• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newb question about HT Link and NB frequency

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

soulwatch5

As of right now I have a stable 3.8Ghz overclock on my 955BE by just changing my multiplier to 19 and upping the voltage a little and wanted to start on OC the NB Frequency. The question I had was when I start to overclock do I overclock both the NB Freq and the HT link the same or do one at a time?

I've seen overclock pics where the HT Link are set the same and also where they are set lower then the NB Freq. Performance wise, is it better to keep them at the same speed or just need to overclock the NB freq for increase in performance? I've looked at DOLK's guild but couldn't really find a answer for this.

Another question I had that probably should be on its on another thread, but don't really want to waste space on the forum board, is which is the best stress test to run to test for stability for the NB overclock. I've used OTTC to test my cpu overclock but is that a good test for the NB overclock? Or should i switch to prime95 or orthos?

For the 955 BE, the HT-Link stays close to 2000-2200. For the Thuban X6, the HT Link pretty much stays with the CPU-NB.

As of right now I have a stable 3.8Ghz overclock on my 955BE by just changing my multiplier to 19 and upping the voltage a little and wanted to start on OC the NB Frequency. The question I had was when I start to overclock do I overclock both the NB Freq and the HT link the same or do one at a time?

I've seen overclock pics where the HT Link are set the same and also where they are set lower then the NB Freq. Performance wise, is it better to keep them at the same speed or just need to overclock the NB freq for increase in performance? I've looked at DOLK's guild but couldn't really find a answer for this.

Another question I had that probably should be on its on another thread, but don't really want to waste space on the forum board, is which is the best stress test to run to test for stability for the NB overclock. I've used OTTC to test my cpu overclock but is that a good test for the NB overclock? Or should i switch to prime95 or orthos?
OCCT is fine or Prime95 Blend ...

For the 955 BE, the HT-Link stays close to 2000-2200. For the Thuban X6, the HT Link pretty much stays with the CPU-NB.

I'm not so sure about that atleast with my thuban. I had my cpu-nb at 2600 for 4 ghz overclock and anything above 2000 for my htlink and my system would immediately lock up from just opening random programs in windows. With it at 1960 or 1980 (i forget which), it was prime stable until I stopped it (8 hours).

I'm not so sure about that atleast with my thuban. I had my cpu-nb at 2600 for 4 ghz overclock and anything above 2000 for my htlink and my system would immediately lock up from just opening random programs in windows. With it at 1960 or 1980 (i forget which), it was prime stable until I stopped it (8 hours).

Meathead, interesting that you had this issue. I am trying to OC a 955BE and I can get it to 3.8ghz at 2400NB-FID but if I try to jump it up to 2600 weird things happen. Are you saying you had to take your HT down to 1980/1960 in order to get your NB-FID up to 2600 and stable?

Meathead, interesting that you had this issue. I am trying to OC a 955BE and I can get it to 3.8ghz at 2400NB-FID but if I try to jump it up to 2600 weird things happen. Are you saying you had to take your HT down to 1980/1960 in order to get your NB-FID up to 2600 and stable?
Usually with the X4's it's best to keep the HT Link at or below 2000 MHz. In some cases it helps to decrease it farther, down into the 12-1600 MHz range ...

Thanks QuietIce, sorry I'm new to OC'ing and trying my first real attempt at it and having some issue's so I am trying to figure out what is happening. I just checked my bios and noticed that HT Link speed was set to auto and am hoping that if I set it to manual and drop it a bit that I can get the NB-FID up to 2600. This is assuming that having the NB-FID at 2600 is better than having the HT Link speed at 2000? Is this correct?

Right now I am at:
3.8ghz using 19 multiplier on a 955BE for 3800mhz
CPU-VID is 1.4 Volts
NB-FID is at 2400 (this is what is stalling me when I go to 2600 everything goes weird on me)
NB-VID is at 1.125 Volts

Unless you're running dual high-end video the HT Link at 14-1600 MHz is plenty so there's no real performance hit there. Most people keep it near 2000 MHz because many systems prefer it there - but it's not a hard rule at all.

Any increase in cpuNB speed will help L3 cache performance as well as RAM performance, which is generally a good thing. :)

Post a link to your thread - I did see one didn't I ...?

Back