• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Passive Heatsink.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

the_cultie

I'm building a HTPC and I want to use a passive heatsink to keep the noise. down. The specs are as follows:

Antec Fusion Remote Max (Link)
AMD Athlon II X4 635
Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
4GB (2x2GB) G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600MHz
LG bluray reader
Kingston SSDNow V+ 64GB

The case has a 120mm fan at the rear and at the side has a 140mm fan so I'm looking on your recommendation before I order a heatsink.

you're probably better off getting an active cooler and a really quiet fan (Scythe gentle typhoon, sharkoon goofball, yate loons). you probably won't hear one of those over your other 2 fans, even if you undervolt them.

Last edited:
I shouldn't be constrained too much, the case is larger than the normal HTPC cases, it takes full ATX mobo etc. I was having a look round and I found this. Thermalright HR-01 4U heatsink which will fit. I know there is also the full sized HR-01 PLUS which has 6 heatpipes but I wont know if it fits until the case arrives. Has anyone had any experience with the HR-01?

Back