• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New 1090t 4ghz funbox

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That is right, your CPU ends up using less voltage under load, which translates to lower temperatures, however it can cause instability during idle due to incredibly high voltages at the same clocks. I think you have a grasp on it. It is really difficult to deal with. I'll post what my Vdroop looks like when I get a chance to test it on my CHIV. I'm happy about better temps on load though, Higher overclocks are nice!

Have several errands to run tonight so I don't know if I will have time to play with it to much. However, I definitely will get my bios settings posted up as well as my actual voltage via PC-probe and using a volt meter on the board itself. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on more data regarding how accurate CPU-z and the PC-probe app are.

So funny, I have grown up with computers and have worked in this industry for 14 years now and I'm just starting to discover how much damned fun OCing is. I'm afraid I can safely say I'm hooked. Oddly enough, my wife is even interested and trying to learn!

After reading what Dolk posted on the 8-series thread I'm sure that V-droop is caused by LLC. MY system is rock solid stable even though I have a gnarly V-droop.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong in this assumption:
If you have a large V-droop like I do your CPU is running on less voltage and therefore runs cooler. So in a way, with LLC off and just stabilizing through the V-droop you are under-volting your CPU right?

Obviously if I'm running at 1.356 I should run cooler than if I were running 1.45. I've heard idle time can cause stability issues with a large V-droop, however my system runs folding@home 24/7, so it's never truly idle.

Am I understanding all this right?
That's right! :) For rigs like ours that run 24/7 @ 100% the whole vDroop/vDrop thing is mostly irrelevant - but you do have to compensate by setting the higher vCore in BIOS.

I was wondering, though - does your voltage fluctuate under load? I know it droops but once it's at 1.356v does it stay there ±0.01v or so? If it's solid under load then you're good to go, if it's not that can cause stability issues ...

I was wondering, though - does your voltage fluctuate under load? I know it droops but once it's at 1.356v does it stay there ±0.01v or so? If it's solid under load then you're good to go, if it's not that can cause stability issues ...

I have around a .09 to .1 vdroop, and mine will wiggle a little between 1.416 and 1.424, but not often for 4.0ghz

at 4.1ghz I went from around 1.456v to 1.464v, still 100% stable... 4.2 is proving to be a bit more challenging, plus I'm going for bus speed this time around instead of a multi-bump, So i have more voltages to tweak. I'm determined. Theoretically by my calculations 4.3ghz might be my air cooling limit.

That's right! :) For rigs like ours that run 24/7 @ 100% the whole vDroop/vDrop thing is mostly irrelevant - but you do have to compensate by setting the higher vCore in BIOS.

It's usually a step down sort of thing. It sits at 4.1, and as the load increases it drops. 1.356 is the lowest it goes, weirdly though as I push it harder it gets lower.

When I'm running folding@home and bfbc2, I sit at like 1.38. If I push it with w-prime or prime95 it drops to 1.356. The system is 1 week stable now so I'm not horrifically concerned, the only time I got it to crash was when I hit the sleep button while launching bc2.

If I had stability issues I would be pissed but the fact that I can run 4 ghz @ 1.356 kind of evens it out for me. Top temp under 100% load is about 41 c depending on ambient of course.

Top temp under 100% load is about 41 c depending on ambient of course.

That is interesting... At 100% load for 2 hours at 4ghz @1.416V i hit 39C max, and just to see how ambient temps affected it I ran furmark at the same time to heat up my 5970, and it still did not affect it by more than a degree Celcius.

That is interesting that when you set it higher, it does not help your overclock... Sounds like something strange is going on.

That is interesting... At 100% load for 2 hours at 4ghz @1.416V i hit 39C max, and just to see how ambient temps affected it I ran furmark at the same time to heat up my 5970, and it still did not affect it by more than a degree Celcius.

That is interesting that when you set it higher, it does not help your overclock... Sounds like something strange is going on.

My processor is not my hold up in OCing past 4ghz. I believe that issue rests with RAM and an underpowered UPS.

I should have a new UPS today and I'll pick up some ram that is more OC friendly than what I currently have. If I change anything at all with RAM, I am instantly unstable.

That is very strange, Lets set what you can post after you get your new PSU in. It was much easier to find stability at 4.1 for me without LLC. My mobo and RAM are loving the bus speed bump, So I'm sticking with a 20 multi.

You can check out my 4.1 stable numbers in my thread for reference! I hope you can stabilize your Vdroop some with a new PSU. I really hope it helps.

PS: Is my NH-D14 out performing your liquid cooling at 4.0ghz?

That is very strange, Lets set what you can post after you get your new PSU in. It was much easier to find stability at 4.1 for me without LLC. My mobo and RAM are loving the bus speed bump, So I'm sticking with a 20 multi.

You can check out my 4.1 stable numbers in my thread for reference! I hope you can stabilize your Vdroop some with a new PSU. I really hope it helps.

PS: Is my NH-D14 out performing your liquid cooling at 4.0ghz?

Not sure after an hour of bench testing with prime95 my max temp is 41 c. Ambient temp when this test was done was 83 f. I don't have AC where I am at and it was 85 f in the room according to my exterior thermometer by my door.

Ok, that makes sense then. I'm at about 74F in my house, so that may be affecting the temps. I'm still impressed with the NH-D14 though. I can hardly wait for you to get the new PSU so we can clock a little higher.

Ok, that makes sense then. I'm at about 74F in my house, so that may be affecting the temps. I'm still impressed with the NH-D14 though. I can hardly wait for you to get the new PSU so we can clock a little higher.

just checked my new-egg order. I placed it yesterday at 9:21 it should be here today, I took all the free shipping options and only added rush order. I'm super excited as well. I will build the PC out and take pics and post them. (my old PSU is a mess and I didn't wanna post pics of it lol)

That is fine! I need to clean up my cable mess too. Blocking most of the airflow coming from my bottom fan. Let's see how pretty you can make it. I will pretty mine up when I have more time. Right now my girlfriend is on me about spending too much time on my PC... and too much money also, but then again she wants to spend more money on other things... She has a Cintiq 21UX for her art which retails at $2,000.00 so, she can handle it. I will probably go out tonight for a friend's birthday so I may not get my 4.2 stable settings until saturday or sunday.

They ship that fast?

Have they given you a tracking # yet, just wondering because I ordered parts and it's only on the part where they charged my card.

They ship that fast?

Have they given you a tracking # yet, just wondering because I ordered parts and it's only on the part where they charged my card.

I have tracking info, and it's already on the truck out for delivery. I've had it take a lot longer before though.

My wife won't admit it but she loves computers. I can dump 10k into one and she doesn't care because it means in about a year it'll be hers. lol

I'm going to build out a custom acrylic case once we move out. After having seen the online offerings, I think I can do it better. It's just interesting timing because we are packing up to move soon, Once we get settled I intend to start building.

new toys!

So, I got my stuff in! A new headset and PSU greeted me at the door as I got home from work.

Here is my old PSU coming out of the case. My wife reminded me to take pics, so nothing of the start.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The shiny's!

My old BFG is on the right, the new Rosewill on the left.

I only need a couple of the cables... LOL

here it is Tidied up. I absolutely can't stand this case, it's an apevia o-hunk-o-crap.

I have plans for a very large, very custom project. Incidentally, AutoCAD runs REALLY well on my new Thuban :)

Right off the bat the system was unstable. I had to change my voltage, my Vdroop is 1/3rd now. I'm going to start playing with faster overclocks shortly. I have a lot to do this weekend though.

Sorry, I promise I will try to punctuate every post with pics. I'm a firm believer in the more data the better.

Looks Great! I also agree with the more data the better! The more data you have, the more you think about it. The more you think about it, the more conclusions you can come up with. The more conclusions you come up with, the better your decision making will be.

Let's see what happens now! I hope you out-clock me with your 1090T!

I tried for roughly an hour today to get my system to stay stable at 4.2 ghz and it was a total no go. I think it's my ram, this stuff is really finnicky.

I learned about mineral submersion today. I don't intend to do it with any kind of real performance rig, my wife is in love with the fish tank look though and wants one badly.

We went to the pet store to grab a fish tank to toss my old Athlon X-2 in. Instead of the 6 gallon tank for a pc we ended up with a 10 gallon tank and our first snake. I have now adopted a cat a dog and a snake on impulse, damn animals for being cute and neat!

Anyways, I am now thinking up some nifty case designs involving a base with an atrium above being heated by the cpu air.... Ooooh idea's!

Anyways the new baby's name is Wonky and I'm sure he will help in reaching 4.2 ghz!

You should be able to run at 2000 Cas 6 with those sticks.

Back