Now 6GHz or Bust!

2 new gpu water block, serial or parallel connection//

Just got in 2 water blocks for my GTX 470 but I am not sure if serial or parallel connection is the best way. Do I use 2x sli fitting and make it parallel, or just 1 and make it serial/
    space for rent

Wants Old Title Back
    Didn't Get It
    Mine is series, both cards are close to the same temp. Tests show little diff between series or parellel. Series is cheaper, only need one SLI water fitting.

I want my old title back.
    Old beast is torn down.
    Will update later.

900 watt (1500VA) UPS
    27" ASUS VG 3D/Nvidia V2 3D glasses and 24" Acer H243H

for GPU ALWAYS go series. of all the systems i have built only one didnt follow that rule and it was a highly specialized system
    697+ water coolled systems built , 0 leaks

Quote Originally Posted by thorilan View Post
    for GPU ALWAYS go series. of all the systems i have built only one didnt follow that rule and it was a highly specialized system
    i'm all for series all the time, but why would it be bad for two of the same gpu blocks since it would be easier to control resistances?
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Wants Old Title Back
    Didn't Get It
    Agreed Spawn.

Just ran Unigine Heaven for 35 min on my sig cards. In series. SLI.

Room temp 80F. Vegas baybeee!

45 card one/46 card two

The Koolance blocks have micro channels for the GPU area. NOT like a CPU though. A GPU has linear flow across the areas, not like you need on a CPU, where inpingment and turbulence is king.

I believe in a CPU/GPU/Mobo setup any help in flow rates is good, so maybe parellel will help a bit with flow rates. I don't have that problem.

Seen 2-3 run a test, made little diff, because GPU blocks don't use impingment.
    Old beast is torn down.
    Will update later.

900 watt (1500VA) UPS

Now 6GHz or Bust!
    ok serial it is. I just got one question: how do the guys who has water blocks and sli/crossfire fitting handle putting 3 or even 4 cards in the system? It seems reinstalling 2 video cards with the fitting would be a challenge, especially with a touchy tool-less pci mounting on some cases like my k62. My case gives me a hard time mounting a dual slot video card, putting 2 cards with 4 slots total would require some luck.
    space for rent

Registered
    Hey there,

Gabe from Swiftech did a flow test but came up with some interesting results on parallel vs serial in a CPU+GPU loop. Granted that he measured the difference on the *CPU* temp, it's still worth a read nonetheless.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=253337

Wes
    Core i7 920 @4.31ghz (HK3.0+MCR320Drive) [DT Air/CPU @ 13c idle, 45c IBT]
    MSI GTX 295 Single PCB with EK 295 + MCR320 Drive + 1450rpmGT [DT Air/CPU @ 10c idle]
    Asus R3E . Corsair TX850 . OCZ 12Gb 1333mhz RAM

Wants Old Title Back
    Didn't Get It
    Yea, he did pretty well. Basically trying to show flow rate isn't everything and a loop can handle lower flow rates, especially his block. It helps with his higher restriction Apogee XT block he sells.

But a good informative read nothingless.
    Old beast is torn down.
    Will update later.

900 watt (1500VA) UPS

Quote Originally Posted by gabe @ swiftech
    Finally, note 3 is of particular interest within the framework of this study, because it shows that even at the GPU level, a parallel setup with modern blocks such as those presented here remains a superior solution to serial, as evidenced by a 0.6C advantage of parallel over serial.
    I've always preferred the idea of a parallel configuration, and if I was going to build a loop with multiple cards, I would use parallel.....but it's still nice my preference confirmed with some imperical data.

Another consideration is asthetics, and I like the look of a parallel setup better as well....but each to his own

have you ever tried to parrallel gpu blocks in a normal case. it adds a lot of tubing and airflow resistance for the rest of the case. its a huge headache and since GPU temps arnt critical controlling individual flux is not important. also draw is rarely even in any parrallel loop no matter how hard we try.
    697+ water coolled systems built , 0 leaks

Quote Originally Posted by 4GHZ_or_bust View Post
    ok serial it is. I just got one question: how do the guys who has water blocks and sli/crossfire fitting handle putting 3 or even 4 cards in the system? It seems reinstalling 2 video cards with the fitting would be a challenge, especially with a touchy tool-less pci mounting on some cases like my k62. My case gives me a hard time mounting a dual slot video card, putting 2 cards with 4 slots total would require some luck.
    curious about that myself. I would imagine you connect the blocks to the cards, then connect the cards to each other. you would have to have them sitting on edge on a paper towel or something, then connect them. then very slowly move it to the mobo? I am not sure how much vertical give the cards have when in the slot but i would be leery of adjusting it like that once it is in there.
    -ASUS Maximus II Formula LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel -SAPPHIRE 100251SR Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB 512-bit
    -Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz LGA 775,
    -mushkin 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
    Feser triple Rad, Feser dual rad, 5 Noctua fans, 2xSwiftech MCP655, - MCRES-Micro res., MCW-NBMAX(northbridge),Danger Den MPC-CPU - 775 Quad Core Block,DD-4870-X2, DD Aqua Bay
    The Build

Wants Old Title Back
    Didn't Get It
    A 4x card setup? Well all the cards are connected with water tubes already. You can put a small allthread through all 4 cards, using the old screw holes from the stock cooling to hold them in a solid block till installed?

I only have two and the SLI connector is solid, so it stays together pretty well.
    Old beast is torn down.
    Will update later.

900 watt (1500VA) UPS