb voltage? i can honestly say i'm 95% sure of which is which, but to be honest- that leaves 5% in which I could be completely off base. i mean why would the bottom 2 voltages be linked to where changing 1 effects the other. you're the first person i've met with this board, and I'm fairly new with AMD, so I'd rather risk sounding stupid and ask what seems to be a dumb question, than assume i'm right and fry another mobo/processor. can't afford to rebuild again. ANY info would go a long way. also ALAIRELLIS23, although we have different processors, I was wondering what you have your processor @ for voltages, cpu + mem clock, and timings? that way i can see if i'm WAY off base, or close to what you have.

currently I'm @ 18.5x200= 3700 MHZ, 2600 nb, 1800 ht, 1333 ram 7-7-7-21, auto for cpu voltage, 1.502v ram, 1.27 sb (labeled sb voltage) 1.248v cpu-nb labeled voltage, and 1.2/1.3v for the linked nb and ht link voltages (labeled nb voltage, and ht link voltage)

does that sound right?

voltage layout is like this:

cpu voltage:
cpu-nb voltage:
memory voltage:
sb voltage:
nb voltage:
+ > these 2 are linked, can't change 1 without the other
ht link voltage:

Last edited:
I'm having the same problem with my msi 870a-g54. I can change the voltages under the bios but cpuz, hwmonitor, etc are reporting unchanged voltages. Op could you please expand on how you resolved your issue thanks!

Back