• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problems with an ASUS Crosshair Formula IV

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Peeved Kitten

I couldn't decide whether I was nuts or if my pc was just screwin with me. I read over my install notes (I take notes to remind myself what I did after a few hundred thousand installs it all blurs together) I think it is a MOBO/BIOS issue.

here's what happened:

I built out the system, tossed in my win7 64bit ultimate dvd.

I installed my os to my 32gb SSD startup drive.

I installed all my drivers and support utilites, IE: CPU Z and other tools. The system showed stability after roughly 30 reboots and then 10 minutes of Prime95.

I downloaded the most recent BIOS update and uploaded it to my usb key.

I used the EZ Flash 2 utility and updated the bios.

I rebooted to a (insert boot device and press any key) screen.

I checked the BIOS since the update reset the defaults.

No matter what defaults were set it refused to boot to the drive.

I had to re-install the OS from scratch again. While it's not THAT big of a deal it does make me worry, am I going to be re-installing for every BIOS update? If so Anyone know a decent usb install utility for Win7 64bit? lol

When you installed windows initially, did you configure the drives for IDE compatibility, RAID or ACHI in the storage section of bios? My experience is if the when drives are configured for ACHI initially, when you flash the bios it sets it back to the default IDE compatibility mode which is now, strange as it sounds, incompatible. So, before trying to reboot after a bios flash, go in and make sure that option is as it should be.

Most people suggest using ACHI for SSD's, but mine runs extremely well in IDE mode so I never changed that. I guess I also lucked out in not having to reinstall after a bios update.

To the OP, did you set boot device priority? Although I don't have to reinstall, after a bios update, I get a "boot manager compressed" or "boot manager missing" error because it sets the first boot drive to my storage drive.

Back