• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 new gpu water block, serial or parallel connection//

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

4GHZ_or_bust

Now 6GHz or Bust!
Just got in 2 water blocks for my GTX 470 but I am not sure if serial or parallel connection is the best way. Do I use 2x sli fitting and make it parallel, or just 1 and make it serial/

for GPU ALWAYS go series. of all the systems i have built only one didnt follow that rule and it was a highly specialized system

i'm all for series all the time, but why would it be bad for two of the same gpu blocks since it would be easier to control resistances?

Agreed Spawn.

Just ran Unigine Heaven for 35 min on my sig cards. In series. SLI.

Room temp 80F. Vegas baybeee!

45 card one/46 card two

The Koolance blocks have micro channels for the GPU area. NOT like a CPU though. A GPU has linear flow across the areas, not like you need on a CPU, where inpingment and turbulence is king.

I believe in a CPU/GPU/Mobo setup any help in flow rates is good, so maybe parellel will help a bit with flow rates. I don't have that problem.

Seen 2-3 run a test, made little diff, because GPU blocks don't use impingment.

ok serial it is. I just got one question: how do the guys who has water blocks and sli/crossfire fitting handle putting 3 or even 4 cards in the system? It seems reinstalling 2 video cards with the fitting would be a challenge, especially with a touchy tool-less pci mounting on some cases like my k62. My case gives me a hard time mounting a dual slot video card, putting 2 cards with 4 slots total would require some luck.

Yea, he did pretty well. Basically trying to show flow rate isn't everything and a loop can handle lower flow rates, especially his block. It helps with his higher restriction Apogee XT block he sells.

But a good informative read nothingless.

gabe @ swiftech said:
Finally, note 3 is of particular interest within the framework of this study, because it shows that even at the GPU level, a parallel setup with modern blocks such as those presented here remains a superior solution to serial, as evidenced by a 0.6°C advantage of parallel over serial.

I've always preferred the idea of a parallel configuration, and if I was going to build a loop with multiple cards, I would use parallel.....but it's still nice my preference confirmed with some imperical data.

Another consideration is asthetics, and I like the look of a parallel setup better as well....but each to his own ;)

have you ever tried to parrallel gpu blocks in a normal case. it adds a lot of tubing and airflow resistance for the rest of the case. its a huge headache and since GPU temps arnt critical controlling individual flux is not important. also draw is rarely even in any parrallel loop no matter how hard we try.

ok serial it is. I just got one question: how do the guys who has water blocks and sli/crossfire fitting handle putting 3 or even 4 cards in the system? It seems reinstalling 2 video cards with the fitting would be a challenge, especially with a touchy tool-less pci mounting on some cases like my k62. My case gives me a hard time mounting a dual slot video card, putting 2 cards with 4 slots total would require some luck.
curious about that myself. I would imagine you connect the blocks to the cards, then connect the cards to each other. you would have to have them sitting on edge on a paper towel or something, then connect them. then very slowly move it to the mobo? I am not sure how much vertical give the cards have when in the slot but i would be leery of adjusting it like that once it is in there.

A 4x card setup? Well all the cards are connected with water tubes already. You can put a small allthread through all 4 cards, using the old screw holes from the stock cooling to hold them in a solid block till installed?

I only have two and the SLI connector is solid, so it stays together pretty well.

Back