• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a quiet sink for a i7 860

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JaY_III

Senior of BX
Looking for a sink for the wifes computer.
Will be an:
i7 860
MB will be a Gigabyte P55A-UD3P
in an Antec Sonata III Mid tower

Sinks i have been looking at are:
Scythe Mugen 2 REV.B
Thermalright MUX-120

The scythe slightly worries me as it may block a DIMM slot. I think I should be ok as DIMM 1 is the second closest to the CPU. The price is vary attractive and its my 1st choice as of right now.

Will also say, overclocking will be minimal... Or more so whatever i can do with silence.

Sorry if I am totally out of the heatsink loop right now, but my rig is on water.

Recommend Noctua D-14, few friends are running them fan less at their i7 920 rigs but not OC-ed in case with good airflow without problem.

Since your 860 is cooler than 920, it should be fine, regarding DIMM 1 clearance should be no problem too.

I'm gonna say go with the Ninja 3 as well. I'm using the Ninja 2 RevB in my wife's PC, and barely hear it. If you can't find that, you can pick up a XIGMATEK Balder from Newegg.ca, which is an excellent cooler.

Why did you have to say the D-14???
Had a U-12 on my socket 1366 i7 for a few days while waiting for some water parts to show up....
Very nice, noise should be ok at the low RPM but $$$ and I was trying to avoid that, thus i didnt mention it.

As for the Ninja 3.
Can't seem to find it locally. and i think its beat by the N-14 anyhow.

oh and i like NCIX.com better than newegg. Driving 15-20min is way better than the mail system i think.

Of course D-14 is the mother of all air coolers but this
The price is vary attractive and its my 1st choice as of right now.
made me to suggest Ninja 3 because here it will be at the same price as Mugen 2 and it will be available in 2 weeks from now.
And TBH I don't know another fanless heatsink better than Ninja family and at the same price or less. :)

thanks for the input...
ordered a N-14 as it looks like the Ninja wont be around in my area for a few more weeks also.
Thanks

Back