• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ga 890fxa ud4 fsb overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
:welcome: to OCF!

First off, there is no FSB on AMD systems and hasn't been since before socket 939, which came out in 2005. What you are calling the FSB is really the HTRef and it is a reference clock only. It carries no data so making it run faster isn't going to improve performance other than how it effects the speed of other components. The CPU, cpuNB, RAM, and HT Link all take the HTRef and multiply it by their own individual multipliers to get their individual speeds. When you increase the HTRef you also increase the speeds of ALL your other components, not just the CPU.

From the looks of your screen shots I'd say your RAM is probably overclocked too much and that's what's holding you back. The best thing to do when starting out is turn the HTRef back down to 200 MHz and use the individual multipliers for overclocking. Here is a good thread on how to overclock your Phenom II: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=596023

Good luck and keep us posted ... :)

What is your system? Go to User CP and then click on Edit Signature and put in your system info. If you are using DDR3 1600 then you want to set it to 1333 speed before you raise the HTRef clock. If that CPU is a BE then you can just use the multi to OC. Either way you should start over as QuietIce said.

What is your system? Go to User CP and then click on Edit Signature and put in your system info. If you are using DDR3 1600 then you want to set it to 1333 speed before you raise the HTRef clock. If that CPU is a BE then you can just use the multi to OC. Either way you should start over as QuietIce said.

Thanks btw. I'm a dumb noob and didn't know how to change the signature.

Anyway i do have the BE but the reason i was trying to raise the HT ref was to overclock my ram. The ram installed is rated for 2000Mhz. KHX2000C9D3T1K2/4GX

Also I did restart my OC and was able to get a stable 3.8Ghz. HTref at 225, HT link/NB freq 2475 and ram at 1800mhz. The timing on the ram was a little lose at 9-10-9-27 but has no errors. I've seen reviews out there that have the same ram running at 2000mhz with timing down to 7-9-7-21 but on a intel board.

Last edited:
Thanks btw. I'm a dumb noob and didn't know how to change the signature.

Anyway i do have the BE but the reason i was trying to raise the HT ref was to overclock my ram. The ram installed is rated for 2000Mhz. KHX2000C9D3T1K2/4GX
For overall system performance the RAM speed is third in the race with the CPU waaaay out in front and cpuNB in second. ((Besides, anything above 800 MHz, that's DDR3-1600, won't increase your performance and it usually adds instability.))**

Get a good, solid overclock of your CPU and cpuNB first and leave the RAM at 1600 for now. Once you've got the CPU and cpuNB 'clocked you can play with the RAM all you want. :)

Edit:
If you've got a 955BE C3 you should be able to hit close to 4.0 GHz with a cpuNB of maybe 2600. If you can make it there you've done something. ;)

**See the last two pics in post #5 and the first pic of post #6 in this thread - that's where the RAM tests are. You'll notice the Everest and SiSandra scores in the first and last are near the same even though the RAM is running 1600 in the first and 2000 in the second. Only the middle test shows a marked increase and that's where the cpuNB is faster then the others (2247 MHz instead of 2006 MHz, which is stock) ...

Last edited:
For overall system performance the RAM speed is third in the race with the CPU waaaay out in front and cpuNB in second. ((Besides, anything above 800 MHz, that's DDR3-1600, won't increase your performance and it usually adds instability.))

Get a good, solid overclock of your CPU and cpuNB first and leave the RAM at 1600 for now. Once you've got the CPU and cpuNB 'clocked you can play with the RAM all you want. :)

Edit:
If you've got a 955BE C3 you should be able to hit close to 4.0 GHz with a cpuNB of maybe 2600. If you can make it there you've done something ... ;)

Will do when i get home. Thanks for all your help. I know it can be annoying answering some of these noob questions but i do appreciate the time you spend on helping.

Dude I just did. Finally got a stable 4.0Ghz. 4018Mhz with a NB frequency of 2612Mhz to be exact. It was the heat wall that was holding me back. I finally received a set of fan clips for my Venomous X, through thermalright, which allowed me to set up a push/pull system and was able to drop my load temps down 4-5C. (That and figured out in the bios how to turn off the Auto Smart Fan Control and run all the system fans at 100%) :attn:

I just finished a hour OCCT Linpack test without any errors while before running that test would cause a crash within 5-10 minutes. Going to start a 8hour prime95 blend test tonight just to be safe but if it passed the Linpack i'm pretty sure its going to pass the blend.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Back