• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

usb 3.0 flash drive and ready boost

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

goatzool

As I understand it, Windows 7 allows larger amounts of USB flash memory to be used as a supplement to HDD page files through ready boost than Vista. People not using SSD's reported improved performance with USB 2.0 drives enhanced for readyboost. now there are a handful of USB 3.0 flash drives available at exorbitant prices (16Gb, $60) My new build (not yet shown in sig) has usb 3.0 onboard and 4 Gb of RAM (DDR3 1600). Has anyone tried to combine readyboost with a USB 3.0 flash drive from supertalent or pqi? I would guess that performance is affected by both access time and transfer rates, and maybe usb 3.0 is only better at transfers. But I don't know, so I'm asking.:confused:

In theory it takes RAIDed SSDs to keep up with USB 3.0, so i'd think that it would work pretty well.

Doesn't do crap for any computers i've ever used it on though. I figure you can get a 4GB USB stick for $25, or get a GB of RAM for the same price.

I would say more RAM/ Save for an SSF would be a better investment than a USB for readyboost. It generally only helps if you haven't got enough to run applications, and the first reviews with USB 2.0 only showed a worthwhile improvement with 1GB or under of RAM, so seems pretty useless to me.

So I saw this thread while googling for 3.0 USB Flash Drives. Thought i'd throw in my 2 cents.

First off, Readyboost sucks. ;) but If done right can actually "really" boost performance.

What I use myself, is a program called eBoostr. Its like readyboost but is able to "raid" multiple USB drives, and even extra hard drives to expand on the speed you can retrieve information.

I dont work for em, or anything like that, just a recommendation.

I literally got a HUGE load time boost after doing this with 2 Flash drives on the SCII Beta.
I'd say 2x as fast. (2 x Sandisk Cruzer 2gb)

Thanks for the tip. I just purchased two ready boost drives, a 4GB and a 16GB patriot xporter xt. My ram is limited and my mobo is old so what the heck. Hopefully I'll get a boost from the 4GB and if not I'll grab another and run eboostr either way. The 16 is mostly for my portable stuff or even a bootable OS option. Definitely won't be using it full time for a ram boost.

Back