• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ok, I got the EVGA P55 FTW installed.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brutal-Force

Thanks to Edmund "Brolloks" (Thats also my middle name by the way) I installed the EVGA P55 FTW and I am going to monitor it for a few days. Hopefully, *crosses fingers* nothing will happen and my SLI will be happy.

The board is beautiful. It has mad heatsinks on the chipsets, much larger than the Asus MIIIF. I will be putting it in the mail to you tomorrow Ed.

The bios are a little tricky for me at first glance because they slightly resemble Asus bios, but look completely different than Gigabyte bios.

After a few days, provided no Video Crapping out, I will see what this puppy will do.

good luck with it, they are nice boards, but many of the settings will be named different than some of the other bioses. That is pretty common in the mobo world. When you are ready there are plenty of peeps that have used that same board. So if you do need help with settings you will get it, of that I am sure

Good to hear you got it Chester, ask nzaned for any tips or tweaks on that board, he is the resident expert :)

Thanks to Edmund "Brolloks" (Thats also my middle name by the way) I installed the EVGA P55 FTW and I am going to monitor it for a few days. Hopefully, *crosses fingers* nothing will happen and my SLI will be happy.

The board is beautiful. It has mad heatsinks on the chipsets, much larger than the Asus MIIIF. I will be putting it in the mail to you tomorrow Ed.

The bios are a little tricky for me at first glance because they slightly resemble Asus bios, but look completely different than Gigabyte bios.

After a few days, provided no Video Crapping out, I will see what this puppy will do.
Why are they angry? Does it make the board run better if you yell at the heatsinks and make them angry? never thought of it, but ok...

Well it happened again, Lost signal from Video card, Fan went to high and then computer rebooted. Same faults in Event viewer.

Only thing left to change now is the Processor. I am so sad.

Yeah, that would be appreciated. I think thats all I have left to test. If that doesn't fix it then I haven't got any more ideas.

I am so disgusted right now.... :(

I have two Cards in SLI. I have tried with one of each card.

I also have an 8400 GS I could try.

First things first. Turned down RAM to 1200MHz. Going to monitor and see if still happens.

The deeper and deeper I get into this the more its looking like a Win7/GTX200 series Incompatibility.

If turning down the RAM doesn't work, then I am going to try running in WinXP for a couple of days.

Last edited:
Ok, before I start sticking in a different card. I removed all drivers and rolled back to a driver that is Pre-all these problems. Like 191.07. I also underclocked my RAM to 2:6.

Gonna give this a whirl. If it crashes again, then I am going to remove both GTX 260s and install the 8400GS.

If that fails, I guess I will try a different processor.

And if that doesn' work, I will have to give an ATI card a go.

I sent the board out priority w/confirmation. Slip is in the car, I will post it to you in pm later tonight Ed.

I can safely say it shouldnt be an issue with GTX200 and W7. I was rocking that setup for quite a while.

Damn. Perplexing.

The issue didn't start until March. Still working on it. It really Isaac mystery.

I upgraded the PSU from a 650W Corsair to a 850W Corsair.

Temps on the cards both in the 40s when this happens. (it is really random).

Nzaneb, if you still have the I/O plate for this, It would be greatly appreciated. :)

I upgraded the PSU from a 650W Corsair to a 850W Corsair.

Temps on the cards both in the 40s when this happens. (it is really random).

Nzaneb, if you still have the I/O plate for this, It would be greatly appreciated. :)

What changed in March, before this happened? Did you inspect the contact patches on the CPU when you switched boards? I'd throw the 8400gs in there for a quick confirmation that it's not the GPU's.

Second Path :D

In march is when pretty much everything was upgraded. So its hard to pin it to a specific event. I am a mechanic by trade, so I work methodically, but I hadn't had any luck.

Currently I have my RAM turned down to 1200MHz, and a Pre-January Nvidia Driver.

So far, no crashes/black screens. So either I have a weak IMC or there is some sort of Nvidia Driver compatability (I am leaning towards the IMC).

If the problem doesn't show up in a week, I will turn the RAM back up then we will go from there.

What BIOS are you running? With one of the most recent (sorry, forgot which), mine didn't jump out of the OS like that, but if pushing RAM with too little VTT, it would hang at POST at post code b8, the GPU fan would spin up to full, drop back down & repeat, continually restarting itself until I turned it off & reset CMOS.

The IMC wasn't happy with the VTT it was being fed (too low). Raised it a hair and it went back to normal. Doubt it's the same thing, but your video card fan spinning up is what brought up the memory.

So far so good. I have RAM set to DRAM Frequency 587 (1177) MHz at a 2:6 Divider. Timing is 6-6-6-19-88-1T at the moment. No reboots.

I have a hunch that Intel's numbers are for 1333 and below and that they don't even consider higher speed memory. Yes, I know there are plenty of people out there running it with higher speeds, but they are also tons of people out there running with a lot higher Vtt. Bandwidth wise, it doesn't even make sense for Joe Computer-user to even use anything above 1333MHz.

Well anyways, I am gonna keep running at these speeds for a week. If I get no reboots, I will move up to 2:8 Multis then loosen the timings, see what I end up getting.

Back