• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[O/C]Cooler Master HAF-X Case Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Im wondering the same thing^^^ ive searched everywhere to find someone thats top mounted the thermochill pa140.3 but no luck.im not sure if the rad will mount along with the fans or not. hopefully someone will respond before i have to order a rad next week. im also wondering if anyone knows where to get a blue led 230mm fan to replace the front fan?

I guess one could take the dimensions of the radiator + fans and see if it ''fits'' that way, but just like you, I would prefer to see someone who has already done it...

It threw me off a bit about the size saying 200X230 until I took my 932 apart and realized that even though they call them 230mm fans they are actually the 200X230mm fans installed in the case. I had to remove the screws on the front fan then role it 90 degree's so it was 200mm tall and 230mm wide in order to slide it out so I could paint the inside of my case.

thanks for that :thup: i actually checked frozencpu but only saw the 200mm listing.
my 25mm 120.3 wont fit period. so im going to go with a xspc rx360 and try to find a way to integrate the tc later on.

EDIT:the tc 140.3 will not fit, its to long by a inch or so :(

What, are you sure? Are you HAF X is 589mm long, the PA140.3 is only 480mm. Where did the 109 mm go?
Edit: Never mind, it fits physically but the mounting holes don't line up. Plus some cutting would be required for the ends of the radiator to breathe. I'm a lawyer not a machinist so guess I'm going with a 120.3.

Last edited:
Just purchased this case for my build after reading comments and getting recommendations from here for the HAF series. I have to say its a very nice case. I was impressed with the amount of room inside and how easy it was to install everything. The PSU i got barely managed to reach the CPU power connector, tho im glad CM included an extension for that.

I do want to post a more updated info. The HAF-x I got came with INTERNAL USB 3.0 headers, with a conversion cable to external. So apparently CM has updated the case an it no longer uses the external pass-though as a default. This was a Very nice surprise when i got my case, as i had purchased a converter to use with it, and didn't need it. Kudos to CM for updating the line.

My only single (minor) issue with this case.. I was aware of its possibility. The CPU cutout for my mother board is a little too small. Though i put an aftermarket on to start with so hopefully i wont have to change the rear bracket from now on. But its something to be aware of.

I love the mat black finish on both inside and out. The Red LED isnt too bright, which is fine for me and id like to find a way to use the LED switch to control All the case lights eventually.

Overall, im very happy with this case. :)

I just received my HAFX and ran across this discussion on a MOB Fit issue. The alignment of the mounts do not allow the cards to lineup correctly with the case slots)

http://forum.coolermaster.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15143

I have not ordered my MOB yet and am wondering if anyone has run into this problem? If so is there a known mod to correct the mounts? If I find I have the problem I can figure out mob, but i though I would check-in with you first.
Thanks.

I just received my HAFX and ran across this discussion on a MOB Fit issue. The alignment of the mounts do not allow the cards to lineup correctly with the case slots)

http://forum.coolermaster.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15143

I have not ordered my MOB yet and am wondering if anyone has run into this problem? If so is there a known mod to correct the mounts? If I find I have the problem I can figure out mob, but i though I would check-in with you first.
Thanks.

Eeehh, yeeeaa.. My HafX does do this, but not to the extreme that the pics you linked show. My case does it very slightly where i need to push the back-plate little to screw it in, but it doesn't unseat the card from the PCI slots. Ive had alot of cases do that so i really didn't give it a second thought.

As a reference, the pic you linked showed the place completely covering the screw hole, mine on the other hand (mind you i only have a single 'dual slot' video card installed) only covers about 1/4, maaybe 1/2 of the hole, so it didnt take much to get it into place.

The other thing i notice about those pics, is the Motherboard doesnt look like its secured to the back (ie its not screwed in). Not sure why hes installing PCI cards on an unsecured mobo, but that may (or may not) have something to do with the misalignment.

But, if you have a mobo and card you can use to test it, id install them and see if your case has this problem, and how bad if so.

Last edited:
I will certainly check the alignment carefully, prescrew-down. I am planning on the ASUS Rampage IV Extreme and was looking for a specific dimension of the nearest MOB standoff screw from the closest card cutout. Like standoff center 2.30mm up and 8.45mm forward from the top edge of the third card opening from the top...something like that. But I'm guessing no body has that kind of data if there rigs are already assembled and working. All the rest have already done an RMA. Well when mine comes in I'll pass along my numbers an a pic or two to help keep this lively.
Thanks.

Back